Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:
Stumbled upon these… pulling power suplied by one of Saviem’s favourites…

Hullo Patrick and all

I hope you are all well. I have been away busy with various things ever since Locomotion where I had the pleasure to meet some members on here in person!

Let me start with that beautiful Peugeot 403 cabriolet on that post of yours.
A very rare car indeed. One of best mates in my native Dordogne has restored one and so I know a little bit about the history of that car.

• Just over 2000 units were built between 1956 and 1960
  • Sales price at a 40% premium to the regular sedan
  • There are some 150-200 left registered in France, which makes this a rarity indeed. There might be some abroad, including perhaps Peter Falke’s one (Lieutenant Colombo).

My mate’s unit was very poorly when he found her. Pitted with rust everywhere, she had even been retrofitted with a diesel engine!

Now she is back in her original shape thankfully, a superb restoration.

All the best
David

That Grasshopper certainly won’t have expected to be photographed in that setting that day…

And now finally some pictures from the Locomotion en fête 2017 show, which took place in Melun between Jun 9th and 11th.

Most of us had gathered already on Thursday 8th evening for some other lorry-related activities the next morning (basically an attempt at rescuing an old 141 from a scrapper’s).

Good old flashback to the 70s and 80s with a variety of makes, some of which long gone (but not forgotten).

IMG_0848.JPG

From left to right:

• My Scania 142 (1986)
  • Julien’s Renault G300 Manager (1992)
  • Julien’s Renault R390 V8 (1986)
  • Julien’s Saviem SM280 V8 (I believe 1976)
  • Glenn’s Volvo F12 (1984)

That same night we have a proper camion stew (note the barbecue - an old Berliet TR305 oil sump)

More to follow shortly

Davidoff:

pv83:

Hullo Patrick and all

I hope you are all well. I have been away busy with various things ever since Locomotion where I had the pleasure to meet some members on here in person!

A very rare car indeed. One of best mates in my native Dordogne has restored one and so I know a little bit about the history of that car.

• There are some 150-200 left registered in France, which makes this a rarity indeed. There might be some abroad, including perhaps Peter Falke’s one (Lieutenant Colombo).

My mate’s unit was very poorly when he found her. Pitted with rust everywhere, she had even been retrofitted with a diesel engine!

All the best
David

Ey up David,

Aye, it’s been a wee while now, sometimes feels like it never took place, know what I mean…? All is well though, how about yourself?

Cheers for the info and pic’s about the Peugeot mate, I always reckoned that the 504 coupe was the most elegant Peugeot of them all…not sure after seing these pic’s though… :wink:

About that last pic, the camion stew… looks like a cold start of the Scanny with all that blue-ish smoke… :unamused: :blush: :wink:

A pair of long-nosed cloggies next to us on the show. A beautifully-restored Mack and a Volvo L495 right next to him.

Norbert Freret from Normandy had come out in force.

Volvo F1220, F16, F88, and his Berliet TR305. Stunning restorations, all of them.

We had an excellent lunch on Sunday. Really nice.

pv83:

Davidoff:

pv83:

Hullo Patrick and all

All the best
David

Ey up David,

Aye, it’s been a wee while now, sometimes feels like it never took place, know what I mean…? All is well though, how about yourself?

Cheers for the info and pic’s about the Peugeot mate, I always reckoned that the 504 coupe was the most elegant Peugeot of them all…not sure after seing these pic’s though… :wink:

About that last pic, the camion stew… looks like a cold start of the Scanny with all that blue-ish smoke… :unamused: :blush: :wink:

Hullo Patrick

How are you mate? Ready to jump into the FH again for another France run with some massive combine on your lowloader?

Yes that 403 really looks the part. And my friend’s restoration really is unique so makes the car all the more impressive.
I know that Peugeot frequently resorted to Italian designer Pininfarina. I know for a fact that the 404 carried his signature, the 403 quite possibly too but not 100% sure.

As for that barbecue, well spotted that observation about the smoke. That picture is deceptive!
And your right there it really looked as though the 142 was belching out het usual early morning symphony. (though had it been a Volvo you would of seen nothing at all!).
Having said that, at that point in time the 142 was just resting from a full days work, exactly 600 kms from Switzerland to the Région Parisienne. And what a lovely run that was too.

Froggy55:

David Miller:
Splendid weekend at Melun with a wonderful array of vehicles on show. Other shows should learn from this model having all kinds of vehicles, cars, army vehicles, including a magnificent German WW2 half-track, ambulances, fire engines, vans - there were 2 Morris 1000 ex Post Office that had come to the show, and motor cycles.
The down side was the parking that was absolute chaos allowing parking only on tarmac runways meaning that you faced one hell of a walk. In our case we walked more than a mile and a half to the show which was a trial if you are lame like I am. Also there was no provision for disabled parking. All in all it was enough to put me off from going back on the Sunday - when there would have been even more visitors.
Anyoldhoo I took lots of pictures and here is a selection of the rarer exhibits that caught my eye,

Hi David,
I did enjoy my day too (just 180 kms from where I live, so a short journey), but indeed there were some perfectible points, though parking wasn’t so far from the show itself; they probably had rethought it completely on Sunday when I was there.

• not a single water tap to wash one’s hands
  • very expensive low-quality food. We had to queue half an hour under a parching sun to get a miserable sandwich + a share of cake + a small bottle of water for 12€
  • very few opportunities to chat with truck owners. In fact, I only chatted with English-speaking people when I’m French!

I must confess we French have still a long way to do concerning facilities for disabled people; shame on us…

This was the first time The Locomotion was organised at Melun, after a 2-year disruption due to misagreement with the La Ferté-Alais managers. Let’s hope they’ll improve some aspects of their organisation next year!

c. 1935 Willème GZ 8, in perfect condition! 14 tonnes GCW, powered by a 10.5 litre 80 bhp Deutz-Willème diesel. Certainly one of the oldest preserved French trucks! I really feel sorry I wasn’t there when they started it…

The inside with its wooden 5-spoke steering wheel.

Hello Froggy

I hope you are well. It was great meeting you in person at Loco. And of course thanks again for sharing that lovely bottle of Sancerre.
Oh and before i forget I still have your corkscrew - it isn’t lost, next time we meet it’ll be returned to its rightful owner!

Now as regards this Willeme, i was lucky enough to coincidentally walk past with my camera when they was about to unload her.
Here is some footage including some videos.

By the way I can think of a worse vehicle to be towed by - a beautiful and unrestored 190-48 Iveco. Boy did that V8 sound thunderous.

First some videos of the Willème…

Getting ready:

Now seriously.
Check the more than rudimentary exhaust system (towards 00:40)

Rolling off nicely

Pictures to follow soon

A true barn find.

The interior looks as clean as the outside…

[click on the picture - it will sit upright]

Small details can add so much charm…

That’s it for the Willème. Lovely sounding and looking. Definitely a unique motor today.

Two generations of passionate lorry drivers (and TN members) meeting in a lorry’s cab. Couldn’t have been more appropriate.

We had some good fun together

Much can probably be said about the organisation, but this show undeniably unites some very diverse, always interesting machinery.

Here’s a 1970 MB 280SE (108 series) with an equally vintage caravan hooked up.

And a Peugeot 504 trailing just behind

It being an airfield, naturally there were some fine airplaines on display, not least this Consolidated PBY Catalina amphibious plane, in full flying condition.

The Catalina’s typical bee’s eyes

More info on this legendary warbird: Consolidated PBY Catalina - Wikipedia

Davidoff:
And now finally some pictures from the Locomotion en fête 2017 show, which took place in Melun between Jun 9th and 11th.

Most of us had gathered already on Thursday 8th evening for some other lorry-related activities the next morning (basically an attempt at rescuing an old 141 from a scrapper’s).

Good old flashback to the 70s and 80s with a variety of makes, some of which long gone (but not forgotten).

From left to right:

• My Scania 142 (1986)
  • Julien’s Renault G300 Manager
  • Julien’s Renault R390 V8 (1986)
  • Julien’s Saviem SM280 V8 (I believe 1976)
  • Glenn’s Volvo F12 (1984)

That same night we have a proper camion stew (note the barbecue - an old Berliet TR305 oil sump)

More to follow shortly

Wonderful stuff David, thank you

John.

Hullo John. Long time no see. I hope you are well.

Thanks for your kind words.
Try and see if next year you could join in with our Glenn. You will enjoy this show. The lorries as much as the atmosphere!

This unit, which you know well, was lacking a full-time driver!

Davidoff:
Hullo John. Long time no see. I hope you are well.

Thanks for your kind words.
Try and see if next year you could join in with our Glenn. You will enjoy this show. The lorries as much as the atmosphere!

This unit, which you know well, was lacking a full-time driver!

Great photos. Glenn offered me the chance to drive that when we last met, and my heart said yes. But I let my HGV licence lapse many years ago, so my head said no!

You’re right, both brother Andy and I would love it. I also love that Scammell from down south that usually accompanies you two.

I’ll get in touch with Glenn and make sure we attend next year.

By the way, Glenn has posted on FB a great call out he had to an old bonneted Scania motorhome, with a compressor problem. I’m sure the (Dutch?) owner didn’t realise he’d probably called out the only guy in 300 miles who could fix the problem!

All the best,

John.

Davidoff:
Two generations of passionate lorry drivers (and TN members) meeting in a lorry’s cab. Couldn’t have been more appropriate.

Looks like “someone” is being taught how to use a manual gearbox [emoji1]

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Davidoff:
First some videos of the Willème…

Getting ready:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlw8p9dwVA

Now seriously.
Check the more than rudimentary exhaust system (towards 00:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDzL-Jx_n8I

Rolling off nicely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI23dAcQ_c4

Pictures to follow soon

Thanks to you David, I now have an good idea of the Willème’s voice! I must say it makes a beautiful “couple” with the Turbostar!

No doubt you’ll keep my corkscrew busy before we meet again, maybe in 2 years at Melun? Cheers to all the gang! Paul.

Davidoff:

That bloke in the passenger seat will get where WD40 won’t! :wink:

jsutherland:

Davidoff:

Mr Sutherland will you stop stirring!

jsutherland:

Davidoff:

John

That had just been taken care of. Took a half our to get the range change thingy. Here the lecture had moved on to the benefits and user’s tips of a telma retarder!
A what retarder?