Saskatchewan the best / 'easiest' province for eventual PR?

Never had a problem in Quebec and I’ve been there hundreds of times. You’ll get a long haul job for any Quebec company but not local work unless you speak French.

foresttrucker:
Kind of got cold feet in the end about making such a commitment but the flights and so on were booked anyway so I toured Alberta & Saskatchewan to get a feel for the place.

I had heard that the prairies were grim but I wasn’t quite prepared for how bland the landscape (and lifestyle?) would be. One scenario might have been to start out around Saskatoon then move to Alberta for better hours/money, Calgary is definitely going places and has this sense of energy & wealth but the surroundings are soulless. The downtowns in all the cities I visited were so poor compared to a place like Portland or Vancouver. I know much time would be spent in the truck especially the first year and a bit yet you do need a break from that. The people were very nice, friendly and enterprising like Americans but with some British order.

Loved the bit in Chris Arbons book where the farmers dog ran off and he could still see him running 2 days later while sitting in his porch :slight_smile:

I agree with most of what Newmercman has said on here, the prairies really are hell on earth and Deadville with its religious nuts is not really a pleasant place to live but this silly talk about buying a bike ffs. You know you really want that new shape Mustang next year lol.

Just can’t comprehend why people hate the Prairies , sure it’s different , but it makes up for itself in so many other ways . Take last night , we knew there was a storm coming in with tornado alerts so got prepared , followed a live stream from the storm chaser and the BOOM ,best light show on earth for a few hours .
The people are friendly , extremely little crime ,beautiful scenery and plenty of wildlife to observe and stick in the freezer :slight_smile: .Lots of social life ,during all seasons , and a great place to raise a family , the kids will have far more opportunities here than other parts of Canada or Blighty . Little formality because most folks respect each other for who they are , have worn a tie and trousers 3 times in 8 yrs , 2 grads and citizenship ceremony , but have been to lots of top dollar functions where the atmosphere is casual and so is the attire .
Winter can be a ■■■■■ at times , but life goes on accordingly or is adjusted to suit ,no big deal . One day I’ll move on , but that’ll be in a box , until then it’s maximum attack and enjoy what life brings .

flat to the mat:
Just can’t comprehend why people hate the Prairies , sure it’s different , but it makes up for itself in so many other ways . Take last night , we knew there was a storm coming in with tornado alerts so got prepared , followed a live stream from the storm chaser and the BOOM ,best light show on earth for a few hours .
The people are friendly , extremely little crime ,beautiful scenery and plenty of wildlife to observe and stick in the freezer :slight_smile: .Lots of social life ,during all seasons , and a great place to raise a family , the kids will have far more opportunities here than other parts of Canada or Blighty . Little formality because most folks respect each other for who they are , have worn a tie and trousers 3 times in 8 yrs , 2 grads and citizenship ceremony , but have been to lots of top dollar functions where the atmosphere is casual and so is the attire .
Winter can be a ■■■■■ at times , but life goes on accordingly or is adjusted to suit ,no big deal . One day I’ll move on , but that’ll be in a box , until then it’s maximum attack and enjoy what life brings .

Yep, amen to that

flat to the mat:

That’s what I like to read, someone who knows what they want and just went and got it. We’ll done you

flat to the mat:

Totally agree with this post, especially the friendly people part. I’ll give an example of this. I live in a small rural town in Manitoba and my Dodge Durango is in the garage for repair. So I’ve to pick up a mattress this week from a town that’s about 35 mile away and without any prompting a neighbour has offered to lend me his pickup to collect it. Yet back home in Belfast, I’d have got a complete lecture from my brother if I’d asked to borrow his van and with heavy heart he’d hand his keys over.

This generosity and kindness is a daily event here and I can’t imagine wanting to live anywhere else now.

Canny Lad:
I agree with most of what Newmercman has said on here, the prairies really are hell on earth and Deadville with its religious nuts is not really a pleasant place to live but this silly talk about buying a bike ffs. You know you really want that new shape Mustang next year lol.

Oh now you’re talking, I’m banned from going to Fords on my own, turned up to meet her indoors for lunch in one identical to yours and she had a sense of humour failure, strange creatures, I would’ve been chuffed to bits if it was the other way around ;lol:

Maybe prairie living is different outside of the bible belt, but here most Canadian’s are from Germany, Russia or one of its neighbours. Everything social here has a church connection to it. This town had 30 odd churches and one of them is the size of a shopping precinct.

For a heathen dog off a south east London council estate, it’s not what I’m used to, however it does have its good points, it’s certainly better for the kids, when they’re younger at least, but once they’re older then the church and its nepotism decides whether they get a decent job or not.

As I travel around the country for my job, I get to see the rest of it and even though the prairie towns offer a better life than I could have back in England, I know that Canada has so much more to offer, even the smaller towns, I’d take a bunch of lakes or mountains over a bunch of churches any day of the week :cry:

aye NMM it may be only 100ml but it seems folk are very different over your way…seems to start abot Kane on #23 and gets more churchy as i head east ,load …then people return to normal ish when i cross at jordan corner :laughing:
lol socials up our way are definately not churchy up on the escarpment! its all about getting laid,drunk a fight and not always in that order :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused:
hell sats you could have got A … tae pick up my truck from work if ya needed it.,i would only drank your coors lol…

Kane? That’s the little town that has a daily burn out competition :laughing:

When that redneck family with all the junk pick ups moved in all the other houses had for sale signs in the front garden within a fortnight :cry:

yup …everyday new rubber on the road…did ya check out the redneck hottub on the trailer? outside the house …the b**** were in it the other day while i was trundling back and forward…&&&& were drinking beer while i was melting.

As you know I used to pass that place at the start and finish of every trip, I’ve seen the RCMP there more times than not, I feel very sorry for the neighbours.

Hey Jimmy, I picked the stuff up on Saturday and I was thinking you’d be too busy getting ate at pelican lake by the mozzies :laughing:

1. If someone achieves PR under SINP or MPNP etc, and they move to another province, would that potentially screw up an application for citizenship? I mean surely that’s purely federal business, once PR is granted then the province don’t have a ‘hold’ over you, right?

2. Why isn’t Manitoba suggested so much? Is it because if your initial job goes **** up, it’s easier to get onto another job in Saskatchewan, or because of processing times, wages, living costs or what?

flat to the mat:
Just can’t comprehend why people hate the Prairies

Mordor + grain elevators + wooden churches :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder, if you’re on your own with no connections to begin with, any place on earth could look grim to begin with.

foresttrucker:

1. If someone achieves PR under SINP or MPNP etc, and they move to another province, would that potentially screw up an application for citizenship? I mean surely that’s purely federal business, once PR is granted then the province don’t have a ‘hold’ over you, right?

2. Why isn’t Manitoba suggested so much? Is it because if your initial job goes **** up, it’s easier to get onto another job in Saskatchewan, or because of processing times, wages, living costs or what?

There’s no problem changing Province after PR, makes no difference whatsoever to Citizenship.
No idea about your second question.

From what I seen from other people they all seem happy round the winterpeg area of MB not sure bout other areas

For what it’s worth I reckon MB is the best province to start out in.

Winnipeg is a transport hub and there is an abundance of jobs in all areas, flats, vans, reefers, tanks, bulk etc.

Plenty of them have LMOs too.

flat to the mat:
Have a read of the Daily Mail online , always a morale booster when homesick matey. Yeah I know most of it is bollox but it does re affirm the correct decision was made . Failing that , check the UK Prof Driver section on here and be thankful you left that behind .
Oh can I just mention my latest upper :laughing: '73 Gran Torino , 351 Cleveland with 4sp Hurst , only one ever built to this spec ie color trim options etc . Appeared on the drive yesterday and wife is almost coming to accept it already , :laughing: . Thankfully her mum is staying so she can’t appear to be too angry , perfect timing :wink:

and …she’s gone , now the happy owner of a 62 T Bird and some cash . This summer I’ll mostly be listening to the Beach Boys :smiley: