Running commentary of my quest to become an LGV driver

Getting Grants for the training.
Two trainers (Wallace and Bains) advised I contact the DWP since I’m on Job seekers allowance to see if they still offered grants to people. I did, and they don’t. The DWP advised I contact the Borough because sometimes they did offer, but mainly for College courses. They also suggested family, obviously. However, because I owe family members quite a bit anyways, I’m reluctant in seeking the money from them because they might site my previous ‘pay-back failures’ :slight_smile:. I’d prefer to seek it elsewhere, but if I can’t, I’ll just have to bite the bullet and enforce my NEED to pay after getting a job.
Anyway, not contacted the Council yet, but I’ve checked their websites and seen quite a few (secondary organisations), but not contacted any or reviewed any fully.

I did, and they don’t. No show there because they are more inclined to assist college education and younger people. Family it is then, and I’ve succeeded into getting my mother and brother to help out.

Looks like i had a bit more luck than you. Lot depends on the adviser you have at the jobcentre. Mine sumitted request to her manager. He sent it on somewhere else at the district level. Two months later had a broker phone me to make arangements for the class 2 training. Might be worth persisting with them. I expect you would need to have been out of work for at least 6 months before they would consider it.

Good luck with your training. Good post as well. Keep it up. :smiley:

Jim50:
Looks like i had a bit more luck than you. Lot depends on the adviser you have at the jobcentre. Mine sumitted request to her manager. He sent it on somewhere else at the district level. Two months later had a broker phone me to make arangements for the class 2 training. Might be worth persisting with them. I expect you would need to have been out of work for at least 6 months before they would consider it.

Good luck with your training. Good post as well. Keep it up. :smiley:

That was good for you. That’s the information I had, out of work for 6 months and that would be a plus to get funding. But “Nope” came the reply when I met them at Job centre.

Done the training now anyways. …and thanks :slight_smile:.

Each jobcentreplus has their own rules etc for certain training grants and that is usually dependant on what they deem necessary for their area as well as Govt funding for it

ROG:
Each jobcentreplus has their own rules etc for certain training grants and that is usually dependant on what they deem necessary for their area as well as Govt funding for it

I would accept that that is true as priorities vary. :exclamation:

Taking the Case study test
I will be taking the Case study test on 11/09/2017 (taken it now). I’ve searched the web and only found two examples of questions, as it seems and what is being said, DVLA has never disclosed questions. However, the one example displays that whatever learnt from the official training books (the guide and theory test) are put into a scenario and questions are asked.

After scouring the web and reading what people are saying about the test and results it seems a bit daunting a prospect to pass. About 80% of responses say they have failed it more than once. The number of questions are 50 and the pass mark is 40, those approx. 80% mentioned that they got between 33 and 39 for the ones they failed, 39 being the magic figure (that ramped up more %). However, they were quite a few that did say that they passed and that they didn’t see the big deal in the questions as it was what was learnt for the Theory test. That was reassuring, but not so on the other hand when many of those that failed the test and cursed the questions as unnecessarily worded to make people fail also mentioned that they cleared the HP and MC with flying colours (like 88 and 97 respectively). …you guys know what I got from the previous posts.

Anyway, I passed the Driver CPC case study (hurray :slight_smile: )! I got a score of 47 out of a possible 50. And for those that failed it, once or twice or four times, not to sound disrespectful or cocky, buy WHAT? HOW? I mean, it was just everything we learnt for the Theory, but put into a string of sentences, then questions on those sentences. Sometimes questions not even related to the sentences, like “What should the colours marked behind lorries over 7.5T be” (or something to those effects). We all know they are red and yellow stripes.

Let me try and see if I can give some questions (those I remember, but no answers, as you can see I failed three. I’d want you to pass them all, so research time for you to ensure that). I sure as hell cannot remember the whole Case Study itself, however, some questions are:

A truck delivering processed meat and carcases around Europe.

1. What specific document is required for deliveries in France? (something to that effect).
    a. Service records
    b. Contract of employment
    c. Vehicle registration document
    d. Refrigerator operator’s manual

Another CS had a truck driving on a 3-lane dual carriage way in the rain when a sheet covering the goods became loose but other cars were not damaged.

1. What should the driver do?
    a. Stop immediately
    b. Continue on and fix it as his next stop
    c. Continue on, but inform his base (or something like that, can’t remember)
    d. Stop in the next safe place.

In another, they talk about starting at 4.00am, does a walk round bla! bla!! bla!!! - Now this question is a killer, I had to summon all my deductive senses to answer this one, but I failed it anyways :smiley: .

1. What is the process of checking that the cab door is closed before driving off? (something like that).
    a. Fleet drill
    b. Cockpit drill
    c. Circle check
    d. Document check

Another, a driver was driving for many hours, in her daily rest period she wanted an alcoholic drive and also wanted to buy pain killers.

