roping and sheeting

Bewick:
The sheeting and roping on the two Fergie outfits is nothing to be proud of !! One interesting observation though would be the trailer behind the MAN,I think it is maybe one of those “short lived” Target trailers that had the chassis main frame on the outside.I could never work out what the advantage was to this design? maybe Larry could give us a clue,he probably had a fleet of them!! Cheers Dennis.

There you go again Dennis, the self appointed expert in all things roped and sheeted and as usual your way is the only way. I and I think quite a few others rope and sheet to suit ourselves and the load we are carrying. You as a boss are quite within your right to insist on your way being the right way for your drivers. I wouldnt be surprised if some of your drivers wouldnt have roped over the flysheet at times if working for someone else but your firm so your rules.
As a youngun on wagon and drag, I had to sheet with the name on view with the bottom edge of the sheet level with the side rave, and any slack sheet folded up on top. Dollies had to all be at same height, no matter what the load and all tie strings had to slope at the same angle. It did look smart when done right but then there was two of us to perform this. Even when roped over the flysheet still acts as a waterproof cover but also acts as extra strength to secure the load. A fly sheet roped front and back might look alright in the yard but out side with side winds, no thanks, a flapping sheet is not what I want. Tie strings, which are usually cheap thin rope, if they are on, have been known to fail. You then end up at the side of the road trying to tie your sheet down, lucky if it hasnt torn or blown down the side. My main concern would be to arrive with the load in good condition, if I thought that needed the fly sheet to be roped over then so be it, so each to their own.
As for the Target trs they were a pain in the posterior. The rope hooks were tucked up the inside of the side at the front to save the rear mudguards so you couldnt get the ropes pulled tight at the front. Those further back were so low they were a pain to rope to. If you didn`t take care when putting timbers or chocks on the floor, as the weight of the load landed the floor would sink making it hard to keep the load secure .

Now then,now then “ddbrsn” at least I stimulate debate and as regards the 8 wheeler and trailer sheeting and roping all I would say is “snap” ! The driver I worked with was just as particular as the one you ran with.However with regard to fly sheets I fully accept that drivers/firms could set,or not,their own rules as to wether a fly sheet was roped over it’s nothing to do with me what they did ! But I think you are well aware that a fly sheet is not meant to be roped over,ok a rope at the fron’t end and one at the back edge may-be but not over the top of the load surely!! Your description of the sheet ties and the sheets flapping resulting in an unplanned stop is alien to Bewick Transport,honest ! On the very rare occaision that a driver had cause or dared to mention that a tie had come loose on a trailer loaded by one of our shunters he was offered the chance of a couple of weeks on shunting,end of conversation!!! All our sheet ties were quality nylon and could be hitched as tight as a main rope if needs be ! Don’t take it personal mate,I’m only passing an opinion which obviously is not always welcomed in some quarters it seems. Not to worry,Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
By the sound of it Bri you must have experienced some difficulty with putting a proper Dolly knot in ( Hitch to us lads in the Norff!) How many times did you land on your arse? a few by the concern you are showing to that Bewick driver!! Put the knot on right then just give it gentle “ease” then being sure it’s good to go,Give it some “wellie” my son!!! never had one out yet,one or two misfires but never landed on my arse either.Keep on roping yea!!! Cheers Bewick.

This might sound odd but I never learnt to rope and sheet (tarp over here) till I got to Oz and ended up driving flat beds carting all sorts (in my defence a lot of my work back home was removals, or subsequently bulky light stuff that suited big box vans or tautliners). The thing with R&S - like many things - is there’s no better teacher than experience - once I’d cocked up a few hitches and landed on my arris I soon learned to (a) do a hitch properly and (b) test it before I hauled on it.

But once you’ve learned the knack (even on a 4 wheeler) it’s an art that you don’t forget. Even after over a decade out of transport I can still do a proper hitch (but only if I stop thinking about it and let my hands do what they know).

