272622971_1134793360662685_977681216292219226_n.jpg

Buzzer

272292657_3096122193934980_1173146928493185237_n.jpg

272301528_2131968880291726_4359029407149896897_n.jpg

Fridays lot, Buzzer

Saturday salvo, Buzzer

272411646_3097453057135227_8588311651236006798_n.jpg

272738486_4916179665113554_7619900531179247446_n.jpg

I remember Ron Marsh from Baldwins Gate (the Bedford cattle truck) as he had red liveried tippers in the local quarries and used to come into Ballidon where I worked.

Pete.

Buzzer:
Saturday salvo, Buzzer

IMO the Hillcrest AEC with the high sheeted load is not completely safely roped. The front cross is wasted as it should come from at least 3 hooks back, not the first as show. The whole point of a cross is to stop the load lurching forward onto the cab. The way that is roped would not prevent that.

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Saturday salvo, Buzzer

IMO the Hillcrest AEC with the high sheeted load is not completely safely roped. The front cross is wasted as it should come from at least 3 hooks back, not the first as show. The whole point of a cross is to stop the load lurching forward onto the cab. The way that is roped would not prevent that.

Spardo since you mentioned that I blew it up and am not convinced there is a rope crossover, looks more like a crease in the sheet have another look, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Saturday salvo, Buzzer

Spardo since you mentioned that I blew it up and am not convinced there is a rope crossover, looks more like a crease in the sheet have another look, Buzzer

I see what you mean but to my eyes I see 2 creases in a ‘V’ shape and then what looks like a crossover rope in the middle which goes over the corner to the first hook. Each to his own I suppose and he might well have had a high headboard which makes a retaining cross less necessary.

I did like the curved corner screens though, wouldn’t have expected that on a vehicle of that vintage. Any idea what year it was?

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Saturday salvo, Buzzer

I see what you mean but to my eyes I see 2 creases in a ‘V’ shape and then what looks like a crossover rope in the middle which goes over the corner to the first hook. Each to his own I suppose and he might well have had a high headboard which makes a retaining cross less necessary.

I did like the curved corner screens though, wouldn’t have expected that on a vehicle of that vintage. Any idea what year it was?

David,VEH was Stoke on Trent CBC Feb 1962 which is late for a MK3 AEC,the MK5 came out in 1958.Cab could possibly be either Oldlands or Strachan?

Drivers didn’t always put a cross on the front, it depended on what they were carrying and the knowledge/experience of the driver, sometimes a simple rope straight over did the job. The cab looks to have been a Boalloy, Bowyer or Oldlands build they did go in for curves rather than the flat shapes of cabs mostly seen then, AEC had several coachbuilders for there cabs. The split screens are quartered the curved piece being a separate bit you can just make out the thin join on both screens, I’m sure a one piece curved screen either full or split hadn’t been perfected until the later 50’s, this AEC registration dates from November 1954 to March 1955 Stoke-on-Trent. Edit to this post I found a photo of a similar MkIII you can see the screens much better. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Drivers didn’t always put a cross on the front, it depended on what they were carrying and the knowledge/experience of the driver, sometimes a simple rope straight over did the job. The cab looks to have been a Boalloy or Oldlands build they did go in for curves rather than the flat shapes of cabs mostly seen then, the split screens are quartered the curved piece being a separate bit you can just make out the thin join on both screens, I’m sure a one piece curved screen either full or split hadn’t been perfected until the later 50’s, this AEC registration dates from November 1954 to March 1955 Stoke-on-Trent. Franky.

Franky you are right about that reg date,I looked at the wrong list - the reverse format. Thought it was strange for a MK3. :grimacing:

No probs Chris easily done, registrations can be difficult to pin down sometimes. Franky.

Frankydobo:
No probs Chris easily done, registrations can be difficult to pin down sometimes. Franky.

I always thought that the reg letters “MA” were issued in Cheshire were many ERF’s were registered ! and Reg letters for Stoke were “VT” & “EH” I will obviously stand corrected if this is not the case Doh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Frankydobo:

I always thought that the reg letters “MA” were issued in Cheshire were many ERF’s were registered ! and Reg letters for Stoke were “VT” & “EH” I will obviously stand corrected if this is not the case Doh! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,you are right,VT and EH were both Stoke on Trent CBC.Cheshire C C was M,MA,MB,TU and LG.

Chris.

A few on Sunday, Buzzer

272847946_1338586959919763_3421976049912875166_n.jpg

^^

The first picture of the yard full of lorries is fascinating. Do you know where and when it was taken?

ezydriver:
^^

The first picture of the yard full of lorries is fascinating. Do you know where and when it was taken?

Judging by the trucks would be in the 50’s and believe it was Cardiff Docks but that may be wrong, Buzzer

Buzzer:

ezydriver:
^^

Judging by the trucks would be in the 50’s and believe it was Cardiff Docks but that may be wrong, Buzzer

Aren’t they all BRS?

Spardo:

Buzzer:

ezydriver:
^^

Aren’t they all BRS?

The picture is taken in Swansea, and considering that most of the vehicles are BRS lorries, it was probably a BRS depot.
The large building at the rear is Weaver & Company Ltd, a large flour mill and corn store, demolished in the 1970s.
Perhaps pete359 and some of the other Welsh Trucknet lads may remember Weavers mill, and know if they had their
own lorries, tankers and flats ■■.

Ray Smyth.

I’d love to get a shot taken from that spot today, and see what’s there. Blocks of flats I suspect.