Russian Roulette

Yeah it surr was an intresting run eh? But thinking of it that was the same place as the swedish guy who was in the article i posted some page back. But that far in those old trucks :open_mouth: :smiley:

Danne

Dirty Dan:
Yeah it surr was an intresting run eh? But thinking of it that was the same place as the swedish guy who was in the article i posted some page back. But that far in those old trucks :open_mouth: :smiley:

Danne

I know Danne. When you think that back in the 70s and 80s we used to run down to the
Middle East in Scania 111s and the like.
No A/C, just sweating your guts out.
I remember being in the National Hotel, in Belgrade in the summer of 75. A truck pulled in on the way back from Baghdad.
It was an AEC Mandator. Non sleeper. In it were two guys from London. How they had managed to get all the way
to Iraq and back in that motor beat me. One of the blokes was enormous.

Then, running to Russia in my Daf. It was a 350. I was talking to the dealers who sold it to me.
They said that nowadays drivers would not go that far in such a small engined motor.
I said “Why not”. There were no hills where you would need lots of power.
Once you passed Hannover, the whole of the trip was virtually flat.
There were no serious climbs to have to make.
And, of course, we did not have sat nav’. You had to know where you were going.

The drivers of the 60s & 70s were used to mandators etc, I drove a MAN 232 tip cab to check oil and water, no hydraulic cab,all your gear out every morning to make it tip, my friend Allan Barber of allan and Frank Barber fame picked up a 1965 Atkinson borderer from a scrap yard, we stated it with ether, no sleeper no heater we arranged to meet at Ostend I asked him if he had serviced it no he said I was too busy fitting a second diesel tank, he did 3 Baghdads and 2 Tehrans with that motor. Unforunatley if anyone remembers that trip I was locked up in Viransehir for 4 months, happy days

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

I know Danne. When you think that back in the 70s and 80s we used to run down to the
I remember being in the National Hotel, in Belgrade in the summer of 75. A truck pulled in on the way back from Baghdad.
It was an AEC Mandator. Non sleeper. In it were two guys from London. How they had managed to get all the way

Then, running to Russia in my Daf. It was a 350. I was talking to the dealers who sold it to me.
They said that nowadays drivers would not go that far in such a small engined motor.

sorry for the spelling mistakes it should be started it, eyes not so good,
and yes it is GLP (greedy little pig) writing this.

chris brearley:
The drivers of the 60s & 70s were used to mandators etc, I drove a MAN 232 tip cab to check oil and water, no hydraulic cab,all your gear out every morning to make it tip, my friend Allan Barber of allan and Frank Barber fame picked up a 1965 Atkinson borderer from a scrap yard, we stated it with ether, no sleeper no heater we arranged to meet at Ostend I asked him if he had serviced it no he said I was too busy fitting a second diesel tank, he did 3 Baghdads and 2 Tehrans with that motor. Unforunatley if anyone remembers that trip I was locked up in Viransehir for 4 months, happy days

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

chris brearley:
sorry for the spelling mistakes it should be started it, eyes not so good,
and yes it is GLP (greedy little pig) writing this.

chris brearley:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Hi Chris. Yes. I remember hearing about your little escapade.

That was the thing back then. We did not have all of the fancy gear that they have nowadays.
You drove what you had and got on with the job. No bloody micro-waves for us. Not that I would have used one anyway.
Manual crash gearboxes for a start. Changing gear and playing a tune on the gearbox until you sorted out the right timing for double de-clutching.
Building up arm muscles like Popeye’s, due to pulling on the wheel because you had no power steering.
The old ratchet handbrake.

Happy days !

I still drive a crash box… the cabs bolted directly to the chassis with big bolts through a 2 inch rubber block… still on a log book ( or 2 ) and it could be said that you wouldn’t suffocate in a Kenworth either… Get on with your new book I need something to read Mick… I tried a microwave in the cab but it blew the fuse and you can’t wind both windows down at the sane time cause it’ll burn out the wiring loom… it’s only 3 years old but it’s done 1.2 million… still thumps out just over 700 horse so I’m not complaining…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
I still drive a crash box… the cabs bolted directly to the chassis with big bolts through a 2 inch rubber block… still on a log book ( or 2 ) and it could be said that you wouldn’t suffocate in a Kenworth either… Get on with your new book I need something to read Mick… I tried a microwave in the cab but it blew the fuse and you can’t wind both windows down at the sane time cause it’ll burn out the wiring loom… it’s only 3 years old but it’s done 1.2 million… still thumps out just over 700 horse so I’m not complaining…

Jeff…

Hello Jeff! I’ll bet a pound to a pinch of Bactrian camel ■■■ that you still drive with a constant-mesh 'box and not a ‘crash’ one! Call me a pedantic old git! lol. :sunglasses: Robert

Hi uncle Robert… that thing would go “crash” in the blink of an eye if you don’t keep on top of it all day ( or night ) I still manage just over 1100 k’s a day @ 65 tons each way 6 days a week… not bad retirement plan really!..

My be Dan could put up a photo of it if he’s got some time…( sorry to impose Dan ) :smiley:

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Hi uncle Robert… that thing would go “crash” in the blink of an eye if you don’t keep on top of it all day ( or night ) I still manage just over 1100 k’s a day @ 65 tons each way 6 days a week… not bad retirement plan really!..

My be Dan could put up a photo of it if he’s got some time…( sorry to impose Dan ) :smiley:

Jeff…

Don’t worry Jeff, I’m only envious! Given half a chance I’d jump into one this morning and drive it all day :sunglasses: . Robert :laughing:

Just to let everyone know that the paperback version of Trucking Magic should be available on Amazon next week between Tuesday 22nd and Thursday 24th August. I am working on the Kindle version right now

Mick

Jelliot:

Jeff…

Sure Jeff,what pic would you like me to put up? :smiley:

Danne

k1 b double please dan

jeff…

sent from my old flip phone somewhere up the hume highway on a dark wet night when i should be at home not heading north to queensland…
don’t neve know ifthisll work.

Hi everybody. Just to let you all know that “Trucking Magic”, is now available on Amazon.
They have both the paperback and the Kindle versions on their site.
If you buy either version, then I really do hope that you enjoy reading them. :smiley:

Mick

A swift reminder of what I looked like back in the day,
when I drove for Pro-Motor and made my first trip to Moscow, in 1981.
God, how I loved those shades. They were cool :sunglasses:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

A swift reminder of what I looked like back in the day,
when I drove for Pro-Motor and made my first trip to Moscow, in 1981.
God, how I loved those shades. They were cool :sunglasses:

Never would have thought that you were that bloke from The Verve, Richard Ashcroft :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Stumbled upon the following…

15400524_10211194959887290_3427545549940616938_n.jpg

You might recognise this unit…? :blush: :blush:

pv83:
You might recognise this unit…? :blush: :blush:

Hi Patrick. Another interesting collection of photo’s that you have put on there. Yes I did recognise the last one. :smiley:

Just out of interest, I will be at the Truckfest, at Paddock Wood Hop Farm on the Saturday and Sunday 2nd and 3rd September.
Andy McLean, author of Fifty Shades of Tarmac and myself will have a pitch there and copies of our books.
Anyone going to the event, come along and say “Hello”. We will be glad to see you and have a chat. :smiley:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Just out of interest, I will be at the Truckfest, at Paddock Wood Hop Farm on the Saturday and Sunday 2nd and 3rd September.
Andy McLean, author of Fifty Shades of Tarmac and myself will have a pitch there and copies of our books.
Anyone going to the event, come along and say “Hello”. We will be glad to see you and have a chat. :smiley:

I will try to get along at sometime that weekend. Robert