roping and sheeting

paul b has beat me to this, but I made the same point on the “other thread” along with newmercman.

Using straps on rope hooks will only serve to snap them or straighten them, the shape of the claw itself is not designed for a rope hook, they are designed to hook onto chassis rails or side raves / gun whales.

For the same reason you would not hang a welded chain link to a rope hook because it simply straightens them. If you are securing a load with chains, then you can use grab hooks, shackles or eye bolts,

5 tonne swl

500kg swl

claw hooks can split when pulling across the welded section.

The reason best left till last is why ropes are better than ratchet straps is the simple fact that it isn’t the rope that holds the load on, neither is it the strap. The tarpaulin holds the load, the ropes are there to hold the sheet on the truck, stop it flapping and keeping it weatherproof.

There are much better men than I at roping and sheeting and I probably could not even climb on a trailer nowadays, but for 50 years it was the best way of fastening a load of dry bags or glass bottles onto a trailer, the problem now is that life is moving too fast and no-one wants to pay for those skills taught by those older men. They would sooner pay for the mayhem to clear the roads up when yet another lorry sheds its load through the side of lightweight PVC curtains.

I imagine it is probably still as quick to sheet a full load of loose packed fertiliser on a flat trailer than it is to strap 26 big bags into a curtainsider and then buckle it up :laughing:

(especially when H&S are involved and you are not allowed within 500 yards of a moving forklift truck or you have to park between inflatable bouncy castles)

roadtransport.com/blogs/big- … 1.html?utm

Big Lorry Blog has been busy again! :wink: