Scammell

Frankydobo:
I used these photo’s for reference when I built a Routeman Blue Circle model and noticed he’d fitted his rear marker boards incorrectly but someone must have put him right as they were correct when I saw the vehicle at Gaydon later, he made a nice job of the restoration. My model below. Franky.

Nice model Franky, i assume that its metal ?

DIG:
I spotted this unit and another less than 10 min drive from home here in West Aus, I worked for Leyland Truck div here in Perth soon after arriving and remember these 2 and I think 2 more being part assembled in the Perth workshops,They were badged Contractors and powered by 335 ■■■■■■■ road ranger g/box and hub reduction Leyland rear end,i believe they went to one of Western Minings haul road operations.

Cheers Dig

Dig, whilst not 4 axles these look pretty impressive and looks like they may have worked in Australia ?

Nice model Franky, i assume that its metal ? Not metal DeanB it has a resin cab known as a transkit (very well detailed too and a perfect copy of the real thing) available from an aftermarket resin kit maker, which can be mated with some of the 1/24 scale plastic truck kits available. The chassis is scratchbuilt to make the 8 wheeler from plastic channel and sections and the body is actually a plastic drinks bottle. The wheels and axles came from a kit, I have several unbuilt kits without wheels now due to using them for other builds but I can buy them separately when needed. Thanks for the reply and the interesting pics. Franky.

Dig, whilst not 4 axles these look pretty impressive and looks like they may have worked in Australia ?

[/quote]
DEANB the bottom pic the road train was working for PEKO mines in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory but not sure about the other.

Cheers Dig

Frankydobo:
Nice model Franky, i assume that its metal ? Not metal DeanB it has a resin cab known as a transkit (very well detailed too and a perfect copy of the real thing) available from an aftermarket resin kit maker, which can be mated with some of the 1/24 scale plastic truck kits available. The chassis is scratchbuilt to make the 8 wheeler from plastic channel and sections and the body is actually a plastic drinks bottle. The wheels and axles came from a kit, I have several unbuilt kits without wheels now due to using them for other builds but I can buy them separately when needed. Thanks for the reply and the interesting pics. Franky.

You made a nice job of that Franky ! :sunglasses:

DIG:

DEANB the bottom pic the road train was working for PEKO mines in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory but not sure about the other.

Cheers Dig
[/quote]
Your the man Dig, on Australia !! :smiley:

Couple of old Scammell’s !

My dad drove this Handyman for Midlands Storage in the 60s

back to the little Scarabs, they certainly had character AND they had a gate change. I must be one of the few old men who enjoyed using the gate change, a couple of days to get used to it and it was no problem.We just had the one Routeman 8 wheeler, none of the other drivers thought much of it, me ■■ I enjoyed using it.

DIG:
I spotted this unit and another less than 10 min drive from home here in West Aus, I worked for Leyland Truck div here in Perth soon after arriving and remember these 2 and I think 2 more being part assembled in the Perth workshops,They were badged Contractors and powered by 335 ■■■■■■■ road ranger g/box and hub reduction Leyland rear end,i believe they went to one of Western Minings haul road operations.

Cheers Dig

Dig, Here she is mate in her prime ! Loos like the same motor if you look at the unusual cab roof !
Not the best quality photo from the 1960s.

scammellr2.PNG

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Dig, Here she is mate in her prime ! Loos like the same motor if you look at the unusual cab roof !

Well done DeanB, the roof was a tropical roof addition it gives an air gap between the original cab and itself which works quite well in a hot climate with no A/C.Looks like a DFD Rhodes sticker on the door.

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Well done DeanB, the roof was a tropical roof addition it gives an air gap between the original cab and itself which works quite well in a hot climate with no A/C.Looks like a DFD Rhodes sticker on the door.

Thanks for clarifying that Dig, what a super rare truck that was !

Couple of heavy hauliers.

scammell20.PNG.jpg

scammelle.PNG

Scammell Scarab 4.jpg

moomooland:

There great looking things,reminds you of those 3 wheelers they use in Italy ! :smiley:

Found some more pics of those big old Aussi contractors !

scammella5.PNG

scammella2.PNG

scammella3.PNG.jpg

scammella4.PNG.jpg

DEANB:

moomooland:

There great looking things,reminds you of those 3 wheelers they use in Italy ! :smiley:

Well done Dean,you would make a classic investigative journalist,keep digging!!!

David

5thwheel:

DEANB:

moomooland:

Well done Dean,you would make a classic investigative journalist,keep digging!!!

David

I second that David .

Dig

Here you go Patrick some sheds ! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:
Here you go Patrick some sheds ! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Absolute automotive ■■■■ that is mate, cheers! :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:

DEANB:

Absolute automotive ■■■■ that is mate, cheers! :laughing: :laughing:

Our Aussi Leyland/Scammell fleet Patrick the Mastiff was mine driven by my dad,I drove the Crusader with the A/C ,as you can see I was inducting my son into the Scammel way i don’t think ■■■■ was on the agenda though.lol.
They had a hard life pulling triples in the cattle/general freight industry of northern WA.
Cheers Dig