Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Continuing with some of my small vehicles, G780 SWD was
a 1 Ton Ford Transit, Ex Sandwell Council in the Midlands,
It had a very low mileage. I did a few urgent jobs to France
and Belgium in it. Ray Smyth.

My Mercedes Benz 508D,and me near Carnac in Brittany (Fergie 47 Region),
On my way back to Roscoff, having delivered to several Eurocamp sites, 1985.

Ray Smyth.

This is Ford Transit KU52 ZKZ that I had from 2006 until 2010.
During that time, it clocked up 140,000 miles, and it was a
very reliable vehicle. Picture taken in the Wigan depot of
McMullan Transport from Ballymoney,Country Antrim.

Ray Smyth.

Re Morrison freight daf 500 m reg this was indeed supplied by chassis cab in perlesant White by me David Scarff it was then part exchanged for new xf 6x2 tractor I think around 1998- ish and I then sold truck to Tony’s Warwick ( t and p international) from Southend and it was repainted blue looked very smart - Tony did Spain with it as far as I can remember and joined us on one of dafs super space cab weekends in 1999 got some photos of it somewhere in Holland what happened to it after then I don’t know but if you do would love to know its final resting place.
David Scarff
Still sell daf trucks after all these years

From 1985 until 1995, I was the distributor for Addis Ltd for all of North West England
Each day from Monday to Friday, a 40ft trailer would arrive from Addis, Swansea,
loaded with household products, Mops,Buckets, and Bowls, Etc.
Twice a week, a 30ft trailer like this one would arrive from Hertford with Addis
Health & Beauty products.

Picture 2, A 16Ton Ford D Series “Brimec” owned by John Wilkinson of
James Wilkinson & Son, for transporting Fork Lift Trucks.

Picture 3, Bedford TL, 13Ton GVW, Ex Bass Charrington Brewery.
On the right of the picture is John Wilkinsons fork truck trailer,
Ex Regentruck, part of Lansing Bagnall, Basingstoke, at that time
was Johns main source of work. Leeds Street, Wigan, 1987.

Ray Smyth, Ray Smyth Transport.

The Ex Bass Charrington Bedford TL after conversion to curtain sided,
to suit the Rank Hovis multi drop delivery work. Ray Smyth.

Picture 1. Heading South on the N623,near Puerto de Somosierra,
Northern Spain, early 1992.

Picture 2. N623 again, North of Burgos, 3 days later, heading to
Santander, hoping to catch the 7pm fery to Plymouth.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Snow scenes on the A74, (Now A74M) a few miles North of Gretna, in 1996,
on my way to Cowdenbeath and Leven, in The Kingdom Of Fife.

Nil Illegitimate Carborundum

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Been home unwell (manflu) last few days and decided today to re visit this thread from the start, what a tonic, and my appreciation to all that have contributed to the 457 pages of marvellous posts.

Only managed to get through 13 pages though, so plenty left for future visits. :smiley:

E.W.

bubbleman:
Hi there,first of all thanks to everybody who have said theyre enjoying these cuttings :smiley: …to think I was going to dump them :frowning: …glad I didnt :smiley:
Hope these old timers are of interest,

Cheers Marc. :smiley:

I wish I could find a website award org to nominate this ‘thread’ to. I don’t know of anything comparable; factual, historical (hysterical at times) entertaining and so natural. A stream of ‘random’ truck photos ranging from “here it is coming off the production line” to “here it is again in the scrapyard.” Interesting stuff about places, people - and of course trucks ! It’s turned into a collection that should be archived forever since there’s nothing else like it - that I’m aware of !

It’s a National Treasure, what are you ?

400-1.jpg
Found this truck for sale on Ebay over the weekend.

This Leyland DAF 45 was a very reliable machine. The engine was a 160 BHP “Baby ■■■■■■■■■
achieving 18 mpg on a regular basis, It was 10,000 kg GVW,but could only carry about 4 Tons.
It was fitted with a very substantial 24 ft body, column tail lift, twin fuel tanks, and a sleeper
cab,so it was quite heavy unladen. Picture taken on A62,between Oldham and Huddersfield.

Thanks again to Marcus Bubbleman for starting this thread. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Here’s a lovely old ERF. Robert

It may be old but it’s got air conditioning. :smiley:

Our vintage club secretary crewed on an ERF low loader like that one for Shands at Rowsley, he told me that when they were bringing an RB from Clay Cross to Staveley through Chesterfield the Ford Zephyr police ■■■■■■ car stopped at a downhill junction but the ERF couldn’t. The starting handle made a perfectly round hole in its rear valance!! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
Our vintage club secretary crewed on an ERF low loader like that one for Shands at Rowsley, he told me that when they were bringing an RB from Clay Cross to Staveley through Chesterfield the Ford Zephyr police ■■■■■■ car stopped at a downhill junction but the ERF couldn’t. The starting handle made a perfectly round hole in its rear valance!! :laughing:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

3284271680_1_4_BidkdPbA.jpg

Where did you get that pic from robert

mat man:
Where did you get that pic from robert

Dunno! I was surfing the internet for other specific material and this pic caught my eye - happens all the time, I’m afraid! Robert

Hello Mat Man, The MAT Scammell Handyman is at the stern of one of
the train ferries. On the deck of the ferry,you can see the railway tracks,
where 2 of the tracks became 4 as the vessel became wider.

Regards, Ray Smyth.