S. jones of aldridge

What happened to the Company, when/why■■?

I did a few days on containers for them when I was on agency and fairly new to it all. All I remember was that it was an ERF EC(11?) and I was running at 44 tonnes before that was common as I had a certificate to allow me to do so. I took a load of steel on a Logo from their yard at Aldridge up to Sheffield. This would have been - let me see - 2001 or maybe early 2002.

tractordriver:
Hello all.

I have ERF LV - Reg - SRF 223G.
I have been told it was new to S Jones.
can any one confirm this.

I can confirm that it was an S Jones motor! It was a tipper unit from new and was badly damaged after hitting a lorry on the hard shoulder of the M1 in the mid 70s. The cab was a total write off and she stood in the yard for a few months during which time the diff gearbox and engine had been used in other fleet vehicles. The time came for a decision and the insurance said it would have to go back together so she had a new later cab fitted- a recon 180, a diff and a gearbox. She was also converted to a tanker, so she was firescreened and had a cargo pump and hand throttle fitted.

When she left the workshop, she was better than new!

[
[/quote]
I can confirm that it was an S Jones motor! It was a tipper unit from new and was badly damaged after hitting a lorry on the hard shoulder of the M1 in the mid 70s. The cab was a total write off and she stood in the yard for a few months during which time the diff gearbox and engine had been used in other fleet vehicles. The time came for a decision and the insurance said it would have to go back together so she had a new later cab fitted- a recon 180, a diff and a gearbox. She was also converted to a tanker, so she was firescreened and had a cargo pump and hand throttle fitted.

[/quote]
Thank you very nuch for that - cheers

8.JPG

Hiya is that brown back panel in the cab a yesteryear bunk.
John

3300John:
Hiya is that brown back panel in the cab a yesteryear bunk.
John

No its just the panneling - yet to be repaired

cookie1:

tractordriver:
Hello all.

jerry,did you work on repairing it ?

[/quote]

[/quote]
I notice you say she had a 180 fitted?
It has its origanal 150 LXB in it so was it put back in at a later date ■■
after it was sold off it worked as a whey tanker at Gamford Farms in Rosett Wrexham
parked up in 1988 and left to rot

tractordriver:

[/quote]
after it was sold off it worked as a whey tanker at Gamford Farms in Rosett Wrexham
[/quote]
This I have tucked away with the rest in my shed,Remember it well
but can’t think of the dvr I do know we were in AOSTA and woke to this white stuff,
Will try and find some more.You can just see the name on the side maybe 1970s.
GUESTY44

but can’t think of the dvr I do know we were in AOSTA and woke to this white stuff,
GUESTY44
[/quote]
Thanks for that

Guesty44:

tractordriver:

[/quote]
Hiya I found the second pic I took in AOSTA.

GUESTY44
[/quote]

tractordriver:

[/quote]
[/quote]
If it has an LXB engine, then that is a 180 - 150 is an LX

A TVW.

adr:
A TVW.

hi there the picture posted of the tvw is the one that was driven by my granddad joe mason,this lorry was also pictured in the cvc magazine sometime back.

My name is Craig & sadly my dad Bill Westley passed away in October 2013 , he spent a good 30yrs driving with Sammy Jones & I spent many a day skiving off school to travel with him, dad would of been 67 on April 7th & in his memory I have organised with friends a sponsored mountain bike ride from The Watford Gap service station on the M1 back to dads local , The Goat , in Brownhills, this is to take place this Sunday 6th April !
I contacted Road Chef telling them of our plans & they have kindly set out a parking space on the “Blue Boar” in dads memory !
I know dads time at Jones was his favourite time & he made many friends while on their nights outs & I spent many a happy day as a truckers mate !

VillaBill:
0My name is Craig & sadly my dad Bill Westley passed away in October 2013 , he spent a good 30yrs driving with Sammy Jones & I spent many a day skiving off school to travel with him, dad would of been 67 on April 7th & in his memory I have organised with friends a sponsored mountain bike ride from The Watford Gap service station on the M1 back to dads local , The Goat , in Brownhills, this is to take place this Sunday 6th April !
I contacted Road Chef telling them of our plans & they have kindly set out a parking space on the “Blue Boar” in dads memory !
I know dads time at Jones was his favourite time & he made many friends while on their nights outs & I spent many a happy day as a truckers mate !

hello craig !i worked with your dad and had a few nights out with him.smashing bloke .i didnt know he had passed away,sorry !! r i p billy !!

To any S Jones’ drivers who remembers Brian Beard. He is my Dad and it is with great sadness that I have to inform you that he passed away on Thursday night. I know he loved his time at Jones’ and had some great stories to share with us all. He made us laugh so many times with his tales of things that went on. No funeral arrangements have been made yet but if anyone would like to attend let me know and I will post details as soon as I know anything.

cookie1:

tractordriver:
Hello all.

If ever you want to sell the old gal let me know cheers Jona

Jona:

cookie1:

tractordriver:
Hello all.

If ever you want to sell the old gal let me know cheers Jona

Welcome to TruckNet, Jona! I look forward to some of your insights on the ERF threads (to which, of course, you have already made a massive contribution by proxy). Delighted to see you on here. Robert :smiley:

adr:
A TVW.

thats the the lorry my grandad joe mason used to drive back in the day.