8LXBV8BRIAN:
Nah, Dennis no problems on the roping and sheets front had a real good bunch to learn from when i was younger. :open_mouth: :laughing: in-t
that right Kevin jarrow rolling mill back in 1973
They taught you well my son, said in a Darth Vader voice. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Brian, Do you remember those cak handed dollies Geordie Fearns used to produce? Although he made them
with his right hand the loop at the top of the dolly was always to the left. It was a strange sight to watch.
regards Kev

ParkRoyal2100:

Bewick:
By the sound of it Bri you must have experienced some difficulty with putting a proper Dolly knot in ( Hitch to us lads in the Norff!) How many times did you land on your arse? a few by the concern you are showing to that Bewick driver!! Put the knot on right then just give it gentle “ease” then being sure it’s good to go,Give it some “wellie” my son!!! never had one out yet,one or two misfires but never landed on my arse either.Keep on roping yea!!! Cheers Bewick.

This might sound odd but I never learnt to rope and sheet (tarp over here) till I got to Oz and ended up driving flat beds carting all sorts (in my defence a lot of my work back home was removals, or subsequently bulky light stuff that suited big box vans or tautliners). The thing with R&S - like many things - is there’s no better teacher than experience - once I’d cocked up a few hitches and landed on my arris I soon learned to (a) do a hitch properly and (b) test it before I hauled on it.

But once you’ve learned the knack (even on a 4 wheeler) it’s an art that you don’t forget. Even after over a decade out of transport I can still do a proper hitch (but only if I stop thinking about it and let my hands do what they know).

hiya,
Haven’t done a dolly for nearly 20 years,but still a star, just nipped out to the rear garden knowing there’s a tail end of the wife’s clothes line hanging from hook to floor couldn’t resist you know for “old times sake” and there you go, piece of cake didn’t need to think about it produced a perfect dolly that even Dennis couldn’t fault, have left it in the rope for any inspection but tours of the back garden by appointment only give me chance to clear the undergrowth, wizard at R&S rubbish at gardening well no’one’s perfect.
thanks harry long retired.

Howay there “H” canny lad,there’s nowt that you could/would ever do that would draw any critisism from me,nothing ,zilch !! Cheers Dennis.

I can recall landing on my arse once but the dolly never came out the bloody rope broke ( before the nylon ones ) and it was wet with puddles about and yes I sat in one. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

sammyopisite:
I can recall landing on my arse once but the dolly never came out the bloody rope broke ( before the nylon ones ) and it was wet with puddles about and yes I sat in one. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

You stupid boy !! :blush: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Bewick:

sammyopisite:

nowt wrong in making a mistake it is only unacceptable when you make the same mistake again, sometimes you can learn more from your mistakes than being correct all the time. :unamused:
cheers Johnnie :wink: :laughing:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

sammyopisite:

nowt wrong in making a mistake it is only unacceptable when you make the same mistake again, sometimes you can learn more from your mistakes than being correct all the time. :unamused:
cheers Johnnie :wink: :laughing:

hiya,
Hells flames Johnnie there’s a lesson to be learned in there somewhere if only I knew what you mean :exclamation: :wink: :wink:
thanks harry long retired.

I remember one morning waiting to tip a load of bacon in Hanging Ditch Manchester, I had my sheets off & rolled up, I had two brand new sisal ropes, so I tied one of them onto the front of my wagon, strtched it out wrapped it around my waist & walked away about 90ft, & I was pulling on it to get the kinks out before I used it. To my amazement this big ■■■■■ chap who walking past stopped & said you will never pull that wagon by yourself, can I give you a hand he said, well I had to smile to myself, so I explained what I was doing., he replied well is the rope not long enough, well what could I say, he went away laughing. But of course it must have looked a bit funny to him, but I thought it was nice of him to offer me some help, Happy Days , Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
I remember one morning waiting to tip a load of bacon in Hanging Ditch Manchester, I had my sheets off & rolled up, I had two brand new sisal ropes, so I tied one of them onto the front of my wagon, strtched it out wrapped it around my waist & walked away about 90ft, & I was pulling on it to get the kinks out before I used it. To my amazement this big ■■■■■ chap who walking past stopped & said you will never pull that wagon by yourself, can I give you a hand he said, well I had to smile to myself, so I explained what I was doing., he replied well is the rope not long enough, well what could I say, he went away laughing. But of course it must have looked a bit funny to him, but I thought it was nice of him to offer me some help, Happy Days , Larry

funny but where I work now you could not use the N word anymore, fredm

Well how else could I describe him ? he was very fiendley, I wonder how he would describe me when he got to work & told his mates what he had seen.? Regards Larry

Bewick:
The sheeting and roping on the two Fergie outfits is nothing to be proud of !! .

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Bewick:

Now then,now then “ddbrsn” at least I stimulate debate

More like I`m the boss so whatever I say is right.

Bewick:
and as regards the 8 wheeler and trailer sheeting and roping all I would say is “snap” ! The driver I worked with was just as particular as the one you ran with

You then show a picture we would both have gotten our ar**s kicked for, those main sheets are a disgrace.

Bewick:
Your description of the sheet ties and the sheets flapping resulting in an unplanned stop is alien to Bewick Transport,honest ! On the very rare occaision that a driver had cause or dared to mention that a tie had come loose on a trailer loaded by one of our shunters he was offered the chance of a couple of weeks on shunting,end of conversation!!!

So unless he wants a couple of weeks local he`s not going to say anything, is he :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Bewick:
All our sheet ties were quality nylon and could be hitched as tight as a main rope if needs be !

Again going by your photo I could`nt agree more as I see it looks like the sheet edges are rope reinforced. You were in a position to dictate the quality and the use of the equipment your people used. Most drivers have no option but to use sheets that they are provided with and to try hitching the ties on these,as main rope, would be foolish in the extreme.

Bewick:
Don’t take it personal mate

Im not the one whos efforts are been denigrated, so its not personal to me. I thought I was joining your debate, and maybe, standing up for the other side.

Bewick:
I’m only passing an opinion which obviously is not always welcomed in some quarters it seems

Which is exactly what I was doing, with the result, you imply. Im sure if you were to give those drivers your opinion over the table at a greasy spoon youd get a more forthright reply.

Bewick:
Not to worry,Cheers Dennis

I dont have to worry anymore Dennis, no more R/S for me, hands, back and knees now suffering from from all the abuse I gave them over the years. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: But unlike you I dont see someones effort and try to give it a good kicking. I will have a quiet chuckle and will offer a suggestion or two on how I think their efforts could be improved, if asked. At the end of the day it`s what they and their bosses are comfortable with and not us.
Cheers Dave.

Well done ddbrsn !! you thoroughly sliced and diced my last post,you should write a thesis on all my posts !! You would definitely get a “first” at Oxbridge mate ! Suggested title " The prehistoric thinking of an old time,knuckle dragging Haulier". Anyway,that fly sheet didn’t have a “bottle” rope stitched round the edge,we only used bottle sheets on the Bowater traffic that we hauled on flats.They were much too heavy for general use,so what you are seeing is nothing other than a very well made fly sheet with good ties that can stand some tension. Oh! and I’ll have you know I was always very welcome around the table in any of the cafe’s our lads frequented,wether I was in my boiler suit with an artic parked outside or I was in a suit and the Merc was sat on the park,not among the artics I’ll hasten to add!!! It’s just that we did have certain standards at Bewick Transport and always wanted to present a good example,which was sadly lacking at a lot of other hauliers I’m sad to say.Plus we never asked any of our drivers to do anything I or my manager wouldn’t do ourselves ! Nothing wrong with that surely,is there? never-the -less I enjoyed reading your take on my posts,keep it up !! Cheers and regards Dennis.

HMM Good example ? who put the B.T.S. on this then Dennis. :blush:

kevmac47:

8LXBV8BRIAN:
Nah, Dennis no problems on the roping and sheets front had a real good bunch to learn from when i was younger. :open_mouth: :laughing: in-t
that right Kevin jarrow rolling mill back in 1973
They taught you well my son, said in a Darth Vader voice. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Brian, Do you remember those cak handed dollies Geordie Fearns used to produce? Although he made them
with his right hand the loop at the top of the dolly was always to the left. It was a strange sight to watch.
regards Kev

I Kevin i wish he was still doing them :frowning: , i remember one time Allan walker i think it was saying he always knew
when i had been shunting with George :smiley: as one side had lefts and the other had right hand Dolly’s i spent many
happy days with George at P&G,H.M.S.O, Alcan,Quayside,Consett and Jarrow steel mills etc went every place was his little shadow back then great times. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

8LXBV8BRIAN:
HMM Good example ? who put the B.T.S. on this then Dennis. :blush:

I accept I can never win !! someone will always “nit pick” !!! Doh !

The 2 fergy photos are of tommy dodds lorry a well respected north east driver for fergusons over the years, he never had to kiss the boss,s todger to get a new lorry.

mark

This a first time high load sheeting up job, not bad for a begginer in my book, What do you think Dennis ?, Regards Larry