Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Some wagons…

Didn’t someone mention Saurer last week ?..here’s two of those lovely wagons…

And one of my favorite French trucks…a “T.V.” BERNARD

Fergie47:
Not a lorry…but…

Out for a ride on the bike the other day, came across this beast parked up in a garden, didn’t have a camera so got these off Google street…Don’t know too much about civil aircraft, but my mates seem to think its French… any plane anoraks ?. :wink:

It looks similar to the one I posted up back a few pages that belonged to a haulier, well, its got two wings, 4 engines, and a trail,… I’m probably miles out… :blush: :blush:

Hello Dave Senior

What an interesting find!!
That looks hugely similar to a Lockheed Super Constellation which once was the world’s most advanced and luxurious airliner.
Hugely similar except for the triple-tail design which your one does not seem to have so I am really puzzled.

Here is the full information on this legendary airplane: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

Interestingly, one of the survivor units was actually flown to Europe from the US I believe in 2004 and fully restored to optimal flying condition, and in summertime is often seen participation in airshows in Sion airport, some 30km from where I live.
The noise produced by those four Pratt&Whitney radon engines is something else.

Here are some pictures of that very plane I took in 2006, parked up in Geneva airport when I still lived near there.

She was known for her huge engine oil consumption (apparently up to 90 litres per hour once they had done a few engine hours). And also the smoky and flame-ridden start-up; check for flame at 00:51

And here is an amateur video (one of the lucky ones who secured a seat) from aboard (good quality and shows all the stages from inside and outside including engine start-up, take-off and cruising flight)

I secretly hope to organise a tour on that plane with my dad for his 73rd next year. He is still fit and healthy now, who knows how long for. So I say carpe diem!

Now the questions of course is whether Fergie’s picture is indeed of a Connie. The big puzzle is the tail which does not match. But I know of no other plane with that Dolphin-like allure.
David, would you mind sharing the exact location of that plane?

Fergie47:
Junior…that last picture you posted of the tractors, the one with the blue chassis, red wheels, grey engine…in the '60’s, the British lorry manufacturers use to stick a cab on that, and call it a lorry, we use to think they were great, till some of us came to Europe and saw proper lorries… :unamused: :cry:

Well David, this lorry’s owner was as friendly as all the other participants in this rally, and was kind enough to let me climb into the cab and take a few pictures.

If I am very honest I thought it looked like quite a compelling workplace, given its age.

Admittedly, my left leg felt awkwardly close to the gearstick but then I am 6ft8 so I guess that wasn’t exactly standard dimension back then…
One other observation I made is that the wheel really does look quite off-centre so I imagine this might have caused some twisted backs.

Did those huge windscreens not offer unequalled forward view, better than any continental contemporary vehicle??

Perhaps I have rose spectacles on but really I think it is quite a nice lorry. Also, the restoration is top class so she really does look like new from factory which helps…

And that straight-8 Gardner engine really is quite something. I shot two videos but somehow they won’t upload to my youtube so that will be for later…

Speak later gentlemen

Bonne nuit

Davidoff:

Fergie47:
Not a lorry…but…

Out for a ride on the bike the other day, came across this beast parked up in a garden, didn’t have a camera so got these off Google street…Don’t know too much about civil aircraft, but my mates seem to think its French… any plane anoraks ?. :wink:

It looks similar to the one I posted up back a few pages that belonged to a haulier, well, its got two wings, 4 engines, and a trail,… I’m probably miles out… :blush: :blush:

Hello Dave Senior

What an interesting find!!
That looks hugely similar to a Lockheed Super Constellation which once was the world’s most advanced and luxurious airliner.
Hugely similar except for the triple-tail design which your one does not seem to have so I am really puzzled.

Here is the full information on this legendary airplane: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

Interestingly, one of the survivor units was actually flown to Europe from the US I believe in 2004 and fully restored to optimal flying condition, and in summertime is often seen participation in airshows in Sion airport, some 30km from where I live.
The noise produced by those four Pratt&Whitney radon engines is something else.

Here are some pictures of that very plane I took in 2006, parked up in Geneva airport when I still lived near there.

She was known for her huge engine oil consumption (apparently up to 90 litres per hour once they had done a few engine hours). And also the smoky and flame-ridden start-up; check for flame at 00:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7754Gd0UI

And here is an amateur video (one of the lucky ones who secured a seat) from aboard (good quality and shows all the stages from inside and outside including engine start-up, take-off and cruising flight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucFUtngkkx0

I secretly hope to organise a tour on that plane with my dad for his 73rd next year. He is still fit and healthy now, who knows how long for. So I say carpe diem!

Now the questions of course is whether Fergie’s picture is indeed of a Connie. The big puzzle is the tail which does not match. But I know of no other plane with that Dolphin-like allure.
David, would you mind sharing the exact location of that plane?

Well after some searching and web browsing I found her full history. Indeed a Connie.

She has been parked up in this yard since 1976 apparently.

Here is the full history - I guess reliable.
aviatechno.net/constellation/sui … mat=f-bhbg

Cheers

Well done.

Excellent piece of research there Junior, so now you know of two Constellations…one near you, one near me …spooky…not that the Bretagne one will ever fly again… :wink:

Double posted, too early in the morning… :blush:

The second volume is now available :

Fergie47:
Stacked twin headlights on this old Bernard…

Evening all,

Fergie, I am amazed at your picture collection! Transports Galetti, from Eygliers, Guillestrois, in the Hautes Alpes. If you saw the routes that their vehicles used to traverse, well, you would see why they ran Bernards back in the 50s and 60s. Most of the passes had a loose gravel surface, and a bit like the “Steps” on Cenis, just stone markers showing the edges, a driver really needed good steering, and brakes to stay on the road…particularly @35 tonnes all up with a single, or double compartment liquid tank doing its very best to throw you over the edge!

Bernards were loved for there utter reliability, (due in no small measure to their licence built Gardner engines), as well as stable suspension, great brakes, and pin point steering…and superb driving enviroment offered by Royanne`s Pelpel, Version, 1,2, or 3. Let alone the exotica by Frappa…but by the late 50s early 60s, Bernards rivals were pushing the boundaries on power towards the 200 hp mark, (Berliet, Willeme, Unic), and the “Gentleman of the Route”, seemed a little archaic and slow…

Eduard Bernard had passed control on his demise to his sons. New thinking, new goals, new ideas…enter the Levrier, (Greyhound)…an all French 200 hp 35 tonner, (except for its German ZF Gearbox)…

Gentlemen, we are back in 1957, (just look at what GBs manufacturers were offering at that time)…Bernard offered a contemporary looking stacked four headlight streamlined bonneted 4x2 35 tonne unit, very modern in appearance, a stark contrast to its previous long bonneted examples. And what sat under that bonnet? An all French V8,12.648cc, 120 x 140mm, 4 valve per cylinder, 200hp @2200 rpm, 80mkg torque @1800rpm,direct injection…and Air Cooled!

Designed and produced by the French company Alsthom, conceived by their engineers Ollier, and Grosshans, primarily as a power unit for Generators, and Railway use…yet Bernards sons adopted this engine as their power unit of choice to replace the 185 hp Gardner design…and it was 1300kg heavier, than its water cooled predecessor!

With its 5 speed ZF box, it had a claimed 45 litre per 100km diesel consumption, at 35 tonnes gtw. A major Tour de France was undertaken prior to its launch in 1957…half way through one engine had to be rebuilt…and production units were fitted with pure aluminium pistons rather than the bi metal early ones.

The engine was simply too heavy to fit into Bernards 26 & 19 tonne offerings, they stayed with Gardner designs, (under Charbonneaux`s beautiful curved pre Television cabs by Pelpel.

The Levrier simply wrecked the reliable reputation of Bernard amongst its faithful operators. Overheating of the rearmost cylinders, excessive oil consumption, and low levels of reliability, this railway engine was simply out of its depth in a road haulage enviroment. Many Levriers were re motored with ■■■■■■■■ Detroit, and one certainly with an AEC .690…but this was the disaster that plunged Bernard into the arms of Mack…who in turn simply could not grasp the culture, and requirements of Bernards clients…and by 62 all was history!

Bit like Atkinson trying to force its clients to take the Viewline…and Mack with the Superliner…

Lovely little company Galetti, I think that they were still running in the 90s, had some wonderful photographs of their “real” Bernards!

Sammyopposite, that fat Dutc Police man would never have cought me in that Goggomobile…except in my first LK powered Foden!

Super posts on tractors and aeroplanes. Seemed to be a French trait in having redundant aircraft as a feature. Somewhere Ive pictures of a Sunderland Flying Boat that was cut in half horizontaly, and bought back to the UK by Ukon Trucking, and Allwood Transport of Cheltenham. Rescued from its former use as a Bar Restauraunt, and I think that she ended up on the Solent as was restored…anybody know more??..Then there was a Caravelle outside Avignon…

Cheerio for now.

Thank you for all your reminiscences. I always thought French trucks ugly as a kid (born 1948) but now realise that they were actually way ahead of ours in many ways. Why do we Brits (then and now) seem to stifle any entrepreneurial spirit?

I’ve enjoyed Davidoff’s excursion into Aeroplanes. I also said ‘Connie’ when I saw the front - then went ‘aaw’. At the tail. Didn’t know they’d made any like that. Hope your Dad loves his flight - very special.

In ‘The Godfather’, the consigliere flies to California on one with the triple tail, IIRC. Worth watching the film just for that!

If I thought French trucks were ugly, surely the Caravelle was the prettiest aircraft of its day. What a gorgeous looking aeroplane!

John.

Davidoff:
Perhaps I have rose spectacles on but really I think it is quite a nice lorry. Also, the restoration is top class so she really does look like new from factory which helps…
Bonne nuit

Junior…I always compare the lorry manufacturing in the UK to the Motorcycle manufacturing of roughly the same period, the '60’s.

In the '60’s as a young lad, keen on bikes, I had to buy what the companies produced…standard motorcycles…If I wanted to make it into a sports “cafe racer” or touring bike, then I had to strip the bike, and buy new parts, like the tank, seat, clip-ons, fairing, etc etc…The M/C companies did not listen to what the public wanted, “This is what we produce, like it or lump it” attitude.
Then along came the Japanese…“What would you like young man” a cafe-racer, a touring bike, a commuter ? we will make what YOU want…The M/C industry produced a green paper in the '60’s, there was no need to worry about these Japanese up starts, they wouldn’t last 5 minuets…5 years later there was hardly a M/C industry left …

Similarly the lorry making industry suffered the same lethargic insight, often on here you will find old drivers saying that when they designed a British lorry, the last thing they did was manage to squeeze a driver in somewhere…then along came Volvo…by the time they got their act together…too little to late…no British lorry maker left…all gone…

Rose tinted glasses ? no not really, there were some good wagons came out of the UK, sturdy, economical, reliable…but with very little thought of the poor old drivers sat on a hard seat with a noisy engine right next to their ears…

I think we “oldies” look back on them as “That’s what they made, so that’s what we drove” but with fondness ? not sure about that…When I look back on my favorite old lorries, it’s the F88, F89, Scania Vabis, 110…not a British one…

Working hard for a living…

3204844561_1_2_FvScbt7X.jpg

3204607959_1_2_xg5AiC7Y.jpg

3204607887_1_2_G0S2e5dN.jpg

3204480437_1_4_8vvMvSra.jpg

3204480437_1_2_jceS58KA.jpg

3204480373_1_2_H4y1fYTs.jpg

3218399367_1_2_pP4K4wPJ.jpg

Well Saviem you are right when you say that most “flying boat” industry was based on or near Southampton water or the Solent as it is known in these parts. Have had a little dig and got a few pictures of examples, a lot of flying boats were made at Cowes on the IOW, Hamble, Calshot and Woolston and Hythe where the super marine factory was and made famous by that man R.J. Mitchell who of course designed the Spitfire. The Solent was also used for testing the bouncing bomb, cheers Buzzer.

Just for Jazzandy I have modified my text so as to make it clear to every one that the “Sunderland” was never built any where near the South Coast, enjoy the pictures.

ftit.jpg

hytheair.jpg

sunderland.jpg

Hate to be pedantic but Sunderlands were built by Shorts, mainly at Rochester and Belfast.

Hi Saviem,

The Sunderland was ML 796 when the French had finished with it in 1962, it became as you said a Disco/Restaurant in La Baule Brittany,not that far from Fergie’s maison,in 1975 it was brought back to the Duxford Museum on 3 trucks,the wings being removed and the fuselage cut in two. It took over 3 days to bring to Dunkirk and then the ferry to Harwich and on to Duxford where it lies today.

Hope all is well on the farm.

Regards
Richard

Hi Jazzandy you can be as pedantic as you like my friend but if you read my post again you will surely see that at no point did I say that Sunderlands were made in the South of England, in fact what I said was that most of the flying boat industry was based around the Solent and the post was just really for photographic perusal by viewers on this thread, cheers Buzzer.

The text says they were built at Cowes! But let’s not fall out over such a small matter.

MaggieD:
Hi Saviem,

The Sunderland was ML 796 when the French had finished with it in 1962, it became as you said a Disco/Restaurant in La Baule Brittany,not that far from Fergie’s maison,in 1975 it was brought back to the Duxford Museum on 3 trucks,the wings being removed and the fuselage cut in two. It took over 3 days to bring to Dunkirk and then the ferry to Harwich and on to Duxford where it lies today.

Hope all is well on the farm.

Regards
Richard[/quot

Hello Richard,

Sadly have had to bury my old lad today, we are all very, very sad. God, he was a real friend.

Took solace in searching through some old pictures. Found the ones relating to the Sunderland ML796. There are three F88s in Ukon silver, and one blue Saviem from Don Griffiths Allwood Transport Cheltenham, all look to be coupled to Trombone trailers. Allwood had quite a few of these in their operation.I do not have shots of the actual loads, but it looks as though it was a case of the maximum, being carried by the minimum! It appears that the fuselage was cut in two horizontaly, and as you say the wings removed, so would that have accounted for four vehicle loads? If it did they were fair ones at that.

David Junior, Fergie is quite right in what he says about the driving enviroment in the older UK built lorries. That Atkinson cab was superb when new, but after a few years the coach built wood and fibre glass construction became like a leaky tent on a wet mountainside!! Cheap to operate, oh yes…And that instrument panel made any driver a Spitfire pilot…but after a few years of neglect…oh dear!..And I sold them for a good few years in the late 60s early 70s, beautiful lorries to drive, pin point steering, great brakes, (perhaps the best ever brake pipework in the world bar none…but drafty, noisey, and uncomfortable, (that squeaky Chapman drivers seat)…and my beloved Fodens were , (in hindsight, that gift of the older person), even worse, oh yes, much worse…I well remember the pure “Portaloo” smell of my S39 when enjoying the sunshine and bumps of the road network of barren Sicily…but I forgave her that because of the unbridled 200hp Leyland engine singing through that orchestra like air split 12 speed…

John, you are right about the graceful Caravelle, what an elegant aircraft, within which I did a fair few miles, and loved every second of them. Used to catch the Algeirs Paris flight from Lyon Brun on a Friday night, wafted along a smooth silk road to Paris…then the Austin Severn Viscount back to Birmingham…but at least the Viscount had deep panoramic windows…and a noise level like a Mk 1 Atkinson with a ■■■■■■■ 180…

Cheerio for now.

Who did the job? Heaven knows how I ended up with these photographs, but I must master the technique to get them on here!

Hi Fergie/Saviem, What is this one? Cheer’s Pete ( sorry if it has been on before but too many pages to look through)