Route to Greece

Also the time of year you plan to travel maybe you should buy a set of snow tyres .Costco now can get these tyres in a few days.

printed on green paper only. yeh right john

Oh you asked your friends and then you went on google, ■■■■■■ i drove to Sofia a couple of years ago and it was,nt that hard in fact as this is not a trade site i,d say it was for me like a walk in the park . my costs round trip with freight ferries and net of vat was around £700.00. if you plus another £100 or£ 200 should cover you. enjoy your trip and take your camera.

toothpick johnny:
Oh you asked your friends and then you went on google, ■■■■■■ .

It’s just not necessary, is it?

:unamused:

OK, thanks very much everyone! I’ll put some more thought into this. Maybe I should try hypnotism for seasickness! Tried everything else…DonB

orys:
but this map is old as from this year some new countries joined the system, among others Russia.

That map looks to me like it was never right, one national identifier that never existed (except in the country in question, and what use is that?), also another country that hasn’t existed for quite a while…

As for Britain, Britain is just a strange country…

Rule Polski, Polski rules the…swede soup?

…if I am wrong somewhere, please correct me.

See above, probably more mistakes but I’m bored…

DonB, if you must go down to Greece overland (which no matter which route you take, will provide some great scenery and places to stop along the way), do it in the Spring not the winter. And unless war breaks out, whichever route you take is as safe as driving elsewhere in Europe, just prettier. If you go by ferry, the big Minoans and Superfast are smooth except in the roughest of Adriatic squals.

Scotchbaz:
That map looks to me like it was never right, one national identifier that never existed (except in the country in question, and what use is that?), also another country that hasn’t existed for quite a while…

Could you explain which one you mean? (except Serbia and Montegero, which split after that map was created)?

Rule Polski, Polski rules the…swede soup?

Many things in Britain are different than in the rest of Europe. This is a fact - from driving on the left, through imperial unit system, law system to separate taps in the bathroom. That’s apply also to different car insurance rules. So no need for nationality attack.

DonB, if you must go down to Greece overland (which no matter which route you take, will provide some great scenery and places to stop along the way), do it in the Spring not the winter.

This is really good advice. March in this area is like may in France - really pleasing time!

orys:

You say in your post that “Britain is just a strange country”, Orys. Could you explain to me why you feel that way about my country?

I,m sure that you will be able to explain it to me by putting me right on these few points.

How many other EU Member countries pay Family Allowance to immigrants from other EU Countries, whose families live back in their Home country. (Poland for instance). Then allow them to send it back to that country, to their family, in Poland or where-ever, who have no intention of ever setting foot in this “Strange Country”.?

How many other EU member countries give free University education to “students” from other EU Member Countries. You are Polish. Do you pay University fees at whichever University you study in Scotland?

How many of the EU Member countries whose people benefit from what this “Strange Country” Britain ,is prepared to give for free, would return the compliment to a British subject, going to work or study in ,for instance,your home country?

You often denigrate this “strange country”, in your many posts on TNUK. What is it, apart from its generosity to people like yourself, which persuades you to stay here? We "strange " people must have some good points. Please enlighten us.

Sorry Harry and Simon , i wondered why my screen had cracked. i,ll be making a pubic apology soon.

Buycrider:

orys:

You say in your post that “Britain is just a strange country”, Orys. Could you explain to me why you feel that way about my country?

Yes, off course. I already did. It’s just a short way to tell “country where many things are different than in the rest of the world”:

orys:
Many things in Britain are different than in the rest of Europe. This is a fact - from driving on the left, through imperial unit system, law system to separate taps in the bathroom. That’s apply also to different car insurance rules. So no need for nationality attack.

How many other EU Member countries pay Family Allowance to immigrants from other EU Countries, whose families live back in their Home country. (Poland for instance). Then allow them to send it back to that country, to their family, in Poland or where-ever, who have no intention of ever setting foot in this “Strange Country”.?

All of them. This is an European law, not a British law. The rule is that you can take your benefit in one country only, and it’s country of your choice. Off course Polish people chose Britain, as benefit it’s bigger, but I can’t see a problem: if someone is working in Britain and is paying taxes in Britain and is said that as an EC member has the same rights as any other worker, why should he be banned from taking benefit for his kid? How it’s matter where the kid lives? I know a Scottish chap, his kids are leaving with his ex-wife in Italy and he still get the benefit for them. Why should he not? He’s working in Scotland, he has kids - both conditions are fullfilled.

How many other EU member countries give free University education to “students” from other EU Member Countries. You are Polish. Do you pay University fees at whichever University you study in Scotland?

