Shelf stacking.

Fuzrat:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

robroy:
I’m thinking you were on for Neil.& Brown, our paths must have crossed on the Zeeby boat in the bar or at breakfast when I was on Brit European up to about 12 years ago.(12 years ffs :open_mouth: ) although you lads tended to keep yourselves to yourselves on there for some reason. :smiley:

I was and before that European Road Freight for many years.
Prior to that G&S International from Greenock.
Lost count of the amount of times I’ve done Hull-Zebe or Hull-Europoort, but I’m sure our paths would’ve crossed.
As for the grumpy bit, it’s an act, I’ve fooled the majority on here with it for years.

Asda pay the shelf stackers more than the drivers believe it or not.

Not sure where you got that little gem from but I can assure you I am on 30% more driving than the rate you quoted for stacking shelves, that’s without any late/night/overtime premium. In fact an hour overtime is worth double your shelf stacking :unamused:

Another thicko that can’t read!
If you bothered to read the thread I was comparing shelf stacking to home delivery drivers wages.
No need to apologise, I’m not interested in reading anything else you have to add.

English driver 1970:
It took many years….but you’ve finally found your level Grumpy.

Only took 24 hours to find yours though didn’t it!
You trouser wetter, went out with 3 deliveries, did one and then cried all the way home taking your other two deliveries with you.
Back laying bricks are you? Or can’t you find your way to work? :unamused:

There are a couple of big equal pay claims going through the courts. Apparently the (mainly) women in the supermarket stores think they are worth what the (mainly) men get at the distribution centres. The argument of the supermarkets is that women are free to apply for distribution centre roles and get paid the same as men when they do.

Seems the cases are about 5 years in and the sum total decision so far is that the roles at stores and distribution centres can be compared (the supermarkets of course taking the cases all the way to the maximum appeal level possible).

Anyway, if the women are successful, may be a sore one for the supermarkets if they have to backdate the pay. Old grumpy may get a few extra quid too.

My prediction is that it will end up that the courts decide that the case has nothing to do with the ■■■ of the employees and that the rates are solely based on the tasks undertaken and the rate of pay required to fill roles and retain staff.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

English driver 1970:
It took many years….but you’ve finally found your level Grumpy.

Only took 24 hours to find yours though didn’t it!
You trouser wetter, went out with 3 deliveries, did one and then cried all the way home taking your other two deliveries with you.
Back laying bricks are you? Or can’t you find your way to work? :unamused:

Yes Grumpy back laying bricks….8 till 4 £250 per day….I’ll save the driving for when the industry gets itself in order and stops treating drivers like the scum of the earth.
Enjoy your new work with the thickos.

English driver 1970:
Yes Grumpy back laying bricks….8 till 4 £250 per day….I’ll save the driving for when the industry gets itself in order and stops treating drivers like the scum of the earth.

Fortunately I’ve come to a stage in my life where I don’t have to chase money, I’m financially secure and am taking a part time job to keep me from being bored, not that I believe that you are earning in excess of £30 an hour for laying bricks you fantasist.
As for calling people you don’t know thicko’s, I’ll tell you what my interpretation of a thicko is, someone who takes out a truck with 3 deliveries, manages 1 then can’t manage to drive out of a service station without damaging it, sits in a lay-by for 5 hours crying and waiting for a fitter to repair it, wets his trousers, cry’s all the way home without doing the other 2 deliveries and then runs home to mummy………. Thicko.
For anybody that’s interested hers your post informing us all how clever you are.

English driver 1970 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 pm

So I went for my 1st job interview Tuesday. Class 2 tramping.
At the interview they knew it was going to be my 1st job.
They said they would keep me local for the week doing shed work. I could start the next day.
Later on in the day they sent an email saying bring overnight bag.
When I turned up on the Wednesday morning, they said I would be going to Felixstowe docks about 10 miles away, then back to them with the load.
Then around lunchtime I’d be on my way to the Northeast for 2 nights.
1st delivery near Scarborough. Then onto Newcastle area for 3 drops, followed by a trip to Carlisle to pick up to take back to there yard in Suffolk.