1. How long can alcohol remain in your system?
    a. 0 – 6 hours
    b. 6 – 12 hours
    c. 24 – 48 hours
    d. 48 – 60 hours

2. Something about the drugs affecting her and how she could prevent that.
    a. Reading the Directions of use
    b. Talking to a friend.
    Can’t remember the other options.

3. The woman was delivering stuff, then will collect stuff to come back. What is the document that she will always have? Four possible answers (I can’t remember them, but CMR was included).
    There was another question on CMR (documents a driver MUST have during a delivery) as well, can’t remember the question though, sorry.

Another. A driver was planning on having a rest in a lay-by, as he got out of his cab he smelt fuel. On investigation he found that his vehicle was leaking fuel, what tachograph mode will he select AFTER dealing with the fuel leak? (Guys, the word AFTER is the key).
a. Driving time
b. Other work
c. Rest period
d. Period of availability

Another was on how to carry loads (by hand) safely. It asks you to click on the best image. I must warn you, though, this is a bit confusing. You have four ‘human-like’ images, but they seem to be two scenarios (like from one awkward stance to the better stance), nope. Its four images, so treat them separately and click on the image with the better stance (upright and looking forward :wink: ).

Many questions from other case studies aimed at fuel economy with wind deflectors, safety by allowing fresh air circulating the cabin at all times. This was on a scenario during a winter day. So distance in icy conditions came up.
One was on engaging the diff-lock to prevent the wheels skidding in a construction site, then on hosing down the wheels to prevent mud coming onto the motor way.

That’s about what I can remember, but I hope it will give those about to take the Driver CPC confidence that it can be easily passed, that is if you passed your Theory test. Believe it to be an extended Theory test, and you’ll ace it! Good Luck!!!

Think i got 47 as well. As you say pretty easy as there is a lot of overlap between theory and cpc theory. But they do seem to throw in some awkard ones which probably explains why some people fail it. I went into the ordinary theory pretty relaxed as i knew it was going to be an easy pass. But i’d be lying if i said i wasn’t doubting myself with the cpc theory. Imagine you sit down and the first question that comes out is something obscure that you can’t make up your mind about maybe because you didn’t think a question like that would come up. This can throw you and you panic and end up failing the test.

Plus of course no preparation other than reading the book as you can’t just read through the 1000 odd questions and answers like the other test.

I had a couple of questions on which tacho mode I should use.

And yeah I honestly don’t know how anyone fails it. If you know the contents of the two official books then it should be a walk in the park.

I was finished well within the time allowed.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jim50:
Think i got 47 as well. As you say pretty easy as there is a lot of overlap between theory and cpc theory. But they do seem to throw in some awkard ones which probably explains why some people fail it. I went into the ordinary theory pretty relaxed as i knew it was going to be an easy pass. But i’d be lying if i said i wasn’t doubting myself with the cpc theory. Imagine you sit down and the first question that comes out is something obscure that you can’t make up your mind about maybe because you didn’t think a question like that would come up. This can throw you and you panic and end up failing the test.

Plus of course no preparation other than reading the book as you can’t just read through the 1000 odd questions and answers like the other test.

Oh question 1 threw me, but I marked it and left it then went on to question 2. That and others were fine. I marked about 8 questions (though answered them) of the 50, then went back to check and change the answers if I thought another was more suited.

Two months later had a broker phone me to make arangements for the class 2 training

With luck this practice will end soon. DWP have realised that the brokers ARE brokers and not trainers. As it’s against the rules in the contract to sub-contract the work, the brokers are acting in breach of the contract.

I’m perfectly happy for anyone who gets DWP funding and we carry out a fair amount for DWP. But, as a taxpayer, I’m not at all happy to be keeping the brokers in business with public funds.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Crazy thing is i gave them the details of four trainers inlcuding yours Pete. Even mentioned about free accommodation, and at the time you were offering free cpc training and test. Then i ended up getting a phone cal from a broker! I expressed my concern with the jobcentre but thay said that’s how the DWP do things. I’m wondering if they do it because they don’t trust us to make the arrangements ourselves and this way they know there is someone making sure it is all organised. I’m sure your right it must add to the cost as to how much i don’t know.

Not something you would want to do if your paying for it yourself but i suppose in cases like mine it doesn’t make a lot of difference although i would have preferred to have more control/say in the process. I’m still on edge wondering if i’ll get a phone call closer to the time telling me it’s been cancelled, etc. It looks like some trainers are working alongside brokers. I suppose if a broker contacted you Pete on behalf of someone who didn’t know any different and was paying for their services out of their own pocket even if you wanted to you probably wouldn’t want to tell the person you are being stiffed. Best you could do is tell them not to make the mistake with class 1.

Suppose it’s easy if anyone has been on here. You know not to use brokers. But how many potential truck dirvers don’t know any different and have never found this site. Shame the trade magazines don’t make it clear in there. Who is going to go through LGV training without flicking through a few magazines first. Wouldn’t be suprised if you look at the adverts in those magazines they are probably promoting the brokers.

Peter Smythe:

Two months later had a broker phone me to make arangements for the class 2 training

With luck this practice will end soon. DWP have realised that the brokers ARE brokers and not trainers. As it’s against the rules in the contract to sub-contract the work, the brokers are acting in breach of the contract.

I’m perfectly happy for anyone who gets DWP funding and we carry out a fair amount for DWP. But, as a taxpayer, I’m not at all happy to be keeping the brokers in business with public funds.

But then the DWP MUST know that the Brokers are not trainers, yet they provide funds to them. My take is on the end-user (in this case “us”) getting the funds, and the funds not been diverted (obviously breaking the law). With less funds for “us” to train as Lorry drivers (if something were to ruffle feathers for the brokers, then the DWP might actually divert the funds to supposed “better” use), Peter Smythe and other trainers might not just be getting as much work as they would like.

The practical training.
I have called up Bains Driving school (bainsdrivingschool.co.uk/) and booked to start the training on the 12/09/2017 (done it now). I’m wishing myself good luck :slight_smile: .
Ah, disregard the “Finance available” on their website, they don’t offer any.

First day was good, not difficult, but size awareness is key. The instructor, Ajid (or Peter as he was “baptised” many years ago by someone who kept on forgetting his name), is awesome. An old soft-spoken man who definitely knows his stuff and is well friendly.
It is going really well, test on Saturday (16/09/2017). The driving is only different from normal car driving due to the vehicles size (as I mentioned earlier), and positioning. Once you get the knack of that and going around corners, its fine.

However, my only annoyance, is the bouncy driver’s seat. The ■■■■ seat has shock absorbers and sometimes it bounces you up and down (obviously when you hit bumps on the road). As a car and motorcycle driver, I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH MOVEMENT before, in a seat. WOW! You don’t get used to it in the 1st 2nd or 3rd day, that I can say (well for me having driven only 3 days), but you’ll have to deal with it. Those old timers (as in driving years, not age :stuck_out_tongue: ) will tell us if they are used to it by now. Anyway, it’s all good, I’m enjoying it.

Did I mention how wide it is? Yep! That is the main thing, gapping parked cars well in advance before getting to them. You would think that you are fine, nope you are not. The instructor says, “Go right, go right”, I’m going a bit right but thinking in my head, “I’m well away from the car”, nope not ‘Well’, only ‘Just’. It’s much better now.

On the first day, I hit the kerb :blush: thinking I would be able to go through a space with another truck (with trailer) on a small road. Well, I could and did, but at the last second, I moved slightly to the left, as I thought my wing mirror would hit his, I brushed the kerb. Slowly next time, slowly ( :laughing: :laughing:!!!).

Ask your instructor to show you how to lock the seat if it bothers you. But they are brilliant as they take the shock out of your back. IME, it took about an hour to get used to one around 45 years ago.

Peter Smythe:
Ask your instructor to show you how to lock the seat if it bothers you. But they are brilliant as they take the shock out of your back. IME, it took about an hour to get used to one around 45 years ago.

Ah thanks. I thought it could be locked, but it would be best if it could be firmed up, but not locked.

Driver CPC Module 4 (Demonstration)
I had the test today (14/09/2017) and I passed it YEY!!! Bains Driving school have an in-house Examiner. My instructor went through the rigors of the demonstration before I was examined – my score was 95 out of a possible 100, anything below 80 is a fail, or is it 85…

Some questions asked;

1. Show me how you would carry out a walk-around check?
  2. Where would you leave the vehicle at night, and how would you ensure that it is safe?
  3. You stopped at a rest stop before boarding a ferry, what precautions do you need to take to ensure you do not carry illegal immigrants and drug onto the ferry (more checks).

“Show me” and “Tell me” type questions.

I was also taught how to use the restraints (chain and tensioners), but no demonstration was on that from the Examiner, though from my Instructor.

I am confused by the dates, everything seems to be way in the past? Haha.

JakeWS:

Time traveler maybe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

anything below 80 is a fail, or is it 85…

5 sections. 15 out of 20 in each section with an overall of 80 out of 100.

I was also taught how to use the restraints (chain and tensioners), but no demonstration was on that from the Examiner, though from my Instructor.

Your instructor did right. The majority of Mod 4 tests include practical restraint demonstration. But some don’t.

JakeWS:

Hahahahahaha! I actually typed things up as I was doing them, then whenever I have time I put up information.