Scammell Crusaders

ERF-NGC-European:
Later Crusaders (early '80s) could be supplied with Rolls Eagle 290s. Were these simply tweaked up 280s? Or was there a significant development change there? Also, how did the 290s compare with the earlier 305s? Be interested to know.

Interesting subject and just to throw my 10bob in the ring our 2 Crusaders delivered by Leylands Western Australias branch and the only 2 delivered here in West OZ that I know about were powered by 318hp 8V71 Detroits in 1972/3, We had an upgrade done with different injectors which increased the hp to 338bhp.The gearbox were 15speed R/RS.
I would have liked to have had a unit with the 305hp Rolls I believe that would have been a better unit for the road train livestock industry we were involved with but they weren’t offered as an option.
Another note ours were badged as Leyland Crusaders.
Dig

ERF-NGC-European:
Just a detail. I know 4x2 Crusaders had 9-sp Fullers as standard but can anyone remember 9-sp Fullers in 6x4 Crusaders with Rolls 280, 290 or 305 engines? There are examples on here of 6x4s with Detroit 8V71 + Fuller 9sp. Also, I long ago posted on the LHD Crusaders thread an example of an export to Russia with a Rolls 305 and a Fuller 9-speed but that was a bit of a one-off factory job. Be interested to know. Ro

Here you go.

Click on pages twice to read. Info on last page.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Just a detail. I know 4x2 Crusaders had 9-sp Fullers as standard but can anyone remember 9-sp Fullers in 6x4 Crusaders with Rolls 280, 290 or 305 engines? There are examples on here of 6x4s with Detroit 8V71 + Fuller 9sp. Also, I long ago posted on the LHD Crusaders thread an example of an export to Russia with a Rolls 305 and a Fuller 9-speed but that was a bit of a one-off factory job. Be interested to know. Ro

Here you go.

DEANB, you a saint! Your diligence will be rewarded, sir: I ‘won’ the recent pic of UGE (ERF) on ebay and will send you the photo when I receive it. Ro

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Here you go.

I see one of the registrations in the article Dean is 23 GJ 86. I took this one 23 GJ 98 to GDSF(2003 i think)

colinwallace1:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Here you go.

I see one of the registrations in the article Dean is 23 GJ 86. I took this one 23 GJ 98 to GDSF(2003 i think)0

Nice pic Colin. :wink: The Rotinoff intrests me more than the Crusader,did you have any more pics of that ■■ :smiley:

Detroit V8.
Oily

NMP

Hiya,
Only ever did one trip in a Crusader Consett to Glasgow tip, back empty.
Wow what a motor at that time, made it feel that my regular ERF with a
240 Gardner appear to have three pots missing, they needed a crowbar
to get me out the cab when I got back.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Hi Harry, Ho[pe you are keeping well, What was under the bonnet :question: , May I ask, Take care my friend and stay safe, I will drink your good health before I retire to my bed, With a loveley Glenmorangie, In a large glass of course, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Hi Harry, Ho[pe you are keeping well, What was under the bonnet :question: , May I ask, Take care my friend and stay safe, I will drink your good health before I retire to my bed, With a loveley Glenmorangie, In a large glass of course, Regards Larry.

Hiya,
Larry enjoy your tipple my friend and keep well, with reference to the
Scammell the motor belonged to Glenny and was Rolls powered but I’m
not sure what size engine and it certainly went well,I got the motor for
the one trip delivered to me by a fitter at Hexham where I’d broken
down with the 240 Percy engined ERF my regular motor, the clutch was
inoperable the bleedin’ pedal had snapped off.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Love that pic
Proper working motor and it looks like the load weighs a fortnight

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, didn’t Jakies retain a Crusader until quite recently for taking trailers
for test and the odd job around the doors, do they still have it ?.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

A totally different subject Harry but are you aware of the Bowker Atki in the HCVM at Leyland. It was driven by the same driver from day one until it was taken off the road . I can’t remember its age but it was a late 60s motor

This Crusader was new in service with Jim Squibb who was early on the International trucking scene, I remember the day it was delivered to his yard which by then was in Chandlers Ford near Southampton and it came from dealer Lex Tillotson and that was in the early 70’s at the time I was pilot of a GUY Big J for them but only for a week before Ide had enough, Jim was a speedway rider all those years ago and started out in an old timber yard at Bartley, I went to school with Barry his son but he was a tad younger than me. They also did a stint at ME work IIRC but later the company was transformed into Transport Services and both Father & Son did Autocross in Ford cars and Barry was very good at it.
Remember when I was a nipper first seeing one of his motors driven by a chap called Batten and that was an old round cab AEC non sleeper and that was about 1963 so he really was one of the pioneers on the International scene, going on to have a contract with Avon tyre’s, Cheers Buzzer

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Harry, They parted with all their Crusaders , They were replaced with Leyland Road Trains T 45 s, The first few were two axle Units, Then the rest that they got were all three axles, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Harry, They parted with all their Crusaders , They were replaced with Leyland Road Trains T 45 s, The first few were two axle Units, Then the rest that they got were all three axles, Regards Larry.

Glendinnings (not sure if that’s the correct spelling) had a Crusader for taking trailers to test could it be that one Harry is thinking of