Scania Vabis LV type

Bear in mind that Switzerland had THOROUGH legislation on road-traffic, as extra brakes, devices,
lighting and so on…even width was sometimes limited to 2.30m…so not easy to export to!

Many non-European (read continental) marques succeeded to export to either what country, that
being the biggest mistake of International Harvester getting involved in DAF and many others, as
there is NO European-truck at all! And still there is no European truck.

Just looking through here:
conam.info/carrosseriebouwer … riebouwers
I came across the entry for Deckers aluminium coachwork, which included this advert:

The Van der Luyt & Zonen vans are Van Eck-cabbed LVS75s, by my reckoning. Dare we guess, based on that evidence, that Deckers did not make cabs for LVs? I would not! :laughing:

There are three similarly-styled vehicles on the page. I wonder whose chassis are under the coachwork?

@Anorak…I also assume that Deckers did not made the LV-cabs…and was a ‘general’ body-
maker just like Renova of Hilversum for removal-companies.

Herewith some highlights on Scania-Vabis in general and Beers in particular:

1915- Adriaan Beers left Verwey & Lugard’s (import of German Büssing and Italian FIAT) in The Hague 31st of August
1915- Adriaan Beers founded his own company “Beers” in The Hague 1st of September
1915- Beers started/proceeded representation/assembly of German Büssing on 15th September
1923- Beers started representation/assembly of French Chenard Walcker
1930- Beers started representation/assembly of American Diamond T
1938- Beers moved to new premises at Geestbrugkade in Rijswijk, near The Hague
1940- Interruption of assembly due to WW2
1945- Re-start of import/assembly of Chenard Walcker- and Diamond T-trucks and French Chausson for busses
1946- First Beers-chassis, named T with quite some knowledge of Diamond T
1946- Start of representation/assembly of Scania-Vabis for Netherlands and Belgium
1946- First presentation of Scania-Vabis on april Utrecht Show
1946- First Scania-Vabis for Winder in Limmen, in 1946 4 truck- and 11 bus-chassis were sold.
1949- Ets. A. Denonville of Brussels was appointed importer/responsible for Belgium
1954- Delivery of number 1.000 within 10 years of representation
1955- First front based on B15-bus-chassis
1959- Beers moved to new premises at Maanweg in The Hague
1959- Participation on Amsterdam Show in 1959
1965- Opening Zwolle factory
1966- BéGé was absorbed in the Scania-Vabis group, now with factory delivered/own cabs
1969- Merger with Saab hence Saab-Scania and no longer Vabis

Source: Scanner 1990

Scania-Vabis-1959-Amsterdam.jpg

Beers-T-1946.jpg

Herewith a 1962 cover of a specification sheet where the B55 (bus-chassis) got the extra V-type
which now stands for spacious/volume, for removal- and furniture-transport.

Before the previous B55 (V-type) the majority of removal- and furniture-trucks were
produced on the B20 chassis. Herewith a cover of a 1945 leaflet on B21-B22-bus-chassis
as well as an example of one of Van Deudekom’s wellknown removal-vehicles on a B20.

SV-B20-VanDeudekom.jpg

Thanks for the lesson, Mr. ERF-C. I love reading about this stuff.

This is a great thread keep it up anorak

By coincidence a Van Deudekom Scania in front of Deckers? Will come back on the Deckers-case

[zb]
anorak:

Glad the input is appreciated so much, though the lessons come from genuine sources but need
a lot of searching, checking and ordening as you also experience…

ERF-Continental:

[zb]
anorak:

Glad the input is appreciated so much, though the lessons come from genuine sources but need
a lot of searching, checking and ordening as you also experience…

More information, and people with information, are gradually coming to light, via the internet. Hopefully, this thread will inspire more knowledgeable people to help complete the picture.

Unfortunately no information available through Scania…as the archives (merger of Scania Nederland B.V.
which was previously Beers Nederland N.V. and Scania Belgium N.V.) no longer exist. For the magazine of
“Scanner” both Arie van Reeuwijk and Jan Addink wrote a lot on the specific history of Beers, so Büssing,
Chenard Walcker, Diamond T and Scania-Vabis as well as some own Beers-inventions. No leads to the both
gentlemen but I keep on trying/searching, also through the still existing body-makers.

Herewith the first Scania-Vabis truck (Winder-Limmen) and the first Scania-Vabis tractor (Vlisco-Helmond)
for Holland. First truck was in 1946 and no information on the tractor but possibly within some years after.
For many years vehicles had a ‘regional’ registration related to the Dutch-county the vehicle was registrated.

First Scania-Vabis truck in Holland.jpg

ERF-Continental:
Unfortunately no information available through Scania…as the archives (merger of Scania Nederland B.V.
which was previously Beers Nederland N.V. and Scania Belgium N.V.) no longer exist. For the magazine of
“Scanner” both Arie van Reeuwijk and Jan Addink wrote a lot on the specific history of Beers, so Büssing,
Chenard Walcker, Diamond T and Scania-Vabis as well as some own Beers-inventions. No leads to the both
gentlemen but I keep on trying/searching, also through the still existing body-makers.

