Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

I was there 63/64 ■■

The first picture in the link was one of the other branches of the college where we studied for 2nd mates ticket, it was based along with the ‘Mariners Hotel’ at the corner of West India Dock road and Commercial road. It was quite unusual for the area at the time as it was silver service for meals with liveried waitresses. The local bank managers and similar would come round for their lunches.
Also the police found us useful for line out parades, as a crew of fit & healthy, often well-tanned and usually tidily dressed young men made the ‘Defendant’ look pretty obvious.

The Pre-sea school was in Redlands Primary School, Redmonds Road, Whitechapel, a temporary base after the original was destroyed by WW2 bombs and until the new college was built at Tower Hill. We had the upper floors, one of it’s claims was that Joseph Conrad had taught there

There is an old hands thread on King Edward VII Nautical College 1964 | Ships Nostalgia might be some posters there that you knew

I’ll have a look later, a bit on the busy side at the moment. But the building you refer to in the first picture was the one where I was taught, it was the only one, apart from Poplar Tech which we went to for some subjects. That was in Sydney street, famous before the 1st WW as the site of a standoff/shootout between anarchists and armed police with Home Secretary Winston Churchill directing operations.

We seem to remember the same locations, but slightly differently
Sydney Street was just round the corner from Redmond Rd.

Poplar Tech where we went to be taught about Wheatstone Bridges by men in brown warehouse coats - Interesting?? NOT !! - I think it’s now a Mosque & community centre nearby the Blackwall tunnel entrance.

Buzzer

307148779_6028276477185958_7345936922088070393_n.jpg

whisperingsmith:
There is an old hands thread on King Edward VII Nautical College 1964 | Ships Nostalgia might be some posters there that you knew

Just had time to look in there, most of the posters were, like you, in a different year to me, only one seemd familiar. But the irascible old captain I mentioned earlier, he of the anti-Jewish comment, I think was Captain Woods, described also as wanting to hang Jehovahs Witnesses from the roof :open_mouth: Seems to fit the profile I remember.

I tried to join but it said I was already a member :unamused: and I vaguely remember being involved in a ‘St. John’ thread some years ago when someone said he was a cadet in her at the same time as me.

Ain’t getting old wonderful? :unamused: :laughing:

Buzzer

Spardo:

whisperingsmith:

Just had time to look in there, most of the posters were, like you, in a different year to me, only one seemd familiar. But the irascible old captain I mentioned earlier, he of the anti-Jewish comment, I think was Captain Woods, described also as wanting to hang Jehovahs Witnesses from the roof :open_mouth: Seems to fit the profile I remember.

I tried to join but it said I was already a member :unamused: and I vaguely remember being involved in a ‘St. John’ thread some years ago when someone said he was a cadet in her at the same time as me.

Ain’t getting old wonderful? :unamused: :laughing:

Dunno. :laughing:

Buzzer

I Remeber the Isettas were quite popular in France in the '50s and early '60s.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

308337307_5896807823714379_2494072538685731718_n.jpg

Buzzer:

This and cross-ply tyres. What could possibly go wrong?

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

4/6d! I’ll bet none of us were alive when that ad was placed.

Star down under.:

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

You speak for yourself, sadly. :unamused: :cry:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

So anyone care to date the ad?

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
So anyone care to date the ad?
[/quote]
Early to mid fifties?

Spardo:

Star down under.:

ParkRoyal2100:

Buzzer:

Well David, you come across as a knowledgeable forty year old gentleman. :smiley: :wink:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Well David, you come across as a knowledgeable forty year old gentleman. :smiley: :wink:

Give me another 3 months and I’ll be the equivalent of 2 knowledgeable forty year old gentlemen. :smiley: :wink: :laughing: