Saviem's fan club (Part 2)

Belgian Brossel.

Pub Brossel Europ

1 Like

A french home removals company - Dubouil Agen with a Berliet.

20220815 Demenagements - Dubouil Agen - Berliet TLC6

1 Like

Another photo from the same company.

2 Likes

Couple of nostalgic pics… Going on holiday, French style…

I use to go touring on my bike, but this is something else…

3 Likes

Bernard 6R150 1960 from Saint-Marc. A fine looking machine.

Bernard_6R150_1960_Saint-Marc_20190113

2 Likes

Pair of project Berliets from 1968
berliet-glc---1968---(france)---prototype-18592
berliet-projet-18425

3 Likes

A Bernard from Abattoirs Industriels - Menager et Fils

2 Likes

Down the scrapyard with some unusual old motors.

big-2478958e3d

2 Likes

Few more.

Latil

Stery Puch

1 Like

Hi Saviem thread watchers and posters.
It pains me to say it, but there seems very little interest in this thread anymore. There use to be lots of people posting up, lots of comments on those posts, and interest in the various photos, lately, there is very little comment / feedback from anyone except the few Saviem “die hard fans”
I’ve looked at a few other threads, some seem to be suffering the same, some are doing OK, but there certainly seems a huge percentage drop in overall postings.

I’d like to think that this thread will carry on, even if its only for the memory of John (Saviem) but, if its dying slowly it may be better to give it a decent send off, say our goodbyes, and bow out gracefully ?

I will keep posting for a while, see how it pans out, and then perhaps have discussions with other regular posters, its certainly not mine, and mine alone, to make a final decision.

2 Likes

Hi Dave great pics please do not give up hope,John is probably looking down on us sipping his Bollinger and toasting the likes of you,Johnny,Froggy,and even young wippersnapper,There are several who still look in I’m sure,including a chap from the Black Country youn Pete Smith. I think the problem is the change of format making it less user friendly.
Was in Wickham Square yesterday tell Liz I couldnt find that nice lady who worked in the hairdressers !!
Thanks for all your input really appreciated by many.
Regards Richard

Hi Dave keep the photos coming some of us are still here
cheers Chris

Well said Richard. I do understand Dave’s frustrations. and a shame the new format has not had the impact hoped for. I also do hope the thread will keep going in memory of the great man John (Saviem) we so much appreciated.

I’d forgotten about his glasses of Bollginer - thanks for the reminder Richard.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for the responce …Richard . Johnny…Chris .hope youre all well, l’ll keep going for a bit

One of Johns Favorited lorries that wasn’t a Saviem…He did a big write up on this wagon at one point, I cant remember all the details but i THINK it was designed in 1960 /62 had disc brakes, air suspension and a designed overall weight of ? ? ? cant remember exactly, but a lot…it never went into production and was allegedly cut up / scrapped as the legislation by the French authorities was never forthcoming.
When you look at the wagons in the UK in the 60s it was light years ahead.

3 Likes

You’ve got it right, and it is (or rather was) a Bernard. Two were built. One was converted to a 6x4; the other was scrapped for spare parts. 8-wheelers were allowed at 32 tonnes in 1992 in France.

1956 Renault-Saviem “Fainéant” with underfloor 120 bhp diesel engine.

Same model, but it’s driver is definitely optimistic. Unless, of course, he’s just moving the trailer on site.

I’ll add my encouragement, Dave, to those friends of John. Just because we aren’t always posting doesn’t mean we aren’t reading and enjoying. But you must remember that it is some years since he died, quite unexpectedly, and there are many posting now who never ‘knew’ him.

My enduring memory of him was his encouragement of a project of mine to write the history of Chez Jo at Hautvillers-Ouville, now long closed after Jo’s death and the running down of the business by the subsequent owners. He knew the family and had been very kindly treated by them earlier in his career.

Sadly it all came to nothing, I had the French wife of a fellow TN member, both of whom I met there for a meal, lined up to make sure I didn’t make any linguistic mistakes and even possibly to make a French translation of the original story. But my several appeals to Jo met with no response and later, under the new management, his daughter who continued to work there for a while said she knew nothing of the project, he had never mentioned it.

A shame because, as John knew, the history stretching back maybe to the '30s and beyond was interesting, if only because of the smaller of the 2 lightning servers who, reputedly was left as a baby on the doorstep of the place, and never left till it closed. And then he retired. :grinning:

Bolly isn’t my tipple, one single glass of Port with my cheese course each evening is my limit, but I’ll raise it once again to him and all of you tonight. :joy:

1 Like

Just been looking back to the start of Saviem’s Fan Club(Part1) January 2014 and the support it kicked off with and continued during John’s time he was always very appreciative of input by others.

kevmac47
Jan 2014
Like a lot more of “his readers” I love the “Bollinger soaked ramblings” of Saviem!! His humuor, common sense and command of language is superb, It’s time for his own fan club, :smiley: :smiley:
Regars Kevmac.

oiltreader
Jan 2014
Couldn’t agree more kevmac47, I too am a big fan of his encyclopaedic knowledge of haulage, here in the UK and France, to you Saviem… bonne santé mon ami.
Oily
John was an absolute gent, on a couple of occasions he took time via PMs to wish me well and I’m sure I was not alone in receipt of such messages.

As for Saviem’s Fan Club(Part2) which is struggling with lack of photos and craic mentioned by Fergie47. Dare I say that for the benefit of those who do post the appreciation is somewhat lacking so why not hit the like button(heart) and/or the thumbsup button(plus1)
I posted regular while John was alive and for a time after. I will kick off again and see how it goes.
Oily
1957 Somua JL19 credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.

1 Like