Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Somebody has fitted ‘trendy’ twin arm mirrors on that Morris of Ivel Transport! Looking at the reg it is an earlyish one fitted with the 5.1 diesel with pneumatic govenor and they tended to surge at tickover which would make the standard factory fitted mirrors vibrate. :wink:

Pete.

The Guy DFL331C of Murdins became one of the late John Wards preservation fleet. What happened to it after Jan sold them I don’t know.

windrush:
Somebody has fitted ‘trendy’ twin arm mirrors on that Morris of Ivel Transport! Looking at the reg it is an earlyish one fitted with the 5.1 diesel with pneumatic govenor and they tended to surge at tickover which would make the standard factory fitted mirrors vibrate. :wink:

Pete.

When I was a kid, father had one of the first 3.4 series 3 Austins. Used to amuse me when I was riding shotgun by driving it in traffic on tickover progressing in a series of leaps.
Bernard

classicman:
The Guy DFL331C of Murdins became one of the late John Wards preservation fleet. What happened to it after Jan sold them I don’t know.

Fella in my village used to drive it at Murdens.
Bernard

Hi again,Nice comments from Windrush,Classicman and Albion 1938,I remember as a kid my Dad had a BMC FF with standard mirrors fitted and they did vibrate like hell, they were round in shape and the size that wouldn’t look out of place in a Budgie cage!!,heres todays offering,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

First 8whlr Dodge for me,best bit only live a few miles down the road from them

img198.jpg
Still going strong n out of original garage in the middle of a pretty village

coomsey:

The Dodge looks to have a similar distance between the two front axles as modern day 8 wheelers ! So it was ahead of it’s time I reckon ! I wonder which engine it had in it ? Leyland or Perkins or maybe an AEC and the back end looks interesting, double or single drive ? ! Great shot though thanks Marcus ! Cheers Bewick.

bubbleman:
Hi again,Nice comments from Windrush,Classicman and Albion 1938,I remember as a kid my Dad had a BMC FF with standard mirrors fitted and they did vibrate like hell, they were round in shape and the size that wouldn’t look out of place in a Budgie cage!!,heres todays offering,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Bowaters AEC ,and BRS North Western ERF ,probably Queensferry depot ,thank you Trevor

coomsey:

4268087789_33fb521ef6.jpg
Sister

Bewick:

coomsey:

The Dodge looks to have a similar distance between the two front axles as modern day 8 wheelers ! So it was ahead of it’s time I reckon ! I wonder which engine it had in it ? Leyland or Perkins or maybe an AEC and the back end looks interesting, double or single drive ? ! Great shot though thanks Marcus ! Cheers Bewick.

Looks like the Dodge eight-wheeler was based on a 308 model, 8-stud wheels. The sister 6-wheeler is a 309 or 310, 10-stud wheels.

Hello again,thanks to all who commented on the pictures,as an enthusiast I’ve been to Selby Garages to photograph examples of the fleet and always been made welcome and as quoted, in a very nice village,another Foden at the end for Coomsey,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

That Foden of Kinch’s (probably loaded with HRA looking at how low the sheet is in the body and the amount of heat coming from it?) is coming out of Mountsorrell quarry. I believe there is another way out these days?

Pete.

windrush:
That Foden of Kinch’s (probably loaded with HRA looking at how low the sheet is in the body and the amount of heat coming from it?) is coming out of Mountsorrell quarry. I believe there is another way out these days?

Pete.

Not in the middle of the village anymore Pete. A good quarry to run out of,in n out like flynn. Only run dry stone out of there to stocking ground bottom of the M10 for coating the concrete bit of the M1. Kinch just runs buses now I think

bubbleman:
Hello again,thanks to all who commented on the pictures,as an enthusiast I’ve been to Selby Garages to photograph examples of the fleet and always been made welcome and as quoted, in a very nice village,another Foden at the end for Coomsey,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi Marcus, So pleased to see your pictures, Best regards, Ray Smyth.

4359830614_6aaf03f584.jpg
Thanks Bubbs here’s an old un, they liked their Fodens. Good crowd to work for I’m told, my best man has drove for them for years n still with them past retirement age

Newspaper adverts from about 1944, Regards, Ray Smyth.

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Not in the middle of the village anymore Pete. A good quarry to run out of,in n out like flynn. Only run dry stone out of there to stocking ground bottom of the M10 for coating the concrete bit of the M1. Kinch just runs buses now I think

When Tilcon had the contract to surface the new M40 from the M42 to Shrewley our four plants couldn’t supply enough material so Redland (as it was then) at Mountsorrell supplied it as well. Their trucks arrived one after another and soon had 300+ ton on site whereas our plant at Ballidon was a lot steadier! So Tilcons gang used to say “Whoever gets 300 ton on site first gets to the machine” so even if I was there before them they got the 300 ton faster and they laid the Redland trucks first and we had to wait as you couldn’t mix materials. Redlands was granite and ours limestone and they laid differently.

Pete.

Another one of Harrisons.

harrison scammell.PNG

coomsey:

What kind of payload could the Dodge carry ? 16ton ? Cheers Dennis.

DEANB:
Another one of Harrisons.

I bet they were a rum thing to drive Dean. When I was on me S21 the bugas used to overtake me, mind most things did