Self employed drivers

Interesting stuff Yoyo.

I’m a self-employed driver (genuinely). In the last year I’ve worked for 8-10 different companies and owner-drivers. As of next year, due to a change in my circumstances I will work every Friday for Customer A, every Saturday for Customer B and occasional nights for Customer C.

Customer A says I need to go ‘on the books’. Customer B says I don’t. I do a proper tax return, everything is in order and IMO I’m self-employed as I work for who I want, when I want. However, reading the HMRC website I have a nasty feeling Customer A is right - I need to go on the books.

Does this apply to every customer though? Most of my customers are owner-drivers, sometimes I might do a single day and then nothing for months. Are they really supposed to put me on the books as an employee to do a couple of 9hr shifts per annum?

hammer:
Interesting stuff Yoyo.

I’m a self-employed driver (genuinely). In the last year I’ve worked for 8-10 different companies and owner-drivers. As of next year, due to a change in my circumstances I will work every Friday for Customer A, every Saturday for Customer B and occasional nights for Customer C.

Customer A says I need to go ‘on the books’. Customer B says I don’t. I do a proper tax return, everything is in order and IMO I’m self-employed as I work for who I want, when I want. However, reading the HMRC website I have a nasty feeling Customer A is right - I need to go on the books.

Does this apply to every customer though? Most of my customers are owner-drivers, sometimes I might do a single day and then nothing for months. Are they really supposed to put me on the books as an employee to do a couple of 9hr shifts per annum?

Customer A is wrong Hammer. HRMC would soon tell you, when you sent in your tax return if it was otherwise.
Cheers Dave.

hammer:
Interesting stuff Yoyo.

:smiley: :smiley:

Hi Hammer, All of this self employed really is a can of worms !! In your case I would say that you could continue working as you do, the reasons being that you are not working for one employer and the regulations really only state that you cannot work for one employer for an extended length of time just supplying labour as self employed, ( as I stated before that’s weeks rather than months ) but as your working for more than one employee then you should be okay, Even if customer A wants you to go on the books you could still continue self employed for the others,just declare it on your self assessment forms, and as tax is stopped at source then it keeps your books straight.,.,.

Have a look here the results can quite surprising, Work - GOV.UK status indicator