Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Couple more, Buzzer

Saturday seven, Buzzer

The Athersmith Bros shot is interesting as the Seddon is coupled to a Brady short tandem which is being loaded with parts of a railway bridge that is been dismantled in Barrow the location of which I am not just sure but it could be on the road down to the old Barrow paper mill .
by the looks of the tidy livery of the Seddon I reckon this would not have been long after Brady’s bought Athersmiths out in 1973 as no way would Athersmiths have “borrowed” a Brady trailer as they had been at “daggers drawn” since the early 50’s but eventually the Athersmith Bros who were all elderly by the early 70’s decided to call it a day and Brady’s were the only buyers ! Shortly after the takeover the Barrow Paper Mill closed and they were Athersmith’s remaining main customer :wink: However the Mill sales department morphed into M6 Papers based in Macc or Congleton and Bradys had a shareholding in this Paper Sales firm and IIRC they had a couple of new Seddon 32/4’s liveried as M6 Papers.
I was quite involved with Jack Brady throughout the 70’s so I had a ringside seat of all that went on at the time and there was plenty I could tell you !
However getting back to the Athersmith acquisition I recall Jack telling me an amusing anecdote concerning his Brother Bob ( The Big’un) as even though Athersmiths had fallen prey to Bradys and the Big’un was strutting around Barrow full of it that they had finally seen Athersmiths “off” but the Big’un didn’t know for 6 months how much they ( Bradys) had paid for Athersmiths until finally he plucked up courage to ask Our Kid ( Jack ) how much Athersmiths cost them ! I kid you not and it tickled Jack no end ! They didn’t run any of the Athersmith fleet as such after the buy out as their fleet was getting a bit long in the tooth so I reckon this Seddon in the shot was just relegated to shunting work around Barrow. Bradys quickly put some new 8LXB Atki Borderers on the road liveried as Athersmith Bros and IIRC the longest trailers Athersmiths ran were 28 ft Boden tandems but also quite a number of rigids as well as 3 or 4 waggon and trailers so all in all it was a pretty antiquated fleet ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis the Facebook page says that it was the removal of the Low Road railway bridge, Barrow in Furness.

jshepguis:
Dennis the Facebook page says that it was the removal of the Low Road railway bridge, Barrow in Furness.

Thanks for the info “j” and if we could get “Leyland 680” on the thread he would give us the full story ! Cheers Dennis.

Some more, Buzzer

279754453_5035643169876155_4869136767970332232_n.jpg

mushroomman:

The Athersmith Bros DD8 Seddon was shot when brand new in 1958 and it pulled a drawbar all it’s working life. There is a 1969 shot on TNUK of it parked at the Three Sisters Cafe at Markyate loaded with wood pulp for Barrow the Driver was called Bill Birkby and his mate was called Tony Kenyon. Bill went on to drive on night trunk after Bradys bought out Athersmiths in 1973 and I believe Tony left at that time and started at Blue Dart Transport who were regular hauliers from Bowater Scott 's Barrow mill.

Is this the photo that you were referring to Dennis.

I can only remember going into the Bowater Scott plant in Barrow twice in 1974 and at the back of mind I seem to think that there was a shunter called Trevor who I thought worked for Brady’s, as I remember giving him a hand to sheet up a trailer while I was waiting to load.
I think that you mentioned the Bowater Scott plant in Bristol on another thread a couple of weeks back and it reminded me of a little anecdote from some 48 years ago.

I am not sure if the Bowater warehouse in Bristol was inside or near the Avonmouth docks but I do remember that just inside the ware house near the offices there was a skip and if the plastic wrapping on any of the packages was ripped, then they would take the plastic off and throw all the toilet rolls loose, into the skip. Apparently, all the contents of this skip were eventually sent away for recycling and I was told before I delivered there that if you asked at the office, if there was any chance of a couple of toilet rolls, then they would always say “help your self driver” and point you towards the skip.

I must of delivered there about a dozen times to that place over the years, I was never greedy and like most of the other drivers I only took a couple of rolls at a time. I went in there one day and after I was tipped, I asked was there any chance of a couple of toilet rolls, only to be told that they were sorry as those days were over now.

It turned out that a local driver, who used to collect from there several times a week, was selling loose toilet rolls at car boot sales every week end around the Bristol area.

There was always one who spoils it for everybody. :frowning:

$(KGrHqMOKpgE25e-8IPMBN6UL1f6ww~~_12.jpg

mushroomman:
Is this the photo that you were referring to Dennis.

I can only remember going into the Bowater Scott plant in Barrow twice in 1974 and at the back of mind I seem to think that there was a shunter called Trevor who I thought worked for Brady’s, as I remember giving him a hand to sheet up a trailer while I was waiting to load.
I think that you mentioned the Bowater Scott plant in Bristol on another thread a couple of weeks back and it reminded me of a little anecdote from some 48 years ago.

I am not sure if the Bowater warehouse in Bristol was inside or near the Avonmouth docks but I do remember that just inside the ware house near the offices there was a skip and if the plastic wrapping on any of the packages was ripped, then they would take the plastic off and throw all the toilet rolls loose, into the skip. Apparently, all the contents of this skip were eventually sent away for recycling and I was told before I delivered there that if you asked at the office, if there was any chance of a couple of toilet rolls, then they would always say “help your self driver” and point you towards the skip.

I must of delivered there about a dozen times to that place over the years, I was never greedy and like most of the other drivers I only took a couple of rolls at a time. I went in there one day and after I was tipped, I asked was there any chance of a couple of toilet rolls, only to be told that they were sorry as those days were over now.

It turned out that a local driver, who used to collect from there several times a week, was selling loose toilet rolls at car boot sales every week end around the Bristol area.

There was always one who spoils it for everybody. :frowning:

Yes that’s one of the shots that was taken that summer evening and I recall that there was a lot of ribald comments as by this tome the Seddon was somewhat of an antique that was past it’s sell by date !

Here’s Tuesdays lot, Buzzer

Lady Bay Garage still exists in Nottingham/West Bridgford but I think it is slightly different in appearence nowadays. I guess that pic is from the 1949/950 period as that was when the film Trottie True was made, we watched it last week on Talking Pictures.

Pete.

A 1927 Albion in the colours of the drinks manufacturer A G Barr’s. For the eagle eyed you will see that the famous irn-bru product is actually spelt IRON BREW on the front of the wagon… This was changed to irn-bru in 1946 and this spelling was trademarked

Gritting the streets in the olden days. Must have been a helluva job then.

Glasgow gritter.jpg

Thursdays, Buzzer

245449706_10160057933369240_5500393341449784465_n (2).jpg

Todays, Buzzer

280506990_1422442118213018_7094856910774823882_n.jpg

280475770_1422442228213007_3453483990740176031_n.jpg

I used to deliver into Southwick shipyard for W.H.Allen, sadly like Allen’s and many more famous names in the engineering field no longer in existence i believe.

Just the one, Buzzer

Sundays, Buzzer

280390968_5133779476698857_4372279333985472847_n.jpg

280352031_1486393788425422_3491150827978794599_n.jpg

I think this is a cracking shot showing the style change to the cab. I have always had a soft spot for the Seddon and I thought this cab was so much more stylish than what was on offer from other manufacturers at the time

Seddon Cabs.jpg

Dennis Javelin:
I think this is a cracking shot showing the style change to the cab. I have always had a soft spot for the Seddon and I thought this cab was so much more stylish than what was on offer from other manufacturers at the time

They didn’t have a wonderful press but they must have had something about them, otherwise this ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Vick example wouldn’t have successfully run to Baghdad and back!

240 ■■■■■■■ & did Middle East.jpg