Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Buzzer

298589324_2674269626042164_726059522939767031_n.jpg

298405137_2518002205007361_5613646598762192613_n.png

ezydriver:
Is that F88 still working? I haven’t read anything on it for a few years. That’s remarkable if it is.

here’s a photo of his truck delivering to a wood yard in nottinghamshire.two of my friends posing for the photo.

Franglais:

Eddie Heaton:
What a contrast between Concord ( or Concorde if you prefer } to the Neanderthal FG in the foreground. I remember watching it take off from Heathrow in the mid 70s with Brian Trubshaw at the controls .
I never came even close to flying on one of them , ( chance would have been a very fine thing indeed ), and I have no idea how many were manufactured , but a few years before my retirement, I was engaged in the operation of emptying the John Ryland’s library in Deansgate Manchester and taking all the books and Egyptian manuscripts etc. from there to storage facilities in those underground salt caverns near Northwich .
On one particular afternoon , as I was returning back to Manchester from Northwich along the A556 , I heard this tremendous roaring sound , and when I looked up , I saw this bloody girt plane , seemingly only a few hundred feet above me and flying parallel with the A556 at what appeared to me to be little more than the speed at which I was travelling , although I realise that ground speed compared with air speed is often an illusion when viewed from the ground .
Turns out it was one of the last Concords on its final flight into Ringway .
The plane is still there, in its own hangar for people to view . There’s another one that I know of at Charles de Gaulle just outside Paris, and there’ll be many more of them dotted about the place I’m sure , but these are the only ones that I’ve personally seen .

I saw a low pass by a Concorde at Hurn (Bournemouth) airfield. It had left Heathrow and was off to the USA, but did a visit to the airshow there. I`m sure that commercial flights are not allowed to do that sort of thing today.
Beautiful plane.
Apparently only 20 were built, and 6 of those were never used commercially, so a very small operating fleet. A very different type of aircraft, but there have been over 1,500 747s built.

Aye, and if the Americans had invented it there would have been a hell of a lot more Concordes built and it would still be flying. :imp:

Buzzer

299371150_3269534363258704_6643412271644935161_n.jpg

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

Eddie Heaton:
What a contrast between Concord ( or Concorde if you prefer } to the Neanderthal FG in the foreground. I remember watching it take off from Heathrow in the mid 70s with Brian Trubshaw at the controls .
I never came even close to flying on one of them , ( chance would have been a very fine thing indeed ), and I have no idea how many were manufactured , but a few years before my retirement, I was engaged in the operation of emptying the John Ryland’s library in Deansgate Manchester and taking all the books and Egyptian manuscripts etc. from there to storage facilities in those underground salt caverns near Northwich .
On one particular afternoon , as I was returning back to Manchester from Northwich along the A556 , I heard this tremendous roaring sound , and when I looked up , I saw this bloody girt plane , seemingly only a few hundred feet above me and flying parallel with the A556 at what appeared to me to be little more than the speed at which I was travelling , although I realise that ground speed compared with air speed is often an illusion when viewed from the ground .
The plane is still there, in its own hangar for people to view . There’s another one that I know of at Charles de Gaulle just outside Paris, and there’ll be many more of them dotted about the place I’m sure , but these are the only ones that I’ve personally seen .

I saw a low pass by a Concorde at Hurn (Bournemouth) airfield. It had left Heathrow and was off to the USA, but did a visit to the airshow there. I`m sure that commercial flights are not allowed to do that sort of thing today.
Beautiful plane.
Apparently only 20 were built, and 6 of those were never used commercially, so a very small operating fleet. A very different type of aircraft, but there have been over 1,500 747s built.

Aye, and if the Americans had invented it there would have been a hell of a lot more Concordes built and it would still be flying. :imp:

Several US airlines ordered the beast but Boeing convinced Nixon they could build A larger and faster model.The rest is history. But was I peed off to see one at the museam of flight at Boeing Field in Seatle

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

Eddie Heaton:

Beautiful plane.

I think the spike in oil prices following the 1973 middle east war did more damage to the chances of Concorde succeeding than the Yanks spitting the dummy out when they failed to come up with their own version.

Buzzer

For all those who were sad to see the demise of Concord there is hot news I have been reading, there is a new super sonic aircraft on the horizon nick named “Son of Concord” built by Boom Supersonic and is capable of 1300mph. American airlines have ordered 20 with option on a further 20 plus a couple other airlines have orders in and will arrive in 2025, Buzzer

essexpete:
Capacity tiny as well but it did take commercial aircraft to another level.There are 3 things I remember watching on TV in a mass primary school assembly. Inaugural Concorde flight, launch of QE2 and investiture of Charlie.

The primary school I was attending (if not learning) when QE2 slid down the ramp was in Helensburgh and we were all sat down in front of a big b&w telly to watch a live broadcast.