I can’t tell you exact number, but I am sure that all EU member countries are giving University education to students from other EU member countries at the same rules as to it’s own citizens. So in Poland everyone can study for free (as long as it’s some EU citizen who speaks good Polish, off course :stuck_out_tongue:)

My fees for my education are paid by SAAS - on the same rules as to every Scottis or other EU member student. Unlike local citizen I recieve no other financial help such as bursary, living costs etc.

How many of the EU Member countries whose people benefit from what this “Strange Country” Britain ,is prepared to give for free, would return the compliment to a British subject, going to work or study in ,for instance,your home country?

You asking if my country would welcome British students? Off course, the EU rules work both ways.

Moreover, there is so big demand that Medical University in my native town opened a fac, where future doctors are taught in English. There are tutition fees, but it’s apply also to Polish students ( I don’t want to get into complicated polish law relating to studies and universities). And yet, it’s much cheaper to study there than in Britain, the living costs are much lower as well and it’s said that on many fields polish medical unis are better then British ones. So yes, last time I heard about this there was about 200 British and Irish students at this one fac on this one university only.

Off course, you have to remember, that there will be always more foreign students in British universities than otherwise. That’s becouse English is a new Lingua Franca, and nowadays it’s obvious that modern, educated person should be able to communicate in English. And knowledge of foreign languages among Brits is very low compared to European average, so don’t blame me, that British students do not go study abroad as often as many students from other EU countries do.

You often denigrate this “strange country”, in your many posts on TNUK. What is it, apart from its generosity to people like yourself, which persuades you to stay here? We "strange " people must have some good points. Please enlighten us.

For your information: I paid much more into the jar in my taxes paid from my hard work here then I received (and, propably, then I will ever receive). It’s very doubtful that I will spend my retirement here, so propably I will claim my retirement from another country.

Most Poles here are in their 20-40, working people, healthly and fit. You can’t see much Polish disabled people or retired persons. I will not give you exact numbers, but just think:
Among every 100 British persons there is, say, 20 retired, 3 disabled, 5 unemployed and 20 under age. That’s gives you 52 working and still some of them can claim some benefits.
Among every 100 Poles in UK there will be 90 working, 5 unemployed and 5 kids. So in my example 90% of them is paying taxes.

Now let’s see this working ones: of 52 working Brits aboput 30% is taking some benefits (now these are real numbers, i quoted them some time ago, but I won’t look for them now). Of 90 Poles 7% is taking some benefits.

So among our sample 100, there is about 15 working Brits taking benefits and 6 working Poles taking benefits.

It’s clear from there that average Pole is putting much more to the jar than average Brit.

So myth about “Poles milking our social system” is busted :slight_smile:

Now, answering your personal question: British “generosity” is in any way a reason for me to be here. Especially in this form I experienced, when after 23 months of paying taxes and national insurance I had a car accident caused by British driver and my British employer take his chance and “forgot” to pay me over 1000 pounds. I was too injured to work, so I asked for some help, and I was refused any form of help, including RETURNABLE crisis loan. That was very generous, thank you :slight_smile: I can bet that if you would be in similar situation in Poland you would not be left without any help.

I came here to improve my English, to see beautifull Scotland, to sort out my personal problems (I just needed a new start in my live) to avoid military service, which was, until recently, mandatory in Poland and I am a pacifist, and after I lived here for some time, i noticed how wide opportunities I have here (and by that I do not mean claiming benefits, siting on the coach with can of Tennents lager and watching Celtic vs Rangers game on TV).

Yes, I do recieve help for my studies, but if it’s my right to get it I would have to be stupid to refuse. Still, if not, I would be able to earn this 1900 per year more to pay my tutition fees.

I learned a lot about your society (and TruckNet is a great place to see what just common folks thinks, as at the Uni people are too political correct and in everyday life not much people are brave enaugh to say what they think face to face) and from my experience its very friendly and welcoming. Therefore, as people like you from my experience are minority but our discussion still can be very educating, I am sure that I will stay here for another couple of years. After that I would like to live in some other EU countries - as I like to learn and I would want to get as much as possible before I will have to settle due to my family needs. I do not feel as an emigrant or immigrant - I just consider myself as a citizen of United Europe, no matter how silly it can sound for you.

And last but not least: Yes, I do think that Britain is a strange country. But by that I do not mean nothing offending, so you don’t have to worry. I’ll try to show that on antother example: You drive on left - OK, i do not try to tell that it worse or better, it’s just strange for me as I am used (like the most drivers on the world) to drive on the right.

So yes, driving on left is a strange feeling for me (altough I am now used to that) but by that I do not try to tell that it’s in any way worse or stupid. And you should understand my words about “Strange Britain” exactly the same way.

I hope I answered fully to all your questions, but off course you can feel free to ask more.

