S.E London

Hi I’m a new member from S E London, I remember Evan Cooks Queens Road, anyone remember J & H Peckham Hill Street or Bowdens who took over J & H’s yard at Peckham Hill Street very near Manzies pie & mash shop they had Orange and white cabs.
Do you remember E A Helmuth East Dulwich all yellow motors 95% Bedfords ?

Hi All,
Just browsing the old firms,
anyone out there remember any of these?

Evan Cook, the removal / machinery movers of Queens Road Peckham, with what was probably the largest fleet of Commer TS3 / Perkins powered trucks.
Pearmans of Peckham / Camberwell.
Wm Beadle of Harvey Road Camderwell. (Learnt to drive an OB Bedford that me Dad drove for them)
Tower Hill Transport.
Goswell Brothers of Rotherhithe, who could get more sets of (uneven length timber) on a 24ft Scammell couplling artic than you would believe.
Poultneys of Greenwich with their smart fleet of Ergo Marshalls and Mercurys.
I could go on, is there anyone out there from that time or remembers any of the characters, Tommy Tuck, Nobby Tuck, Johnny Waites,

Cheers.

I remember Evan Cook well. Their warehouse was knocked down a few years back, just blocks of flats there now I believe.
A few years prior to this they either merged or were bought out by a company called Constantine (from Scotland I think) these are still going for sure as I saw one of their trucks the other day.

Thanks for the reply, yeah,they were part of the Constantine Shipping Group way back in the 70,s,.

Hi AV760.AEC man,eh! :smiley:
I remember Tower Hill Transport.I think their main depot was in Boston,Lincs.They were one of the first to run the TK Bedford in the early 60’s.Had a bit of a reputation for bad maintainance or excessive hours if I remember correctly but I could be wrong.They were in a green livery and did a lot of market work.

AV760:
Evan Cook, the removal / machinery movers of Queens Road Peckham

we used to load gillette stuff out of there early 90s for russia, and in later years some large large case packed machinery for i can’t remember who - didn’t know the place had gone for posh 'ouses :unamused:

Chris Webb:
I remember Tower Hill Transport.I think their main depot was in Boston,Lincs.They were one of the first to run the TK Bedford in the early 60’s.Had a bit of a reputation for bad maintainance or excessive hours if I remember correctly but I could be wrong.They were in a green livery and did a lot of market work.

I first remember them running S-Type Bedfords.

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

I first remember them running S-Type Bedfords.

:smiley: :smiley: .Aye,Spardo I remember they ran S-type Bedfords.I’ve had one or two lifts with them when thumbing it to Sheffield from Norfolk when I was in the RAF early 60’s.I don’t think any of Tower Hill drivers went past me,always stopped,bless 'em. :sunglasses:

Anyone remember Houston’s around Black Prince Road/Lambeth Walk Gordans Gin to Scotland Whisky back. Leyland marathons, buffalo’s. I had a Guy Big J 6, they got bought out by hiltons, I left shortly after that cos they put me in a van cos I was only 22 and too young to drive HGV!!!

I think I can remember the existance of all the old companies mentioned in this thread. One that stands out is Wm Beadle as this company seems to have been around for ever. I always remember them in dark green livery and very rarely having a load come above their sideboards. I am sure that they ran nearly all rigids. They were I believe taken over by Jesse B Woodcock 'cause I remember seeing a white artic pulling a container displaying both names and I am pretty sure this was not too long ago. Perhaps someone will know of any connection or not.

Wm Bealdle were taken over by HTS as along with houstons Wm Joys and J&H Jess Woodcocks were taken over by cellwoods on the container side and Sucklings on the genrall

does anyone have picturesof hts?

I think I might hve some pics, have to check out the loft.
On the subject of HTS, our old depot used to be in Horn Lane, Greenwich, (WH Poultney) not far from HTS. We used to have a Scammell Pioneer which had a 6LW and power steering grafted into it, anyway, we had many a job dragging an HTS wagon (and sometimes their own Diamond T wrecker with it) out of Blackwall Tunnel up the slope. Oh what fun!! Never got a drink though, got a drawer full of thank you’s.

AV760:
I think I might hve some pics, have to check out the loft.
On the subject of HTS, our old depot used to be in Horn Lane, Greenwich, (WH Poultney) not far from HTS. We used to have a Scammell Pioneer which had a 6LW and power steering grafted into it, anyway, we had many a job dragging an HTS wagon (and sometimes their own Diamond T wrecker with it) out of Blackwall Tunnel up the slope. Oh what fun!! Never got a drink though, got a drawer full of thank you’s.

That must have been a satisfying sight - a Scammell pulling a Diamond T. :laughing:

I knew I’d got a colour picture of a Tower Hill lorry in my collection, :confused: this is a Peter Davies photo, but just look at the roof :laughing: I wonder if the boss man supplied the driver with a tin of Bitumen :wink:

The diamond t was based at the new workshops at lombard wall before it was blue and white it was J&H Peckham blue and orange

lemonmouth:
I knew I’d got a colour picture of a Tower Hill lorry in my collection, :confused: this is a Peter Davies photo, but just look at the roof :laughing: I wonder if the boss man supplied the driver with a tin of Bitumen :wink:

She’s a beauty Lemonmouth,and I’m old enough to remember that Leyland model as well! Like the bullbar.
That’s an air conditioned model,no bitumen supplied. :smiley: and the Ghia had two wipers.

mrken:
Wm Bealdle were taken over by HTS as along with houstons Wm Joys and J&H Jess Woodcocks were taken over by cellwoods on the container side and Sucklings on the genrall

And Jess B Woodcock (Shipping) Ltd was bought by W H Bowker: all the ex-Woodcock trailers kept their old JBW fleet numbers because of the carnets.

I actually own JBW12037 now - a 1971 Pitt widespread tandem tilt, and it’s very straight.

I did alot of traction for j b woodcock back in the early 70s when they were in tollgate road becton.They had scammel routmasters plus other units doing european work.One of there subbies was albert warren who had a few 110 scanias in woodcock coluors dark green with red chassis.Some of the trailers had bars around the wheels with locks on them so if they went unaccompanied they would,nt get the wheels nicked.When they finished european work they just did containers for ACE,They had quite a few bedford tm,s in v6 and v8 form then sed acks.

Chris Webb:
She’s a beauty Lemonmouth,and I’m old enough to remember that Leyland model as well! Like the bullbar.
That’s an air conditioned model,no bitumen supplied. and the Ghia had two wipers.

The old Otto. Just look at all the bling on the front, and I see she’s loaded, roped and sheeted and all ready to go. :laughing:
BTW, that is the Ghia, Chris - someone’s knicked the other wiper. :open_mouth: :laughing:
Do you recall what a God send those great big quarterlights were on a hot summer’s day? They could be turned right back on themselves to give a nice cool airflow, but you had to keep your gob shut because of the bees and stuff that were scooped in too. :wink: :laughing: