Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

The Ugly and the pretty ? or both ugly ?

Old heavies

3107942517_1_11_GSQtCSXX.png

Nice old pic…father and son perhaps…

Fergie47:

Dave…I think they are both ugly, not pretty, like me, thee, & Mappo :slight_smile: :wink: Ray.

Fergie47:
Nice old pic…father and son perhaps…

Yes Dave, Nice old picture of an unusual little lorry. It has 6 stud wheels on the back
axle, and 4 stud wheels on the front. Citroen or Renault perhaps ? Regards, Ray.

Fergie47:
Some old black and white pic’s…

Mines the La Rochelle to Paris Berliet…beautiful !!

Over to you Froggy for descriptions :wink:

The 3 first are most interesting!

• Pic 1 is a Berliet GPEF 6x2 (c. 1933)
  • Pic 2 is a Bernard (c. 1950) belonging to the Borca fleet, which used Bernard trucks until the very end of the make; some of them were still on the road in the early 1980s. Late Martin Phippard was a friend of the Borca family in Cormeilles near Paris. After Bernard, they switched to Mack and finally to Mercedes. The firm stopped after a fire destroyed their premises, probably in the 1990s.
  • Pic 3 is a Willème L 10 T 8 run by Transports Rieubland of Agen. Initially fitted with a big 18 litre 225 bhp straight-8, it was repowered with a more reliable 190 bhp 6-cyl Willème engine.

Fergie47:
Few more

You’re in specially good form these days, treating us with great pictures! I always loved these 6x2 “cruisers” of the 1950s and 1960s! The first must be an Unic Esterel. Pic 6 is a Willème L 10 B; Pic 7 an Unic ZU 72T; Pic 8 a Lancia; Pics 9 & 10 Panhard.

Fergie47:

The first oe could certainly have competed for the title of the mmost ugly truck of the year! Probably a Willème LC 610 B.

Froggy55:

Fergie47:

The first oe could certainly have competed for the title of the mmost ugly truck of the year! Probably a Willème LC 610 B.

There there now… it’s got feelings too you know… :wink:

Ray Smyth:

Fergie47:

Dave…I think they are both ugly, not pretty, like me, thee, & Mappo :slight_smile: :wink: Ray.

Well Ray, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly…I’m the good…, sort the other two out between you and Mappo… :unamused:

Froggy55:

• Pic 2 is a Bernard (c. 1950) belonging to the Borca fleet, which used Bernard trucks until the very end of the make; some of them were still on the road in the early 1980s. Late Martin Phippard was a friend of the Borca family in Cormeilles near Paris. After Bernard, they switched to Mack and finally to Mercedes. The firm stopped after a fire destroyed their premises, probably in the 1990s.
  • Pic 3 is a Willème L 10 T 8 run by Transports Rieubland of Agen. Initially fitted with a big 18 litre 225 bhp straight-8, it was repowered with a more reliable 190 bhp 6-cyl Willème engine.

Thanks Paul…interesting that some had so much power and sleeper cabs way back.

Froggy55:
You’re in specially good form these days, treating us with great pictures! I always loved these 6x2 “cruisers” of the 1950s and 1960s! The first must be an Unic Esterel. Pic 6 is a Willème L 10 B; Pic 7 an Unic ZU 72T; Pic 8 a Lancia; Pics 9 & 10 Panhard.

The 6 wheelers were nearly all good looking motors back in the '60’s, use to see and admire them at Runges in the late '60’s and early '70’s, and when you were driving a Guy Big J with 180 hp at 32 tons with no sleeper, it made you realize how far behind our continental cousins we really were.

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Thanks Paul…interesting that some had so much power and sleeper cabs way back.

Froggy55:

The 6 wheelers were nearly all good looking motors back in the '60’s, use to see and admire them at Runges in the late '60’s and early '70’s, and when you were driving a Guy Big J with 180 hp at 32 tons with no sleeper, it made you realize how far behind our continental cousins we really were.

Did you struggle to keep up with the French motors at the time Senior? The French colleagues must have given you the beady eye when you first came over in that Guy I can imagine…?

Sad day for France, and especially for Paris… :cry: :cry:

Certainly. The cathedral of Nevers was almost reduced to rubble when bombed by the RAF by mistake on July 16, 1944. It finally was almost totally rebuilt, and I can tell you that nothing can be noticed, apart from the stained glasses replaced by modern ones.
See also
messe.forumactif.org/t6043-dossi … americains

Did you use to drive th return journey from Rungis the same day with your Guy? Or perhaps sleep between two beef carcasses at the back?

Fergie47:
Sad day for France, and especially for Paris… :cry: :cry:

Yes indeed! Last night I exchanged texts with a girl with whom I stood among its gargoyles 47 years ago. It’s like losing St Pauls or the Sultan Ahmet in Istanbul. Robert :cry:

Leyland Chieftain with Pelpel cab

Brazilian Fiat 190, with 290 bhp engine.

Saviem JL20V with Cottard cab.

I had never seen this one before! Thanks Michel!

Froggy55:
Leyland Chieftain with Pelpel cab

How much were sold with that Pelpel cab fitted Froggy?