Now please let me ask the question:
Many people on this forum mentioned that Britain is a strange place. Some of them are even describing Britain as a dump, sewage tank and using much worse words to describe Britain. Why then you picked me, not them? These worlds by any way can be understanding as neutral or positive description, yet you seem to have issue with foreigner who thinks that different country is different, and therefore strange for someone used to his own?

Back to Greece then :unamused:

Just to let you know Don, I got talking to a Brit courier, who was sitting next to me in traffic in England, He had a LHD sprinter with a bunk behind the seats, so i says “do you go abroad in that” and he says “yeah, going to ATHENS” So i asked if he was going ancona/patra, and he replied "nah, commie bloc all the way, much quicker. Also he had high value goods on board.

Thanks for your response to my questions Orys.
I submitted my post because I am not prepared ,( either via the medium of the internet,or in a face to face situation), to sit back and allow my Country to be classed as “strange”, without asking why anyone should feel that way about us.We have a long history of offering Sanctuary to the oppressed of many Nations.In your particular case, it seems that we are doing exactly that, due to your not wishing to be a member of your Country,s Conscripted Armed Forces, and other undisclosed “personal problems”. You are quite safe here Orys. Anything goes in Downthepanland.
I was pleased to see that you saw fit to inject a little humour into your response. Your comment about the Can of Tennants, and the Rangers v Celtic love-fests, was excellent. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
You also gave me reason to feel quite proud of myself. For which I am grateful.The figures which you provided in order to back up your “We Poles are nett contributors to the UK economy”, were well researched, and I accept them.I do not think that I made any inference in my post , which in any way suggested otherwise.( I was not having a go at Polish immigrants in general,I was having a go at you alone Orys) :wink: :wink: . If you feel that I did, then I apologise to your fellow countrymen and women. No slight was intended.
From my personal point of view, and being one of that group, of 20%, which your response identifies as “Retired”. I am however still a Taxpayer.I paid £2378.38p out of my Gross Retirement income of £21540,-( which I get fron Personal and State pension Income, following 50 years, and 4 months work. The final 30 being as an HGV Driver)-. in the 2007/2008 tax year. I do not claim the Free Bus Pass, to which I am entitled;My view being that there are far more young people who need help of that kind.So, I can justifiably claim, along with those 83 in every 100 of your fellow countrymen and women, who are nett contributors to the British Economy, according to your figures;That I too, do my bit to help the Chancer at the Exchequer with his liquidity problem.
Well that,s it from me Orys, I have a garden to cultivate, unlike your good self who seems to have bags of time to pound that keyboard. Good Luck with your studies. from one of “the common folk” :frowning: :frowning:. As usual of course You will have to have the Last Word.Over and Out :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My apologies also to those wishing to get on with the “Route to Greece”, thread. My preferred route was Ancona to Patras, then on the Rio Ferry, and up over that bloody great hill via the E951/E952 to Lamia, and beyond. Sorry about the diversion via Orys boys,n girls.

Buycrider:
In your particular case, it seems that we are doing exactly that, due to your not wishing to be a member of your Country,s Conscripted Armed Forces, and other undisclosed “personal problems”

It’s nothing of what you can mean - I am not wanted or whatever - it was just a “woman thing” :slight_smile: She dumped me, so I wanted to change my environment. :slight_smile: And as for the army, there are many other ways to avoid the service without leaving Poland, but I just do not wanted to fight in the courts etc. if I could just move abroad. But still there wasn’t main reasons :slight_smile:

The figures which you provided in order to back up your “We Poles are nett contributors to the UK economy”, were well researched, and I accept them

But please note that when I remember excact numbers for Poles and Brits claiming benefits, the numbers for number of retired etc. was simply my own estimate.

I do not think that I made any inference in my post , which in any way suggested otherwise.( I was not having a go at Polish immigrants in general,I was having a go at you alone Orys) :wink: :wink: . If you feel that I did, then I apologise to your fellow countrymen and women. No slight was intended.

No problem. You have full right to ask as you experiencing a huge influx of this strange people from strange countries :smiley:

Well that,s it from me Orys, I have a garden to cultivate, unlike your good self who seems to have bags of time to pound that keyboard

Yeah, I do work on the PC and I can’t focus too long on my job, so I always jump here and there over the net :slight_smile:

Good Luck with your studies. from one of “the common folk” :frowning: :frowning:

I hope it wasn’t offending in any way. I just meant “normal people” - as opposite to this ‘posh’ people at the uni, who are posing for something else. If that was bad description for you, please take my apologies.

As usual of course You will have to have the Last Word

Hehe :slight_smile: Just wanted to clarify, explain and apology :slight_smile:

Buycrider:

orys:

I,m sure that you will be able to explain it to me by putting me right on these few points.

Harry Monk:

Luckily, this time it won’t be a long one :slight_smile: