Scania Engines

Take Scania rep out into street and boot him up the arse!!!

Checked back on FB and MVH got 4x S520 V8 10th April and Loane Transport got 6x S520 V8 12th May!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

Checked back on FB and MVH got 4x S520 V8 10th April and Loane Transport got 6x S520 V8 12th May!!!

As I said, he told me it had very recently been dropped from the range but I’ll go back to him on it. It may be that he has looked into availablity and there are no more 520s coming to the UK before I’m looking to change. It could also be that he has been mis-informed. Three months ago he was trying to sell me a Mercedes, so I’ll put it down to beginners mistakes and ask again for a 520.

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

As I said, he told me it had very recently been dropped from the range but I’ll go back to him on it. It may be that he has looked into availablity and there are no more 520s coming to the UK before I’m looking to change. It could also be that he has been mis-informed. Three months ago he was trying to sell me a Mercedes, so I’ll put it down to beginners mistakes and ask again for a 520.

I would be very surprised if it’s been dropped as right jump from straight6 S500 to V8 S580!!!

I took it when you posted:
“Recent change in the range” mean’ t they’d just been brought out.
Maybe the 520 V8 has been dropped But will find that hard to explain as I said.[emoji6]

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

I would be very surprised if it’s been dropped as right jump from straight6 S500 to V8 S580!!!

Could even be because they have a metric f**kton of 13l 500hp sat in a warehouse because the 520 is seen as the better option. Its a lot harder to justify stepping up to the 580 than the 520.

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

Could even be because they have a metric f**kton of 13l 500hp sat in a warehouse because the 520 is seen as the better option. Its a lot harder to justify stepping up to the 580 than the 520.

I edited my previous post there just before you posted.[emoji6]

The thing is, as I implied in the OP, I’m struggling to make a decision about the Renault.

I know its not as nice inside.
I know it has less appeal as a truck to a professional driver with a bit of love for his wagon.
I know its 80% of the price for a lorry that’s 75% as good.

BUT.

I like the looks.
I’m perfectly happy with the space and storage.
The ride and cab noise is acceptable.
The 460 is enough, and my local dealer has additional support on 480s so one of them should only cost about another £5 a month apparently.
I know others have had concerns about reliability but I was in a year old hire unit for six months this time last year and it never skipped a beat.

Gahhh, can someone just make the decision for me!!

On the bright side for you guys, I do hope its refreshing for someone to poke their head around the door, ask questions about becoming an operator and then actually do it rather than waste your time for once.

nsmith1180:
The thing is, as I implied in the OP, I’m struggling to make a decision about the Renault.

I know its not as nice inside.
I know it has less appeal as a truck to a professional driver with a bit of love for his wagon.
I know its 80% of the price for a lorry that’s 75% as good.

BUT.

I like the looks.
I’m perfectly happy with the space and storage.
The ride and cab noise is acceptable.
The 460 is enough, and my local dealer has additional support on 480s so one of them should only cost about another £5 a month apparently.
I know others have had concerns about reliability but I was in a year old hire unit for six months this time last year and it never skipped a beat.

Gahhh, can someone just make the decision for me!!

On the bright side for you guys, I do hope its refreshing for someone to poke their head around the door, ask questions about becoming an operator and then actually do it rather than waste your time for once.

It would be money in the bank for me each time!!!
I would get a quote for the S520 V8 just to see but bound to be right bit more per month than the T480 Renault.

Yup. I’m gonna sit down on a bay this week and put a price on how much nicer the Scania is. If the monthly payments work out less then the Scania wins, more and it’s diamonds are forever.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Why not a new MAN 500XXL??

The Dec16 480XXl I drive I can’t fault it really and goes like a train.
The 2017 ones are upped to 500horse and have the new “Traxon” box which is Scania so I’m told.
I regularly get 8.5/9.5@ 40T+ gross work and the cab/bunk are MASSIVE!!!

Bound to get a real sharp OP lease deal!!!

A six month old MAN costs more than a brand new Renault and I can’t see that it’s a better truck.

nsmith1180:
Yup. I’m gonna sit down on a bay this week and put a price on how much nicer the Scania is. If the monthly payments work out less then the Scania wins, more and it’s diamonds are forever.

You’re trying to quantify something subjective, and it’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to that, as it’s the Scania that you really want and it’s likely that you’ll skew the results to prove to yourself that your choice of Scania is really an objective business decision.

What’s the monthly lease price of a new Renault T?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:
A six month old MAN costs more than a brand new Renault and I can’t see that it’s a better truck.

Surprised at that thought the MAN would be competitive with the Renault!!!

What is wrong with a new Bigspace Actros480 or are they not competitive with the Renault either??

Baymax:

£380 plus VAT a week.

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Not far off. But they are slightly more expensive than the T and there are other concerns.

The bunk is a wooden slatted thing and I’m a big lad, the fall arrest from the bunk cuts into my legs. Storage is a little limited. The design of the steering wheel is poor compared to all competitors. The gearbox is terrible.

It suffers from the same problem as the DAF. They are both old designs bootstraped into Euro6C by repeated face-lifts but are falling behind as other marques move the game on.

Big Truck:
What is wrong with a new Bigspace Actros480 or are they not competitive with the Renault either??

I’ve got a Bigspace at the moment.

A new one is 429 a week plus VAT so fifty quid more than the Renault. Also it’s running mid to low eights to the gallon compared to 10.4 average for the Scania average last week and high tens for a Renault last year.

I’ve also had a few reliability issues with it. Including some which should have been picked up by Pre delivery inspection.

Its a nice enough truck I suppose but, and this might explain to Muckles how I think I can monetise a new subjective decision, I personally can’t justify spending £50 a week more for the badge and a flat floor.

nsmith1180:

Baymax:

£380 plus VAT a week.

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Not far off. But they are slightly more expensive than the T and there are other concerns.

The bunk is a wooden slatted thing and I’m a big lad, the fall arrest from the bunk cuts into my legs. Storage is a little limited. The design of the steering wheel is poor compared to all competitors. The gearbox is terrible.

It suffers from the same problem as the DAF. They are both old designs bootstraped into Euro6C by repeated face-lifts but are falling behind as other marques move the game on.

Get the top bunk specced and bung the top mattress on bottom bunk like I do,
comfy as hell.
No bother with room as you’ve 3 big lockers overhead 2 big outside lockers plus the unused top bunk!!!

Best fridge I know of as stand upright 3 2litre milk/pop bottles.
(R series Scania limited to bloody wee pints milk unless risking milk spilling over fridge. Volvo break your fingers off trying to get drink out while going uphill !!!)

The gearbox is completely changed and now called “Traxon” and not the AS-Tonic.
Although once you get used to it I find it not too bad.

The steering wheel yes it’s BIG but doesn’t cause me any bother.

It wasn’t the size of the wheel, though that is annoying. I can’t turn a full circle without changing from radio 4 or setting the cruise control.

Out of interest, how much more than the Renault was the R450 per month?

A basic 450 with no options, five pounds a week less than the Renault.