Self driving trucks,driving me up the wall!

Sploom:

edd1974:
watched some BBC news programme thing in the early hours. there’s a fleet of self driving taxis in San Francisco.
Reporter orded it on his phone turns up at your address no driver at all you get in back seat and it takes drives you to destination.
Seemed to work altough he said was a bit slow and cautious .
Been around. Few months apparently.
Is amazing what they can do these days.
Yet also frightening as well. Esp if the system failed or was hacked into

Yes,scarey.I wouldnt get into one,no way

They are getting closer to us (almost)

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … s-63158295

robroy:
So basically that particular aspect of tech on DAFs are unfit for purpose, bordering on dangerous if they are doing what are essentially emergency stops every so often…so why were they passed for production before being perfected,?
At least I know now to keep my distance when following the [zb] things in future.

If you press the accelerator,it cancels it,also it doesnt slam the brakes on full to begin with,so you get used knowing when its in emergency brake mode.It happens sometimes when you are coming up to bollards and depending on the curve of the road,it cant tell the difference between a bollard and a stationary vehicle

robroy:
So basically that particular aspect of tech on DAFs are unfit for purpose, bordering on dangerous if they are doing what are essentially emergency stops every so often…so why were they passed for production before being perfected,?
At least I know now to keep my distance when following the [zb] things in future.

I’m always puzzled that I’ve never ever once had AEBS activate because of bridges or street furniture. Also worth noting that they do warn you before they apply brakes

AdamST205:
The self driving doesn’t bother me in the new Actros. Even the mirrors. It’s all the other car stuff that I hate.

The electronic handbrake is useless and doesn’t work half the time. There is nothing wrong with the old fashioned method.

The heating controls all on a touch screen or flat buttons that have zero tactile feel and is a distraction and not safe. Daf’s and Scania’s clicking knobs are perfect as you can feel how much you go up or down without having to look down at all.

Push to start is rubbish. Turn a key and instant on and off you go. Turn your engine off in a jam or lights and it only takes a split second to get going again. Actros you push and hold the button, wait for the dash to come on and wait for an eternity for the engine to start only to have to deal with that stupid handbrake again!

A lot of people in suits reinventing the wheel for the sake of it rather than thinking if it is actually better.

I rather like the push to start. You don’t have to hold it down, so it only takes a fraction of a second, then you can do something else while it starts.

Also the handbrake works well for me, I hardly ever touch it. Put it in gear to disengage, put it in neutral and switch off to engage (or just switch off), stopping in traffic just use hill hold control. So no need to ever touch it.

edd1974:
1st thing I do in my daf is turn off the stupid aebs and the crossing the lane system.as fed up at times of doing an emergency stop for no reason.

The AEBS on my DAF had a melt down when the heavens opened up earlier…lol

Instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree and the bells sounded, because the rain was heavy and it said the camera was blocked then took itself out of cruise.

stu675:
Also the handbrake works well for me, I hardly ever touch it. Put it in gear to disengage, put it in neutral and switch off to engage (or just switch off), stopping in traffic just use hill hold control. So no need to ever touch it.

I avoid all those with the electric park brake, for fear the day I get back in a traditional handbrake truck I’ll still try to use the ‘features’.

Stephenjp:

edd1974:
1st thing I do in my daf is turn off the stupid aebs and the crossing the lane system.as fed up at times of doing an emergency stop for no reason.

Instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree and the bells sounded, because the rain was heavy and it said the camera was blocked then took itself out of cruise.

wait untill it snows then lol.
on the grill someware theres a black lump.box thing ot ir its coloured matched to the grill. best way to describe.it
thats the sensors that are always blocked… somone once told me possibly daf dealer or mv commercials. that this should be wiped down every day with a cloth as part of your daily walk arouind checks.

edd1974:

Stephenjp:

edd1974:

wait untill it snows then lol.
on the grill someware theres a black lump.box thing ot ir its coloured matched to the grill. best way to describe.it
thats the sensors that are always blocked… somone once told me possibly daf dealer or mv commercials. that this should be wiped down every day with a cloth as part of your daily walk arouind checks.

You can turn everything possible off, but bit of snow and itll flash and scream at you that it isnt working.
A minute later it might clear, then another minute and it`s screaming again.

