Scania p320 beavertail. Strapping etc new to this game

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:
Don’t listen to carryfast he’s never done this type of work in his life he’s a googler muppet

:laughing: You won’t need chains for a 6 wheeler.
Not for tractors anyway .

I do admire the “hi Viz” rear warning “flag” Dan’l so how come you still weren’t in it :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:
Don’t listen to carryfast he’s never done this type of work in his life he’s a googler muppet

I dont claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but that is not a beavertail

Suedehead:

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:

I dont claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but that is not a beavertail

It’s a hook loader multi lift not a cable type but what would I know.
I only got the information regarding either type from google in the 1980’s not as a council driver.Oh and I would have been sacked for using ratchet straps to hold a Muir Hill or a Drott on anything. :laughing:

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Hey Denzil looks like the tyre is rubbing the cab away :laughing: is it over weight :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

At least it’s not using bits of nylon string and ratchets made of sheet metal to hold it all on the back. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Nothing wrong with it ,having moved many 8 & 10 tonne 360 on tracks with pistons missing the biggest problem is getting them off ,I’ve tipped the body fully lots of times after unstrapping and they still won’t move .

Dan…

Face it, what would you know with yer fancy loading knowledge and lifetime’s experience of machinery and lorrying?

Anyone with a comfy chair and an internet connection knows much more than you do, so pipe down eh?

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:

Why are the HSE and VOSA Walla’s never around when they are needed :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:

Why are the HSE and VOSA Walla’s never around when they are needed :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They are too busy dealing with public enquiries :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:
Hey Denzil looks like the tyre is rubbing the cab away :laughing: is it over weight :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

At least it’s not using bits of nylon string and ratchets made of sheet metal to hold it all on the back. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Nothing wrong with it ,having moved many 8 & 10 tonne 360 on tracks with pistons missing the biggest problem is getting them off ,I’ve tipped the body fully lots of times after unstrapping and they still won’t move .

Yep but stopping it all flying off the side when going round a roundabout or a bend, or stopping it all from going through the cab when stopping for a red traffic light at 40-50 mph, is something else entirely.Just think how much cheaper and easier it would be to hold the body and the axles to the chassis with straps instead of big metal bolts etc. :wink:

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

Yelreppa:
To be honest the big stuff will only be tractor’s and every time I see a tractor on back of anything it’s only got two straps on.
I do 4 at least for security do you have to be trained for anything over so many ton?

If you have got a motor similar to the photo, you can bet a pound to a pinch of organic material you will end up carrying someone else’s machinery. A manufacturer or dealer won’t want you hanging chains off a demonstrator or something prepped for a show.

Using 4x 5 tonne straps should be enough overkill for DVSA and H&S.

Just remember to secure any loose parts, buckets, swinging jibs, doors, mowers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember this 'un?
“BBC News | UK | Sentence for lorry driver who killed five” news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/25082.stm

Exactly the one I was thinking of when I typed the above.

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

Yelreppa:
To be honest the big stuff will only be tractor’s and every time I see a tractor on back of anything it’s only got two straps on.
I do 4 at least for security do you have to be trained for anything over so many ton?

If you have got a motor similar to the photo, you can bet a pound to a pinch of organic material you will end up carrying someone else’s machinery. A manufacturer or dealer won’t want you hanging chains off a demonstrator or something prepped for a show.

Using 4x 5 tonne straps should be enough overkill for DVSA and H&S.

Just remember to secure any loose parts, buckets, swinging jibs, doors, mowers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember this 'un?
“BBC News | UK | Sentence for lorry driver who killed five” news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/25082.stm

Here’s a similar example on a DVSA video, driver used two straps on an 8T cabin, which came off the truck in in the middle of Hull killing a member of the public. Convicted of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving, the driver was sentenced to 27 months jail. All for the sake of putting a couple of more straps on his load.
youtube.com/watch?v=AkdTEefDr8o

yourhavingalarf:
Dan…

Face it, what would you know with yer fancy loading knowledge and lifetime’s experience of machinery and lorrying?

Anyone with a comfy chair and an internet connection knows much more than you do, so pipe down eh?

The irony when it’s obviously not me who’s saying that the example which Bewick posted should be using bits of nylon string to hold that small dozer not chains. :unamused: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:

Is that a vote for or against use of chains as required Bewick.Has the Scania driver got it all wrong. :wink:

Punchy Dan:
They are too busy dealing with public enquiries :wink:

You mean phoning in with reports of a truck seen running around using bits of string to hold plant on a multi lift deck. :laughing:

Don’t listen to em OP this is how it’s done.Nylon straps bs. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Wkib-adFWs

yourhavingalarf:
Dan…

:laughing:

Personally I tend to use chains on things with wheels where practical but straps in good condition used correctly will work just as well. They are more easily damaged however.

Chains can also snap if the links get squashed or stretched but they are much more robust, you get in the habit of running your eye along them when you use them to make sure they are still fit for purpose.

I find that most plant has tie down eyes that are often marked with a chain sticker as designed for the job whereas on tractors they seldom have such things, typically I’d use something substantial that won’t bend or move. Most often I found that the axles are a good place taking care not to trap any pipes or wires.

Best advice for anything is the cross chain / strap method with chains pulling in all directions. If one chain fails then the other three will still hold it in place. If you use only two chains with one at the front pulling forwards and one at the rear puling back, if one fails then the other is only effective in preventing movement in one direction.

Other advice worth taking heed of, is to carry a couple of spare chains / straps. If something breaks, moves or starts looking a bit iffy for whatever reason you can then put things right before they go wrong.

Make sure you know how to operate the machine before loading it, get someone to show you if you are unsure or figure it out at ground level. Especially so if someone else loads it, because if they aren’t there and you have to unload it it’s not fun or sensible to try and work it out when it’s sat 4’ off the ground on a narrow platform.

It is a hard job, often dirty and it never stops trying to kill you. But it’s interesting work and you learn an awful lot.

Yelreppa:
Started a new job and waiting on a Scania 320 2021 will have a beavertail body and currently using a 7.5t to transport the kit we move tractor’s,mower,farm kit etc
Am getting use to strapping just need any heads-up about ways of strapping down stuff as everything is different.?
Use 5 ton straps on most stuff and the heaviest tractor am carrying at mo is a case 95 once I get bigger truck Scania will be a 26t 6x2 Willbe carrying bigger tractor etc.
Really enjoying it as I’ve come from bulk animal feed driving.