Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Publicity photo

Accidental, or Arson ? either way, expensive.

8313768817.jpg

794448797.jpg

When life was a little less hectic…

Fergie47:

pv83:
Wasn’t the rear bogie cable steered? Older Nooteboom trailers had that system before the hydraulics were introduced.

Possibly, variations on a theme…others more experienced will tell I’m sure

There’s only one person I can think of with such experience to tell us how it worked… unfortunately Herr Sutherland is off skiing this week…

Fergie47:
Down the scrap yard.

I thought Swiss Saurers never died…

One for down memory lane. A Vittel Bernard.

These Bernards were well built, very fine and smart looking, but also very slow; their max speed usually did not exceed 60 kph. The engine was an rebored (130 instead of 108 mm) version of the Gardner 6 LW, giving 150 bhp at 1700 rpm.

Froggy55:
These Bernards were well built, very fine and smart looking, but also very slow; their max speed usually did not exceed 60 kph. The engine was an rebored (130 instead of 108 mm) version of the Gardner 6 LW, giving 150 bhp at 1700 rpm.

Beautiful looking wagons though…60Kms fair lick of speed !!

Here’s a pic of my brother-in-laws Scammell Junior Constructor, in the early '70’s @100 + tons, with a top speed of 28 mph empty, with a fair wind behind it…he was only 22 when he drove it. The difference between the Junior and Constructor was, the Junior 6 X 4,
and the Constructor 6 X 6
Not sure what engine. I’ll have ask him, either a 680 Leyland or Gardner 150.

Froggy55:

Thanks for the information Paul. You have such an amazing knowledge of the French wagons.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Here’s a pic of my brother-in-laws Scammell Junior Constructor, in the early '70’s @100 + tons, with a top speed of 28 mph empty, with a fair wind behind it…he was only 22 when he drove it. The difference between the Junior and Constructor was, the Junior 6 X 4,

I can imagine braking wasn’t much fun either. [emoji4]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Froggy55:

Thanks for the information Paul. You have such an amazing knowledge of the French wagons.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

I’d rather say a good collection of magazines at home! :smiley:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

I don’t think two such trucks can be compared. The Bernard was designed for long fast money-making journeys; some were even refrigerated.

The Constructor, designed exclusively for ultra-heavy jobs, can be compared to the big Berliet GBO/TBO some of which were fitted with a very short transmission ration giving a top speed of some 40 kph. Their engine was more powerful tha the Scammell’s with 200 bhp in the first 1956 version (Ricardo injection), upgraded to 240 bhp with the MAN injection in 1959 (300 bhp if turbocharged).

This GBO had a 2nd axle fitted, making it an unique bonneted 8x4.

Not much suspension travel at the back of the 8 wheeler.

Froggy55:
I don’t think two such trucks can be compared. .

I was only comparing the speeds, not the lorries

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
I don’t think two such trucks can be compared. .

I was only comparing the speeds, not the lorries

Anyway, at that time, speed, fuel consumption and driving times were not the main concerns of transport! With no motorways or tachymeters and very tolerant police, the main goal was that the stuff did reach its destination!

An Austrian ÖAF Hurricane 7-130. This make was bought by MAN who kept the brand for some time like they did with ERF. An excellent sampling of ÖAF trucks here:
myntransportblog.com/tag/oaf/

Fergie 47

hi Dave 680 Leyland ended up in Africa

DISPATCHER:
Fergie 47

hi Dave 680 Leyland ended up in Africa

Thanks Chris. …probably still going strong :wink:

Unusual motor.

Click on page twice.

This vehicle is famous on this side of the Channel! The basis is a Berliet TRK 10, not TRX.