Herewith the first Scania-Vabis truck (Winder-Limmen) and the first Scania-Vabis tractor (Vlisco-Helmond)
for Holland. First truck was in 1946 and no information on the tractor but possibly within some years after.
For many years vehicles had a ‘regional’ registration related to the Dutch-county the vehicle was registrated.

If the archives of the Dutch Scania-Vabis companies have been lost, maybe some records will have been kept at Södertälje? I used to work at a large company, and old records were stored on microfilm. It used to take a detective’s attention to detail, to find the information you needed! In this case, there must have been some communication between Beers and Scania-Vabis, even if it was just invoices for chassis, engines etc. which were used to build the LVs. Somewhere, in the bowels of that factory in Södertälje, there must be records, from which the numbers of LV chassis can be deduced.

I wish you luck but moreover the good contacts internally at Scania…bear in mind that a museum
is a costs…perhaps volunteers did this survey but again…I did not manage to get to the right
and responsible people…and 50 years later.

Herewith some figures which might help to do the excercise…source Eric Gibbins

Hey, one for West Friesland, big Scania and Fiat users.

Eric,

For this thread I will periodically refresh the highlights on Scania-Vabis in general and Beers in specific.

Herewith some Dutch examples…a 1953 so called THE International (without sleeper, but with a cab-
room in the trailer) of A.J. van Deudekom, then in frequent transport between Amsterdam and Rome.

To do the maths…in januari 1963 (at Brussels Show) the LB76 was introduced and with the scheme
of Eric Gibbins it should/could be clear that NONE of the earlier vehicles were indicated better than
L then. That being said that BéGé’s from Holland (Meppel was a facility next to Oskarshamn) might
have been in strong competition with Werkspoor, Van Eck, Paul & Van Weelde etc…

If you do the excercise…939 vehicles in 1963 were fronts…

Herewith a LB76 on the docks of Rotterdam.

Some more evidence and back-up for your LV explorations. Robert

2110525.jpg

R_v_d_Heiden_fs.jpg
A_vd_Berg_pech_op_de_brenner_fs.jpg

An update (#1) of some highlights on Scania-Vabis in general and Beers in particular:

1915- Adriaan Beers left Verwey & Lugard’s (import of German Büssing and Italian FIAT) in The Hague 31st of August
1915- Adriaan Beers founded his own company “Beers” at Laan van Nieuw Oost Indië in The Hague 1st of September
1915- Beers started/proceeded representation/assembly of German Büssing on 15th September
1923- Beers started representation/assembly of French Chenard Walcker
1925- Rental of workshop from previous Verwey & Lugard’s at Laan van Nieuw Oost Indië, opposite to A. Beers’ house
1930- Beers started representation/assembly of American Diamond T
1938- Beers moved to new premises at Geestbrugkade in Rijswijk, near The Hague
1940- Interruption of assembly due to WW2
1945- Re-start of import/assembly of Chenard Walcker- and Diamond T-trucks and French Chausson for busses
1946- First Beers-chassis, named T with quite some knowledge of Diamond T
1946- Start of representation/assembly of Scania-Vabis for Netherlands and Belgium
1946- First presentation of Scania-Vabis on april Utrecht Show
1946- First Scania-Vabis for Winder in Limmen, in 1946 4 truck- and 11 bus-chassis were sold.
1949- Ets. A. Denonville of Brussels was appointed importer/responsible for Belgium
1954- Delivery of number 1.000 within 10 years of representation
1955- First front based on B15-bus-chassis
1958- Introduction of Scania-Vabis L75
1959- Beers moved to new premises at Maanweg in The Hague
1959- Participation on Amsterdam Show in 1959
1962- Introduction of Scania-Vabis L76
1963- Introduction of first factory-built front LB76 at Brussels Show
1965- Opening Zwolle factory
1966- BéGé was absorbed in the Scania-Vabis group, now with factory delivered/own cabs
1969- Merger with Saab hence Saab-Scania and no longer Vabis

Introduction of the LB76 was in januari 1963 on Brussels Show. That year 939 forward-control’s
were delivered…so was the LB76 the ‘end’ for the LV/LVS?

Can we define the time-frame in which the LV/LVS existed? 195.? - 196.?

LV cab made by Rondaan, some reflections:

In the popular Dutch model car magazine: Auto in Miniatuur, 2/2008 was an article on LV-cabbed models by Dutch modellers.
One 1/87th scale scratchbuilder, Fokko Feenstra (members.home.nl/fsfeenstra/), wanted to scratchbuild the LVS75 of Fa. Gebr. Althuisius, Franeker and contacted for this purpose the Rondaan company to check if there were any cab drawings in their archive. Mr. Rondaan himself explained they never had any drawings and started building from scratch! What Fokko also dit with his model.