Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Bedford VAL coach chassis on that Dutch pantechnicon I reckon.

ERF-NGC (born-again TruckNetter :rofl:)

Don’t let Carl see these pantechs-he’ll be complaining about the unfair advertising! :rofl:

Seems a lot of money for the condition, however, depends on how rare the beast is, all the old vehicles are expensive here.
A Fergie T20 in really good nick having just been totally renovated, went for 3000 on Leboncoin near us recently, but I’ve seen utter junk Fergies for 1000 - 2000 that i would’nt give parking space to…Its not what theyre asking, its how much someone will pay…There was a decent Renault Magnum up last week for 4000…i know which I’d prefer…:thinking:

1 Like

I believe that the idea on Bon Coin is a sort of “Dutch Auction” or “kite flying”…
Ask a lot and if it sells …Great!
If not, progressively drop the asking price.

1 Like

The Magnum still has to be discovered yet as a classic I reckon, buy one now before it’s too late I’d say.

Screenshot_20240229_184146_Lite
Don’t think this was a long lasting marriage…?

1 Like

Screenshot_20240229_184402_Lite
Mighty Fiat seen at work here!

I finished reading the late Pat Kennett’s book on FIAT, and I never realised how big they actually were. Another interesting thing was that the V8 engine (17L) wasn’t turbo charged, although they did built some engines prior to the V8 that were turbo charged. Funny to see how everyone had a different view on things back in the day.

1 Like

Whipps…first series was 1990, so theyre now 34 years old, they finished them in 2013, a good time span for a lorry that had few changes
I was invited to the first showing / demonstration up at Bedford proving ground…they were impresive then, and still
are today

It’d be interesting to know what Leyland chassis lay beneath…

The old 14-litre straight six was bullet-proof; it translated into the Iveco Eurostar etc in the '90s. A really robust and reliable engine.

Screenshot_20240229_190232_Photos
Screenshot_20240229_190237_Photos

I recently saw this Unic at the docks in Antwerp, and I was quite surprised by how spacious the cab was. If you had one of these back in the day, you must have been one proud driver I imagine.

1 Like

I remember the introduction in Amsterdam in '90 or '91, it looked so out of place, like it came from out of space if you know what I mean. After all these years, I still find them a bit odd, although the last version with the raised roof and the Volvo gear fitted, was the best looking version IMHO.

Yes, that’d have done for me - it’s got an Eaton Twinsplitter in it (which, by the way, that Eurostar also had :wink:)

To my opinion, certainly the best engine of its generation; especially in its 380 bhp version.

Belgian Brossel

e

1 Like

Ref wine in the Loire…Use to load at this one, which was right in the town… Ackerman in Saumer .

1 Like

Remember this ?

The dreaded stripping the tilt…in this case just the sides up, still a pain though.

1 Like

Two nice old pics…

1 Like

Just over the river wasn’t it? St Hilaire/St Florent. The offices were there and tankers loaded in the shed next door. Then they moved the bottle loading to the warehouse up on top of the hill didn’t they?
All loading is from a warehouse outside the town on a ZI now Cor Chace. Boring…
The warehouse on top of the old buildings was a long trek up near the airfield. I’ve a picture of the upper place somewhere I think.

1 Like

Firm where I started doing international work still had some “inbetween” trailers, so half a curtainsider, half a tilt sort of thing if that makes sense, I’ll see if I can find some pic’s of them. They were bomb proof, made by Draco Sneek, but there were only two of the lot left where the roof slided forwards without problems, the other ones… took a bit more encouraging to put it mildly.