Sat nav[owning one]

I just use my TomTom truck nav, my eyes, a brain and a few map books as back up, I even go mad and use Google maps…
Why the ■■■■ would you not use stuff that makes life easier, :unamused:
I am near 51 years old passed my first hgv and Class 1 psv the same week at 21 years old, passed class 1 on my 50th birthday… I am not a technophobe but I am not an idiot, take help when you can get it, only the idiot looks a gift horse in the mouth :wink:

Just started my first job this week and have a Tomtom 6000 plus a Philips navigator atlas as well as google. I will use anything that helps me do my job including my own knowledge of where places are, really don’t see what the problem is!

Juddian:
Truckman.
In fact you are the perfect sat nav lorry driver owner/user but you maybe haven’t thought of it like this.

Think of it as a handy pocket sized street map of the country only, nothing else, you don’t need it for directions (nor does any pro lorry driver), all you need is a street map that fits in yer sky rocket.

Handily any cheapo pratnav will do this, you proved you know how to drive a lorry and how to avoid bridges so lorry nav would be pointless for you, cheapest thing with a larger screen for your million mile lorry driver eyes would be plenty…i’m as technophobic as you but i find Garmins in particular quite logical to use, only use the thing once in a blue moon to search out a new delivery point other than that its on traffic search :bulb: all the time…that’s another handy bonus for one you might not have thought of.

I have thought about a garmin as I have seen others use them and they are quite impressive over others,have to think about getting one

F-reds:
So you got in trouble for forgetting an essential piece of kit basically.

Forget the sat nav, you clearly don’t need it. Just don’t leave your map book at home you plum!

agree with that

trevHCS:

robroy:
I’m known on here for taking the ■■■■ out of the guys with the ott Astronaut spec sat navs :blush::unamused: :smiley: .

Eh what, I’m sure in another thread you said you were buying a £500 sat nav with DAB radio, TV built and dash cam built in…shows what I know. :smiley:

I really don’t see Truckman needing an all-singing sat nav as it’d be an expensive brick flying out the window within a week, but having spent roughly half my (car) driving life without one and then with one, I’m with RobRoy and think they are a handy little tool just to make life a little easier. Years ago I suppose you could ask people for directions, but presumably that’s becoming less and less common and likely gets strange looks rather than an answer these days, that’s assuming you can find anyone who understands you!

Admittedly for the beginner I would say there’s more reason to buy one of the stupidly expensive ones. Not because they can’t read a map (hope they can!), but because in the beginning when learning the job, it’s handy to have a passenger who can just keep an eye on things like 7.5T zones and such, at least for the first year. That’s my excuse.

Btw Truckman - ask your office how they think you managed before all those GPS satellites were launched. :slight_smile:

true,they run a transport company but don’t think they really have a clue tbh

wrighty1:
Just started my first job this week and have a Tomtom 6000 plus a Philips navigator atlas as well as google. I will use anything that helps me do my job including my own knowledge of where places are, really don’t see what the problem is!

technology,i cant get on with it,still learning about my pc,any problems I have to ask my younger bruv

truckman020:

wrighty1:

technology,i cant get on with it,still learning about my pc,any problems I have to ask my younger bruv

Spent my first day driving yesterday with one of the companies old hands, at just over 70 he uses a sat nav just for a bit of guidance.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk