Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:
Came past this Maggie Deutz of vintage '53 today when I stopped for a tea break.
And whilst being on the subject, what is it with Germans and tea? For some odd reason they always serve a nice cuppa with lemon juice? If I then ask for milk instead I’m being the odd one in their eyes… :open_mouth: Germans and tea just don’t mingle together it seems…

Cheers, Patrick

Another old Maggie…bit bigger though… :wink:

Chose this pic as nostalgic pic for the week, although its not that old, but the caption that came with it reminds me, and no doubt many of you, of times gone by…the photo was taken by the drivers wife…of him leaving on a Sunday afternoon…

Roughly translated :- " Off again, not sure when he’ll be back "

Got me to thinking…we owe it to our wifes / parters that we left behind on so many trips, not knowing where we were going, or when we’d be back, and leaving then to run the home…they all deserve medals… :wink:

Same place…different time…

410106.jpg

410105.jpg

Bernard, I think. Robert

One of my favourite subjects…rest 'n rust…they all had their day at one time… :cry:

truck-415790_960_720.jpg

ob_391355_me1d-camion-mercedes.JPG

robert1952:
Bernard, I think. Robert

Leyland Super Hippo Robert.
Oily
Edit… The wagon in your pic Robert soon after restoration, posted it on Past Present a while back, had a bit o’ digging to find it. It’s in Australia.

Leyland_Super_Hippo_-GSK_223_at_Netley_Marsh_11-wiki_IMG_7038.jpg

Fergie47:
North Africa,Berliet territory…and big is best…

Those big Berliet’s reminded me of something similar I’ve seen some days ago on classicmachinerynet.co.uk, don’t know in which part of the world they were used but it might be the Alaskian oilfields…?
Never heard of the manufacturer before, but apparently it’s Le Touernou ( spelling might be wrong :blush: )■■?

Cheers, Patrick

10494041854c8a2e4a84492.jpg

13249723384c8a2e4b1cd27.jpg

And those oilfield lorries are still being build, came past the MOL works last week and saw two of those impressive machines… :sunglasses:

Fergie47:

I’m more than likely wrong here,but that looks more like a Tatra to me.Shape of grille and positive camber on rear wheels?? :confused:

oiltreader:

robert1952:
Bernard, I think. Robert

Oily
Edit… The wagon in your pic Robert soon after restoration, posted it on Past Present a while back, had a bit o’ digging to find it. It’s in Australia.

:laughing: I thought it looked like a Super Hippo, but the caption where I nicked it from on the web said Bernard so I blindly went with it :blush: . Thanks for doing the homework! Robert

Sir +:

Fergie47:

I’m more than likely wrong here,but that looks more like a Tatra to me.Shape of grille and positive camber on rear wheels?? :confused:

Whoops…dunarf look like a M.D… same cab peutetre…

oiltreader:

robert1952:
Bernard, I think. Robert

Oily

I know that truck well , Len Watts was a dray nan for Eldrige Pope in Dorchester , he has 2 of their old trucks ,this one and a 1948,ish Austin

Fergie47:

Sir +:

Fergie47:

Whoops…dunarf look like a M.D… same cab peutetre…

Some proper detective work’s being done here :wink:

Serious detective work indeed.
What is for sure is that the number plate is East German. They were the only ones that had that ‘chamfered off’ plate shape.

David

Fergie47:

Saviem:

Fergie47:
Twin headlights…conversion ? or for a different market…?

But I have a soft spot for the African operations….

.Cheerio for now.

Couple more for you John…bit over design weight …perhaps…

These Saviems in Fergie 47s post were, if I recall correctly, being used to move a small mountain that was being used as infill for the airport in Nice, in the South of France. This was in the 70s. Most of the airport was reclaimed from the Med. It was a massive earth moving operation.

Fergie47:

Tatra T138.

google.co.uk/search?q=tatra … tatra+t138

How about this for a sleek trailer?
en.wheelsage.org/tatra/t138/444 … es/jj8ttw/

Kerbut

Hi Nigel my uncle work for Eldridge Pope Dorchester

Dave keep them heavies coming cant get enough of them

Hi Chris
If you look closely at the photo of the Leyland Hippo the building in the background is actually a caravan which Len “clad” with the sides of wooden Eldrige Pope beer bottle crates and he towed behind the Leyland to shows .

[zb]
anorak:

Fergie47:

Tatra T138.

google.co.uk/search?q=tatra … tatra+t138

How about this for a sleek trailer?
en.wheelsage.org/tatra/t138/444 … es/jj8ttw/

Think I’ll stick to just posting pictures… :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

[zb]
anorak:

Fergie47: