Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Thanks for posting these Citroen pics. What were the max weights on these Citroen lorries? I doubt that even the six wheeler was more than 20 tonnes was it?

I’d even say not more than 12 tonnes! I reckon only one was made.

I owned for a time this 1948 Citroën type 23 RU, fitted with a Perkins P4 engine giving 52 bhp. Quite brilliant on the start, but very uncomfortable, with a max speed of some 70 kph. Citroën trucks were popular because cheap, easy to maintain and solidly built, but very basic. Totally obsolete in the '60s.

Froggy55:
0I owned for a time this 1948 Citroën type 23 RU, fitted with a Perkins P4 engine giving 52 bhp. Quite brilliant on the start, but very uncomfortable, with a max speed of some 70 kph. Citroën trucks were popular because cheap, easy to maintain and solidly built, but very basic. Totally obsolete in the '60s.

Do you still wish you had it Paul ?

Paul, that Citroen “belphegor” it actually is quiet a good looking wagon for what it is, with a decent 6 cylinder motor it would have been a nice wagon I think… :slight_smile:

Fergie47:
Paul, that Citroen “belphegor” it actually is quiet a good looking wagon for what it is, with a decent 6 cylinder motor it would have been a nice wagon I think… :slight_smile:

I prefer the Berliet-cabbed vehicle. They did an extended-nose version too. Called it the Stradair I think. During my time in France I rarely saw any of the Belphegor-cabbed versions.

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
0I owned for a time this 1948 Citroën type 23 RU, fitted with a Perkins P4 engine giving 52 bhp. Quite brilliant on the start, but very uncomfortable, with a max speed of some 70 kph. Citroën trucks were popular because cheap, easy to maintain and solidly built, but very basic. Totally obsolete in the '60s.

Do you still wish you had it Paul ?

I had to sell it mainly because I had no placeto keep it dry; if I had owned a shed or had a friend nearby who could have housed id, it would probably still be here. Unfortunately, there are no vintage truck meeting in the area, and driving hundreds of kms at the wheel of such a vehicle is no fun! Another idea would have been to buy a big truck to carry it, but very expensive! It’s now in Holland.

Fergie47:

You’ve put your finger on the Belphégor’s problem! A modern and comfortable cab fitted on a 1934 chassis/mechanic!

combi89:

pete smith:

combi89:
Good Evening

you are right gentlemen, first one Renault 10, second one Simca Aronde and the trailer is from NICOLAS :slight_smile:

Good morning Combi,
Thank you for sharing your pics, have you any of the Tractomas units? If so, you will have a friend for life in PV83 as he is an avid fan! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes I have, from the first with Pelpel cab like Willème and many others, I will post them in the near future …

I design some of them in 1996 (with MAN engine) and in 2005, with Cat engine for ROTRAN in South Africa
And I was the manager for the last Australian version …

Avid fan Pete? Me? Nah mate… :laughing:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:

You’ve put your finger on the Belphégor’s problem! A modern and comfortable cab fitted on a 1934 chassis/mechanic!

I know it’s a big “what if” sort of thing… but just imagine for a moment Citroen did concentrate on the 12t market and upwards, would their designs be as powerful as the DS, SM, CX range and so on? And more interesting, what sort of engines would they’ve gone for?

Any ideas what this could be Paul?

jsutherland:

pv83:
One for Johnnie :wink:

Cheers Patrick. Things have changed just a tad since then :smiley:

Yes mate, for a start those horrible fridges are a lot more quiet these days! :wink:

pv83:
Any ideas what this could be Paul?

A very interesting vehicle about which I can’t say much, apart that its registered in the Creuse département; it’s also mentione on the driver’s door, with the phone number. According to its cast-steel wheel hubs, it could be a pre-WW II Renault, but I must try to know more…

Well, it’s definitely a Renault. Either a pre-WW II ZPDF, or a post-WW II 215 D; registered in 1949. Almost the same chassis anyway, but unfortunately no idea about its coachbuilder. The grille could have been taken on a big Saurer truck.

Froggy55:
Well, it’s definitely a Renault. Either a pre-WW II ZPDF, or a post-WW II 215 D; registered in 1949. Almost the same chassis anyway, but unfortunately no idea about its coachbuilder. The grille could have been taken on a big Saurer truck.

Merci beaucoup pour les information monsieur :wink:

Seems like it’s lunchtime… :wink:

Certainly! And all trucks are French! You woulkdn’t see that today!

BR 2019-11-18.jpegNow, here’s a strange picture found on this morning’s issue of our local newspaper (online)
I can’t see how the small Renault Mascott can drag that big 3-axle semi-trailer, but there it is! Can’t see any trick or photoshopping in that picture.
leberry.fr/bourges-18000/ac … _13686057/

Froggy55:
0Now, here’s a strange picture found on this morning’s issue of our local newspaper (online)
I can’t see how the small Renault Mascott can drag that big 3-axle semi-trailer, but there it is! Can’t see any trick or photoshopping in that picture.
leberry.fr/bourges-18000/ac … _13686057/

That must be the biggest BE combination I’ve seen! Not sure how legal that is, as the Dutch manufacturer of such combinations doesn’t give any details…?

veldhuizen.nl/producten/trekker-oplegger/vlak

Thanks for the link! One of their trailers is 12 meter long, and may be the clue to the picture:
veldhuizen.nl/producten/trekker … -oplegger/