Buzzer:
For all those who were sad to see the demise of Concord there is hot news I have been reading, there is a new super sonic aircraft on the horizon nick named “Son of Concord” built by Boom Supersonic and is capable of 1300mph. American airlines have ordered 20 with option on a further 20 plus a couple other airlines have orders in and will arrive in 2025, Buzzer

I went and looked that up on the interwebs. Boom still seems to be somewhat sketchy with the details and there’s a more than a whiff of “venture capital” - we’ll see what comes out of the oven.

Apparently they’re developing a 1/3 scale demonstrator (XB-1) called (wait for it…) “Baby Boom”.

Baby Boom - geddit? :unamused:

Star down under.:
Did you good folk get the tiger tail that attached to the fuel cap, when you bought a certain amount of petrol?

I’m racking my brain cell trying to ID the car: it’s familiar but I can’t pin it down. Anyone know?

ParkRoyal2100:

Star down under.:
Did you good folk get the tiger tail that attached to the fuel cap, when you bought a certain amount of petrol?

I’m racking my brain cell trying to ID the car: it’s familiar but I can’t pin it down. Anyone know?

'55 Chevrolet.

ParkRoyal2100:

essexpete:
Capacity tiny as well but it did take commercial aircraft to another level.There are 3 things I remember watching on TV in a mass primary school assembly. Inaugural Concorde flight, launch of QE2 and investiture of Charlie.

The primary school I was attending (if not learning) when QE2 slid down the ramp was in Helensburgh and we were all sat down in front of a big b&w telly to watch a live broadcast.

Where I lived in the west of Glasgow was on a hill with a view over the river (from a distance of about 1 mile) so I could see her being built as she dwarfed all the other buildings. I have no memory of watching the launch though but she was bloody big :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The shipyard was just to the right of these oil tanks and the trees weren’t there in those days

google.co.uk/maps/@55.90755 … 384!8i8192

ParkRoyal2100:

Star down under.:

1955 Chevie Bel Air.

David

5thwheel:

ParkRoyal2100:

Star down under.:

1955 Chevie Bel Air.

David

Thank you. Not what I thought but I been learned.

Dennis Javelin:

ParkRoyal2100:

essexpete:

Where I lived in the west of Glasgow was on a hill with a view over the river (from a distance of about 1 mile) so I could see her being built as she dwarfed all the other buildings. I have no memory of watching the launch though but she was bloody big :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The shipyard was just to the right of these oil tanks and the trees weren’t there in those days

Given your mention of a hill west of Glasgow and that the title of this thread is “Scrapbook Memories”, one of a handful of things I have after my Dad died is an album of b&w first prints of him piloting MoD Police launches back in the day.

This one is (as far as I can gather) somewhere up Gare Loch in 1967/ 68: Dad would’ve just got his coxswain’s ticket and promotion to Sergeant, the chap near the bow is probably Andy Strachan:

flickr.com/photos/56546711@N03/14743323631/

My main memory of the QE2 was from underneath. George Milner and I had a wander round when waiting to tip containers in Southampton. She was in dry dock and no-one seemed to notice as we both walked down the concrete steps and strolled around next to the keel. :open_mouth: :smiley:

ParkRoyal2100:

Dennis Javelin:

ParkRoyal2100:

essexpete:

Given your mention of a hill west of Glasgow and that the title of this thread is “Scrapbook Memories”, one of a handful of things I have after my Dad died is an album of b&w first prints of him piloting MoD Police launches back in the day.

This one is (as far as I can gather) somewhere up Gare Loch in 1967/ 68: Dad would’ve just got his coxswain’s ticket and promotion to Sergeant, the chap near the bow is probably Andy Strachan:

flickr.com/photos/56546711@N03/14743323631/

Thanks for those pics. The place is totally unrecognisable now that Rosyth has closed as an RN unit and Faslane is now the HQ of everything to do with Scotland and Northern Ireland. I used to go there when I was supplying the MOD with parts for their bus fleet and the level of security is quite scary.

Spardo:
My main memory of the QE2 was from underneath. George Milner and I had a wander round when waiting to tip containers in Southampton. She was in dry dock and no-one seemed to notice as we both walked down the concrete steps and strolled around next to the keel. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Last time I saw QE2 was in Port Rashid in Dubai where she was retired to as a hotel ship I believe.

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

Last time I saw QE2 was in Port Rashid in Dubai where she was retired to as a hotel ship I believe.

One of my old ships ended up like that, the Queen Mary, in San Diego I think. The outward bound trip to New York in her was the roughest I have ever experienced. Confined to the foc’sle head deep in the bowels in the old fashioned way (she was built mid '30s I think) it was akin to rising and falling in a tower block lift for several days and nights. Even some old Murmansk convoy hands were in the sick bay with ruptured stomachs. For me it was sufficient to spray little bits of carrot all over the walls that I was designated to wash, in between lying down for recovery in my bunk. :grimacing: