roping and sheeting

Jakdaw:
The lads done a good job. The fly sheet hasnt been roped over, what you can see is the stitching down to the eyelet. :sunglasses:

Apologise you are spot on jakdaw.
regards dave.

Reinforcing stitching between eyelets? Now I NOW you Northern chaps were spoilt!

It may well have been a bottle sheet,the sheet appears to have rope running through the sheet and over to the other side,I remember bottle sheets very well,loading bottles out of St Helens for Scotland,very heavy,especially when wet.

David

dafdave:

Jakdaw:
The lads done a good job. The fly sheet hasnt been roped over, what you can see is the stitching down to the eyelet. :sunglasses:

Apologise you are spot on jakdaw.
regards dave.

No need for apologies dave, I just thought the lad did a good job and deserved a bit of credit. :sunglasses:

moomooland:

nick2008:
Absolute FAIL Paul Smith never rope over a fly sheet 8/10 for effort though :wink:

No it’s a 10/10.
If you look at the picture full size you will see the o rings/eyelets are in line with the flysheet’s reinforced stitching!

Here’s another from Tom Riding’s archives.

Bill Coolican, the regular driver of TTC 880D, is stood on top of the load while Louis Gornall passes up the fly sheet…

There would be no way that load would get wet once that fly sheet was on !! Cheers Bewick.

1970commer:

Bewick:
Howay now Lads,sheeting a tipper box is only marginally more difficult than sheeting a double bed,nothing too hard there then :wink: :laughing: Dennis.

Howay Dennis, sheeting a tipper box IS easy, after all it’s got a uniform shape, much the same as a load of paper or orange juice in cartons (other fruit flavours are available) so therefore the same principle applies, as the meerkat off the tele says “Simples”.

I have enjoyed seeing some really good examples of Sheeting & Roping on this thread from haulage companies the length & breadth of the U.K. a lot still going on in the present day too, so it just goes to prove ROF’s overpriced course is paying dividends after all.

I’ve found a couple of random pictures, one of a tipper sheeted & one of a load of orange juice in cartons, just so everyone can see the similarity.

P.S. Don’t take a powder Dennis, just having the craic !!

Me ! take a powder ? no chance,just give it back with a double dose eh! Look,99% of sheeted and roped loads were of uniform size but this didn’t prevent some of the “non handlers” from making a complete bollox of the job.Those of “US” who could make a tidy a job of a load did so,and took immense pride in the finished article so it is easy for them that haven’t done the job to say "Oh! Aye,dead easy,that load is square so any ■■■■■■ could do it !! Not so I’m afraid,someone who could’nt ,or hadn’t mastered the craft,would make a mess of the simplest load,and I speak from past experience having seen many examples from the worst to the very best,and I’m glad to say I was always associated with the best !! Cheers Dennis.

Don’t forget Dennis in your own words … Middle of the country means average ,the laughing policeman !!!

Dan Punchard:
Don’t forget Dennis in your own words … Middle of the country means average ,the laughing policeman !!!

No idea who this laughing policeman is but what I do know is the standard of sheeting and roping got worse the farther south you went !Cheers Dennis.

A serious question now, just for a change, but how long would it take to sheet and rope one of your trailers Dennis, or anyone elses for that matter? I only ask as when I went with my old man as a kid in the 50’s I didn’t take any notice, would one man complete the job in an hour for instance? I suppose that, unlike us tipper men, you were never chasing the next load so time wasn’t so valuable but it must have eaten into the driving day if you had (say) two or three loads daily?

Pete.

image.jpg

My work was mainly fruit and veg, a lot of which was roped under the sheet using corner boards to prevent damaging the boxes. This could be frustrating since it was quite common to dislodge one of them and to have to climb on top again to put it back … only for it to happen again a few minutes later! The worst bit I found was since a lot of the work was several drops (3 -8) and not necessarily that far apart [eg.Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Wakefield, Normanton, (Cleckheaton sometimes) & Leeds] that the unsheeting and re-sheeting took up quite a bit of time, which often meant that after a 200 mile drive you were pushing it to either get Normanton off or to the digs in Drighlington. One sheet OK, but a front and rear sheet, two side sheets or even worse four side sheets could be a real pain if the front sheets weren’t long enough to cover the last two pallets of the breaking down load.

YES the digs in Drighlington,where the chap with the wooden leg used to walk up and down ringing a bell in the morning…good or bad old days…we used to have sheeted loads to mintex cleckheaton.

Bewick That is not correct about further south you get sheeting was the worst,where did all your southern loads come from for trunk ,!the south ashford area is that not south…your own southern men …or were they on a weeks sabbatical from deepest ■■■■■■■■ come on southerners stick up for yourselves .

deckboypeggy:
Bewick That is not correct about further south you get sheeting was the worst,where did all your southern loads come from for trunk ,!the south ashford area is that not south…your own southern men …or were they on a weeks sabbatical from deepest ■■■■■■■■ come on southerners stick up for yourselves .

What I should have said was “in general” the further south you went the worse sheeting and roping got.Our shunters and drivers we employed in the south over the years were every bit as good as our lads in the north west and could,and did,interchange with one another occaisonally.Sorry if I seemed to “broad brush” all southerners with my comments but that was always the impression I got and I didn’t drive around the Home counties with my eyes shut either :open_mouth: :wink: Bewick.

Bewick:

deckboypeggy:

What I should have said was “in general” the further south you went the worse sheeting and roping got.Our shunters and drivers we employed in the south over the years were every bit as good as our lads in the north west and could,and did,interchange with one another occaisonally.Sorry if I seemed to “broad brush” all southerners with my comments but that was always the impression I got and I didn’t drive around the Home counties with my eyes shut either :open_mouth: :wink: Bewick.

Alan Firmin, Len Valsler, Bowaters, all from Kent, from our neck of the woods SAY Transport (I think when you bought a couple of their old units you must have inherited their drivers sheeting skills) Brian Harris of Widecome on the Moor & Bugle Transport of St. Austell (my cousin drove for them) none of these companies were from ■■■■■■■ but all their drivers could sheet a load up equally as well as your men if not better.

Don’t forget that old saying Dennis “Self praise is no recommendation”

Be careful with that powder now !!

"…here we go again!!!

David

Dan Punchard:

I saw this motor too Dan, it was on the A6 as I came back from Carlisle, I took a picture of it too, I thought with a big load on like that it would be a bit sluggish up the hills but it was fair flying along, when it stopped I could see why, it had just come out of an engine conversion plant near Milnthorpe, it had an extra long bonnet on to accommodate the 8 cylinder engine it had just been fitted with,

Bewick.jpg

Shame you don’t have my work ethic commer ,you’d not only have bungees but an easy sheet too .