At the interview it wasn’t mentioned I’d need my own sat nav.
I was given a fuel card, but it wasn’t mentioned that it would only work at some services.
I was told they had an account for truck stops, but didn’t mention only certain truck stops.

I was reluctant to set off especially with no sat nav, but took a chance. Bearing in mind I’ve never even secured a load before. Luckily the forklift driver helped before I set off.

Got to Goole Glew services in Yourkshire by evening where I spent the night.
Next morning I made the 1st delivery, without a sat nav by luck of heading in the right direction. I only have a basic phone and it appears Service areas don’t sell maps anymore.

I refused to drive any further north blindfolded.
I rang the yard and said I was returning before I smashed the truck up and kill myself. And got back around 10pm last night.

The last 36 hours has taught me a few things.

Ask more questions at interviews being 1 of them.

English driver 1970 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:28 pm

I haven’t told the full story of my 30+ hours out on my 1st job.

On route to the 1st delivery driving from overnight stop in Goole Yorkshire to the delivery in Hunasby near Scarborough, I pulled into a small petrol station for directions.

As I pulled away the bottom rear corner of the truck caught a small post protecting the fourcourt air/water supply machine, ripping the truck rear light cluster off.
I carried onto 1st delivery. Once that was done I headed back to the A1 but stopped locally in a lay-by to report back to base regarding the light.
That’s where I stayed for the next 5 hours waiting for a light replacement.

On the approach to the A1 the sign said north or south. Split second decision made me turn south.

WheelsofCardiff:
You think its easy stacking shelves.You wont last its hard work .Remember you have to deal with idiots in the shop.I will give you a few days before you become nightmare shelf stacker

Like customers asking, where is that pile ointment, it used to be on this shelf, proper pain in the arse. :stuck_out_tongue:

I get my lorry fix from Simmo, he keeps me in the loop. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

I assume you mean my old mate Mark on Europa?
Last time I saw him was at the Pitt stop in Vlaardingen.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

malmaz:
I agree with you, I was the same doing Europe but mainly Italy, never used to speak to the office unless we had a problem. I used to work for Walkers of Tuxford , RH Freight, Knights of Old and then for the last 6 years before retirement I worked for Allegro transport doing France twice a week. I must also add that the comradery between drivers then was a lot better than it is today.

If you were on for Walkers of Tuxford we would’ve met, I started with Smiths of Scotter in 1983, was there for quite a few years before I went to G&S.
We would’ve met at either the Bakehouse, Jayat, Mistral,Monkey house, Santhia or Carisio.
All the old haunts in the 80s.

Yes was on for Walkers about 14 years, and loaded many a time out of smiths yard in scotter. had a meal and drink or two in the above we also stopped at the Shell garage at Nantua and also the Pub Bourg en Bresse.
Walkers had a job on down Ancona moving some machines for Magnetti Marelli, was about 6 of us down there including one of Smiths drivers, cant remember his name but he used to be a Barber he gave us all a haircut over the weekend, did a good job as well.

malmaz:
Yes was on for Walkers about 14 years, and loaded many a time out of smiths yard in scotter. had a meal and drink or two in the above we also stopped at the Shell garage at Nantua and also the Pub Bourg en Bresse.
Walkers had a job on down Ancona moving some machines for Magnetti Marelli, was about 6 of us down there including one of Smiths drivers, cant remember his name but he used to be a Barber he gave us all a haircut over the weekend, did a good job as well.

Can’t think who the man with the scissors could’ve been, not sure I would’ve trusted any driver to cut my hair whilst weekended with the amount of Morretti we used to put away.
I’ve stopped at the pub at Bourg-en-Bresse a few times in recent years although it’s now been renamed Le Wagon, still not changed inside or out apart from it not opening at weekends any more.
There is however quite a few restaurants opened up within walking distance but without space for truck parking.
The food there is not the best although the wine isn’t so bad.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Wheel Nut:

Yes, a very good old mate, he has been in the game since he was about 12 years old with his dad and grandad. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Wheel Nut:

Yes, a very good old mate, he has been in the game since he was about 12 years old with his dad and grandad. :laughing:

Many weekends spent with him in Ramstein when he had his own truck and I was on for Dave Riby.

