Scania oil in water!

mark h:
Put a dishwasher tablet in the header tank and run it then re flush out

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

or half a pint of traffic film remover from the washbay. if its not using water,its residue.if it is losing water,expect more greif,though…ive had a cpl of cars,and vans with serious overheating problems…a couple of bottles of steelseal used correctly has completely cured them.its not cheap,but it definately works.you would need to work out how many to put in,and then think about flogging the truck on if your not wanting to spend dosh.

dieseldog999:

mark h:

or half a pint of traffic film remover from the washbay. if its not using water,its residue.if it is losing water,expect more greif,though…ive had a cpl of cars,and vans with serious overheating problems…a couple of bottles of steelseal used correctly has completely cured them.its not cheap,but it definately works.you would need to work out how many to put in,and then think about flogging the truck on if your not wanting to spend dosh.

sodium silicate is what steal seal is basically and it’s a dam sight less without the brand name, I toyed with that idea, but decided to replace the head gasket was a better idea, cost’s more but what you have to think about if keeping the vehicle, is if the gasket is failing it may fail in another place after the silicate has stopped being active ,so your back to square one

dieseldog999:

mark h:

And lumber some other poor bugger for a heap of outlay… dog est dog world eh.

Mi16ewen:
Hi,
After some advice from any mechanically minded people

ive got a euro 5 scania 620 v8 that keeps putting oil into the water somehow, its visible when the cap is taken of the header tank there is oil all over inside of tank and a thick layer floating on the water. It all collects in header tank, if water is drained from bottom radiator hose the water is clear of oil.

So far weve replaced, oil cooler and housing, front timing casing seals and still no joy.

Has anyone else experienced this? Cheers

i would have said oil cooler, they havent broke a seal putting the oil cooler back in have they

when i did mine it took about a week to clear the oil out, let the oil come up, undo header tank and tilt cab and let it flow out off the top, and repeat :grimacing: , think i did it 3 times and ive not had oil in since, with the oil sitting on top it flows out perfectly

There isnt a retarder fitted is there? Some types fitted to rear of gearbox are cooled thro same system as engine. I dont about Scania specifically.

Empty all water from system pour a gallon of g101 (non caustic detergent) into system and top up with water, run the lorry for an hour, tilt the cab
And open tank lid, connect a hose to fitting at retarder pipe under the catwalk and fill from there for 15 minutes this will flush the whole system and repeat twice to be sure then add coolant .

You can get a proper cleaner ,add to the coolant and run the vehicle then repeat …I always when doing a cooler remove the water pump ,hoses etc and get the pressure cleaner in to get rid of the majority of the gunge …Making a point to make sure the heater matrix and compressor and clear

As above, but use dish washer fluid, it’s cheaper,.

since the OP has not been seen for 18 months I guess it must have been more serious than anyone imagined