Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Punchy Dan:
saw this ,reminded me of saviem coming to Cosford .

And here is Saviem’s Star Flyer, credit for pic is Dave the Renegade,

pv83:

Froggy55:

pv83:
Spotted this Panhard today on the motorway, you don’t see much of those about, certainly not here up North…

It’s a Panhard 24 BT of the mid '60s. My brother owned one back in the late 1990s, and I remember driving it for a short trip, sitting on a bucket because the seat had been removed for repair. Rather brilliant and well equipped for its time, and its 858 cc flat twin was very gutty!

Lovely looking motor eh, still needed some TLC though… always reckoned they were fitted with 1.2l engines…?

Panhard produced only 1 type of flat-2 engine, with a displacement of 858 cc. They built one specially for the Army, assembling together 6 car engines, to power the EBR, thus giving a flat-12:
lerendezvousdelareine.fr/de-panh … cylindres/

Froggy55:
Panhard produced only 1 type of flat-2 engine, with a displacement of 858 cc. They built one specially for the Army, assembling together 6 car engines, to power the EBR, thus giving a flat-12:

Froggy…If the Panhard car is a rare beast today, then this would be even rarer…

651640P1080609.jpg

A mix of old heavies

Two nice old scenes…

First pic…like they use to in Scotland, la Poste would to take the odd passengers to “deliver” them to remote areas…in this case it looks like another Postie getting a lift , then continuing on his bike when he got close to his area…
Perhaps Froggy can remember it happening in his region

Second pic…Horse meets Horseless carriage.

180412072849470648.jpg

The heavy, complicated, and expensive, gearbox, transfer box, final front / rear drive units, and suspension on a 6 X 6 Berliet.

Fergie47:
Two nice old scenes…

First pic…like they use to in Scotland, la Poste would to take the odd passengers to “deliver” them to remote areas…in this case it looks like another Postie getting a lift , then continuing on his bike when he got close to his area…
Perhaps Froggy can remember it happening in his region

Second pic…Horse meets Horseless carriage.

It looks like a clever “roll on / roll off” luggage carrier I had never seen before! I think I must have been too young (if born), when the picture was taken. Country bus service (I was such a bus driver until 1991) usd to carry parcels and various goods, and probably the postal vans did too. I’d rather say the bicycles are carried as parcels.

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Froggy…If the Panhard car is a rare beast today, then this would be even rarer…

Very interesting indeed, cheers for the link Froggy :wink:

By gum Senior, you’ve really found sommat special there, surely that’s a one-off?

pv83:
By gum Senior, you’ve really found sommat special there, surely that’s a one-off?

No Whips, it was a production model. …

Road maintenance in “deep France” in 1953, in fact very close to where I live. An interesting film with a Berliet GDR and a few ex-WW II GMCs
memoire.ciclic.fr/1250-entretien-des-routes-l

Little impression of this year’s Locomotion…

My favourites are pics 3 (Bonifay’s Willème) and 8 (Berliet GPR 12 Frigo) in batch 1; love the Saurers too. For driving, of course Iveco 190-48 (Pic 8 in batch 4). Wasn’t the weather too bad? I usually come every 3 years.

Froggy55:
My favourites are pics 3 (Bonifay’s Willème) and 8 (Berliet GPR 12 Frigo) in batch 1; love the Saurers too. For driving, of course Iveco 190-48 (Pic 8 in batch 4). Wasn’t the weather too bad? I usually come every 3 years.

I would go for Brame’s Berliet (fitted with a ■■■■■■■■■ but that’s hardly a surprise, is it…? :wink:

Had a go in Glenn’s Leyland Super Comet and Volvo F12, loved every minute of it!

Weather was great, was pouring down on Saterday night though…

pv83:
I would go for Brame’s Berliet (fitted with a ■■■■■■■■■ but that’s hardly a surprise, is it…? :wink:

Had a go in Glenn’s Leyland Super Comet and Volvo F12, loved every minute of it!

Weather was great, was pouring down on Saterday night though…

I drove a Volvo F 12 for a few weeks some 25 years ago, before speed limiters were fitted standard on all European trucks; fully loaded, it could easily stick to 120 Kph; total madness nowadays! Heavy haulage tractors such as Berliets and Willèmes were commonly re-fitted with ■■■■■■■■ but also offered with ■■■■■■■ when new. That was the case for the Berliet TBO 335, fitted with an Allison automatic gearbox.