We used to go up to the Blarney Stone in Landshtul on a Saturday night……. Never remember going back to the trucks though.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

English driver 1970:

Fortunately I’ve come to a stage in my life where I don’t have to chase money, I’m financially secure and am taking a part time job to keep me from being bored, not that I believe that you are earning in excess of £30 an hour for laying bricks you fantasist.
As for calling people you don’t know thicko’s, I’ll tell you what my interpretation of a thicko is, someone who takes out a truck with 3 deliveries, manages 1 then can’t manage to drive out of a service station without damaging it, sits in a lay-by for 5 hours crying and waiting for a fitter to repair it, wets his trousers, cry’s all the way home without doing the other 2 deliveries and then runs home to mummy………. Thicko.
For anybody that’s interested hers your post informing us all how clever you are.

Fantasist……Have a look on indeed. Bricklayers across the south east, £230 average upto £270 per day. That’s day work rates……price gangs earning £300 plus.
Fact not fantasy.

Enjoy your £10 an hour shelf stacking….

They said they would keep me local for the week doing shed work. I could start the next day.
When I turned up on the Wednesday morning, they said I would be going to Felixstowe docks about 10 miles away, then back to them with the load.
1st delivery near Scarborough. Then onto Newcastle area for 3 drops, followed by a trip to Carlisle to pick up to take back to there yard in Suffolk.

I was given a fuel card, but it wasn’t mentioned that it would only work at some services.
I was told they had an account for truck stops, but didn’t mention only certain truck stops.

I was reluctant to set off especially with no sat nav, but took a chance. Bearing in mind I’ve never even secured a load before. Luckily the forklift driver helped before I set off.

Next morning I made the 1st delivery, without a sat nav by luck of heading in the right direction. I only have a basic phone and it appears Service areas don’t sell maps anymore.

I rang the yard and said I was returning before I smashed the truck up and kill myself. And got back around 10pm last night.

On route to the 1st delivery driving from overnight stop in Goole Yorkshire to the delivery in Hunasby near Scarborough, I pulled into a small petrol station for directions.

As I pulled away the bottom rear corner of the truck caught a small post protecting the fourcourt air/water supply machine, ripping the truck rear light cluster off.
I carried onto 1st delivery. Once that was done I headed back to the A1 but stopped locally in a lay-by to report back to base regarding the light.

On the approach to the A1 the sign said north or south. Split second decision made me turn south.

English driver 1970:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

English driver 1970:

I’ve never claimed to be clever Grumpy. You just felt the need to attack me for sharing my 1st driving job experience with the wider community. Yes a nightmare 1st experience, but have long got over it. It appears you can’t.
Getting a HGV licence just gives me another option as a 50 year old.
I may or may never use the licence again. So really no big deal to me.
At the moment much better money to be earned elsewhere.

Fantasist……Have a look on indeed. Bricklayers across the south east, £230 average upto £270 per day. That’s day work rates……price gangs earning £300 plus.
Fact not fantasy.

Enjoy your £10 an hour shelf stacking….

I think you done good getting yourself that job.
I’ve heavily considered it a few times as I just do not find truck driving enjoyable. The reason I took my HGV test in the first place was from being a forklift driver and hearing how good truck driving used to be from the old timers. So I stupidly assumed it was still like that.

Shelf stacking is not too bad and it keeps you active. Long as you can keep up with the pace which is not that fast then you should be fine.

Although maybe a forklift job is better for you? I always enjoyed sitting on my forklift chatting crap with the other forkies while watching the driver struggling pulling his curtain back. (Actually 99% of the time I helped with the curtain) Quite enjoyed chatting with the truck drivers as well.

Edit:

Also Grumpy is on like £11 an hour for stacking shelves and I am on £14.30 ish an hour. One of my jobs yesterday was to Trafalgar Square in an artic.
goo.gl/maps/Va2D2pimTabn3jL69
Ye I get an extra £3.30 an hour but driving a truck in central London carries so much more risk and if I make any mistake I could end up in prison. Whereas if Grumpy makes a mistake he has to get a mop to clean up some baked beans.

I still have my discount card for Le Pub last t ime i was there pulled it out and still got a free beer just for the cheek of it