The cure is 5 litres of 4* and a box of matches.

Yeh it’s a pretty ■■■■ poor system that malfunctions when the weather turns crap lol
Walkabouts checks now involve cleaning the radar…

edd1974:
[ this should be wiped down every day with a cloth as part of your daily walk arouind checks.

Why isn’t it installed in the windscreen then? Cleaned by the wipers.

stu675:

edd1974:
[ this should be wiped down every day with a cloth as part of your daily walk arouind checks.

The same reason it doesn`t have a heated cover to melt off ice, or a high pressure water or air-jet where it is?

We are losing our fleet of rather tired 65 plate MANs, getting a new fleet of Dafs (mix of XF and XG). The first two XGs are already on site so that we can be given a “familiarisation demonstration” before the rest arrive next week.

Driver trainer took one of them literally round the block to check how things work for himself. Had to defect it on return due to Engine Warning light coming on (well, it is a Daf…).

As a couple of the MANs have already gone, another driver was allocated one of the new units for a simple run out to Thetford and back.

Had to defect that on his return as the CC stopped working and various EBS and trailer brake warnings intermittently popped up. Oh, and most of the swoopy electronic dash display had disappeared too.

I had my “familiarisation” from the driver trainer yesterday. He couldn’t show me the satnav as that had apparently already stopped working, although it had worked OK when the truck arrived. Oh - and the foldaway function on the camera arms (which we are told we must use when getting the lorry washed) couldn’t be coaxed into action either…

Nice lorries though - although the impressive living space, fridge etc is a bit unnecessary for us as we don’t do nights out. And why, oh why are so many of the minor controls etc accessed via touch screens and on-screen menus which cannot be operated without taking your eyes off the road?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Franglais:

stu675:

edd1974:

The same reason it doesn`t have a heated cover to melt off ice, or a high pressure water or air-jet where it is?

I’ve never seen those, but every single decent car has an array of sensors in front of the rear view mirror all swept by the wipers, like on my Actros (although not all the sensors, or the wipers are ineffective as the adaptive cc will still drop out)

stu675:

Franglais:

stu675:

edd1974:

I’ve never seen those, but every single decent car has an array of sensors in front of the rear view mirror all swept by the wipers, like on my Actros (although not all the sensors, or the wipers are ineffective as the adaptive cc will still drop out)

Cars also have the distance sensor (Radar) mounted in the front grill. it needs to be mounted fairly low and “sees” horizontally. If it was high mounted it would need to be angled down, and would “see” the ground. The cameras “see” white lines and are looking closer than the radar, so can be angled down a bit.

And nope, I havent seen heaters or washers on those radar sensors anywhere either. I can imagine that a metallic heater element might be opaque to radio, but I cant imagine why a wash/anti-freeze system isn`t installed? Anyone?

Roymondo:
We are losing our fleet of rather tired 65 plate MANs, getting a new fleet of Dafs (mix of XF and XG). The first two XGs are already on site so that we can be given a “familiarisation demonstration” before the rest arrive next week.

Driver trainer took one of them literally round the block to check how things work for himself. Had to defect it on return due to Engine Warning light coming on (well, it is a Daf…).

As a couple of the MANs have already gone, another driver was allocated one of the new units for a simple run out to Thetford and back.

Had to defect that on his return as the CC stopped working and various EBS and trailer brake warnings intermittently popped up. Oh, and most of the swoopy electronic dash display had disappeared too.

I had my “familiarisation” from the driver trainer yesterday. He couldn’t show me the satnav as that had apparently already stopped working, although it had worked OK when the truck arrived. Oh - and the foldaway function on the camera arms (which we are told we must use when getting the lorry washed) couldn’t be coaxed into action either…

Nice lorries though - although the impressive living space, fridge etc is a bit unnecessary for us as we don’t do nights out. And why, oh why are so many of the minor controls etc accessed via touch screens and on-screen menus which cannot be operated without taking your eyes off the road?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

As I understand it switches are awkward and expensive.
Once you accept the cost of installing a screen and computor, why pay extra for switches, and wiring?
Switches are extra hardware that can fail, and every one needs extra wiring and connectors.
Cheaper to throw all the mechanical gubbins away really.

Not something I like, but the unsurprising reason: Money.