Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

Tommy Maidens Bedford low loader back in 1954.

Can anyone give any more info on this Gorton carrier early 60s, possibly an owner driver with Beaman’s.
Gorton - Seddon.png

J H Peck on site clearance

John Biestys old garage off Rochdale Road Collyhurst M/Chester.

Stanfield:
J H Peck on site clearance

Great working scene John, looks like the Mancunian Way in the back ground.

Another site clearance around Manchester during the 60s by Connell & Finnigan. The Albion in the background looks like one of George Waddacors carrying Coke/Coal or Clinker which he did on a regular basis during the 60s

ERF belonging to Maconochie Plant

Anyone left who can remember back to 1963? There was a little guy running three tippers. His name was Jeff Pheasey. He had two six wheelers, one being an Albion and one four wheeler. Did coal and coke round Manchester and also hauled stone out of Hillhead quarry. Met him the other day. Still in business but not haulage. Think when he’s gone they’ll write on his headstone ‘Rules are there to be broken’. Bit of a character.

Taken approaching the Rochdale Road junction in Collyhurst in 1961, does anyone know where Brigg’s yard was ?

Briggs Austin at the junction of Rochdale Rd & Collyhurst St in April '61..png

Don’t know who owned this Chinese six Commer, but it was at the Victoria Ave / Rochdale Rd junction in Blackley in 1962.

Found this in an article by Ian Fairclough from Australia in the recent Vintage Roadside Magazine about Edbro tippers from Bolton.
Short wheel base Austin Loadstar from the fleet of John Biesty Transport Manchester on contract to Coopers Sand.

Stanfield:
Found this in an article by Ian Fairclough from Australia in the recent Vintage Roadside Magazine about Edbro tippers from Bolton.
Short wheel base Austin Loadstar from the fleet of John Biesty Transport Manchester on contract to Coopers Sand.

That photo was taken near to Edbro in Bolton, the distinctive top of the tower of Trinity Church is in the background.

Another couple of photos from Ian Faircloughs (Australia) Collection

Hello
I came on here to find out about Waddacor. I used to go to school at the Parochial in Ashton-under-Lyne in the early 60s.
I remember Waddacor lorries with steaming & dripping clinker coming from Stalybrige, towards Manchester past the schoolyard when it was playtime (I assumed they had been to Heartshead Power Station in Stalybridge).
They used to use Thames Traders - with the little nose on the bonnet.
I never knew where they were based or what thye did with it.
But the thing that reminded me of them was watchin Antiquesg Road Trip - they went to Waddecar Scout Activity Centre near Preston.

Stanfield:

Quite a few firms made a good living from recycling industrial waste such as clinker and boiler ash. There was a company from Westhoughton, it could have been Walter Forshaw, they ran some Bedford QL tippers, that advertised and sold Red Shale. Red shale was the product of slow combustion in colliery waste tips and it was used as road and pathway base material. Power station boiler fly ash was used for concrete bricks and blocks. Now that virtually all the coal fired power stations have closed what are they using for building blocks?

One of a number of AEC Mammoth Majors from the fleet of one time Manchester based coal haulier E&F BEATTIE (Photographer unknown)

Hunts Transport were based in the Clayton area of Manchester closed sometime during the 70s

Is there anyone around that remembers “Sherran’s” they were from Ainsworth Street, Gorton.
They were around in the 50’s and 60’s up untill '69, origionaly running red 6 and 8 wheeler flats, ERF KV and LV’s and a couple of Atkinson’s.
I think their last wagons bought were a couple of Ford D800 artics in '67 with single axle flat trailers.
They did alot of work for “Cary Springs” of Newton Heath, and put some of their wagons in dark blue with Cary Springs lettering, one of them being their only 4 wheeler a “bonneted” Trader, an 8 wheeler ERF LV and one of the D800 units.
Does anyone have any photos of their wagons?

TIPIT:
Is there anyone around that remembers “Sherran’s” they were from Ainsworth Street, Gorton. They were around in the 60’s up untill '69, origionaly running red ERF & Atkinson 8 wheeler flats, but later took on a couple of Ford “D” series artics in '67. They did alot of work for “Cary Springs” of Newton Heath and later put one or two wagons in dark blue with Cary Springs lettering. Does anyone have any photos of their wagons?

Dont remember Sherrans but do remember Cary Springs.Do you remember Thomas Lamb from wellington street gorton they ran a fleet of Dodge tippers in the 50/60s.

Is that John Stanfield, one of Lamb’s mechanics?
Yes I remember Tommy Lamb’s, but I was only about 13 years old when they closed down. I’ve been trying to find someone that knew of them, but so far I’ve only been able to find one old fella from Gorton who remembered them with horse and carts.
My dad Eddie Hartley drove for them for about 10 years, he got one of the first of the two 500 series they got in 1966. Two 6 wheelers with ■■■■■■■ V8’s that were brush painted maroon in the new garage. Then just before they finished in '68, those two 6 wheelers got traded in at Gordon’s Stockport, against three D1000’s ( 2 x 360 Turbo’s and a Perkin’s V8 ) he took one of the Turbo’s over as an owner driver.

This is the only photo I’ve got of their old wagons taken in 1960 in Taylor Friths quarry at Dove Holes, did you get any pictures of theirs ?

This was one of the last of the ex Lamb’s tippers.

And a photo of the new garage they had built at the back, in 1964 / 65.

TIPIT:
Is that John Stanfield, one of Lamb’s mechanics?
Yes I remember Tommy Lamb’s, I’ve been trying to find someone that knew of them, but apart from one old fella from Gorton who remembered them with horses, I kept drawing a blank.
My dad Eddie Hartley drove for them for about 10 years, he got one of the first of the two 500 series they got in 1966. Two 6 wheelers with ■■■■■■■ V8’s that were brush painted maroon in the new garage. Then just before they finished in '68, those two 6 wheelers got traded in at Gordon’s Stockport, against three D1000’s and he took one of them over as an owner driver. This is the only photo I’ve got of their old wagons taken in 1960, did you get any, or of the Dormobile?

This was the last of the ex Lamb’s tippers.

And a photo of the new garage they had built at the back, in 1964 / 65.

Hi Tipit yes this is John Stanfield ex Tommy Lambs mechanic.Been looking for old photo 's on interenet for ages and never found any until you posted this one,its great to see.I remember your dad very well and his brother Ron who also worked there.Ron also worked at John Beistys when I went working for them.I started at Lambs in 1962 the first apprentice mechanic they had.Drivers there at the time were My dad Harold Stanfield. Harry White jnr & snr.Bill Gittens.Ted Mason.George Slinger.Wilf (fingers)Kenyon.Eddie NuttallJimmy Hammond plus your Dad & Ron.Dave Lund was mechanic.Bernard Mulvaney was boss.and old Colin (uppy)Upton yard man.