roping and sheeting

I DON’T THINK I DID A BAD JOB FOR MY FIRST ATTEMPT. FORMICA COVERED CHIPBOARD WHAT A BA***RD LOAD!SLICK AS THE PREVERBIAL.IT WAS ROPED AND STRAPPED AND IT STILL BLOODY MOVED :cry:

YEP THERE ARE STRAPS AS WELL AS ROPES( DOUBLE DOLLYS CROSSED OVER THE FRONT AND BACK) THE CHIPBOARD IS IN 8’ SQUARE BUNDLES (WITH STEEL STRAPS ON THEM), 5 DOWN THE BED. GOD THAT STUFF MOVED A LOT.

BY THE WAY RENEGADE DO YOU RECOGNISE THE MOTOR ? SHE CAME FROM LEOMINSTER I THINK (MCJ 390Y HEREFORDSHIRE REDG No)

wideboybob:
my first attempt at this fine art! my 111 with a load of chipboard out of KRONASPAN at chirk. circa 1988

New sheets to learn with unlucky!!! Straps under the sheets I was taught, I was also taught to do a hitch left handed but there you go, nice picture of a proper looking lorry nice 1.

What is roping and sheeting :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

only joking :smiling_imp:

i thought straps would be better under but i seem to remember another driver saying that was how he did it and i followed suite. i was only going to gloster so i thought i would not need a flysheet but it started to rain and chipboard does not like rain! pic was taken just down from dorrington i think on the A49, and yes i had just been into the LAZY TROUT FOR BREAKFAST! stopped for a strap check after a car tried to do a kamikazi Uturn and i had to brake hard.looked good so i took a pic :stuck_out_tongue:

i thought i would add this ; what happens when you dont tie stuff down(beer in my case!) :blush:

OOP’s :blush:

yeh ooops is right.had to load it like that (1 pallet up front ,then 2 then 1 )so as not to overload my drive axle.loader said they wont move…bol***ks! :cry:

Unsecured load in a tautliner == A big fine in Scandinavia or Germany !! I believe this is still so ? Anyone know if it’s law anywhere else in E.U. ■■

wideboybob:
yeh ooops is right.had to load it like that (1 pallet up front ,then 2 then 1 )so as not to overload my drive axle.loader said they wont move…bol***ks! :cry:

And you believed him :unamused: and there was me thinking the safety of the load was the drivers responsibility.Cant think why you should want to pose for a photo tbh
How many cases of Amstel went awal there then ? :laughing:

wideboybob:
i thought i would add this ; what happens when you dont tie stuff down(beer in my case!) :blush:

Anything that falls over belongs to the driver :exclamation: :exclamation: It’s the law, or should be :wink: :smiley:

in reply to the above comments…i did not pose for the photo. my mate took me by suprise! …there was three of us delivering to this place and the boss said that we could have the bust cases(hic)…the cases were glue locked on the pallets(strips of glue under each box to stop them moving) they were strapped down but not well enough, just criss cross over the sides :blush: this was old stock from BULMERS hereford going to a cash and cary in bradford as it was allmost out of date!i should have kept some rope !PS amstell beer is cheep and cheerfull hic! :stuck_out_tongue:

wideboybob:
BY THE WAY RENEGADE DO YOU RECOGNISE THE MOTOR ? SHE CAME FROM LEOMINSTER I THINK (MCJ 390Y HEREFORDSHIRE REDG No)

Can’t say that I do Bob, unless it was one of C M Mercer’s.

it was mercers a bloke called tony mobley used to drive it

Here’s how the Scott’s drivers used to do it to perfection :slight_smile:

Iwas tought never to rope or strap over a flysheet as it defeats its purpose I.E. to lift slightly like a balloon over the load,keeping the load free of water.I was also told roping down over corners could also cause minute holes making the sheet porous,and also never use one on steel unless the load was sheeted as well.
regards dave.

Big Leggy:
Unsecured load in a tautliner == A big fine in Scandinavia or Germany !! I believe this is still so ? Anyone know if it’s law anywhere else in E.U. ■■

Yep. It’s still so here anyway.

I`m with daffdave!

dafdave:
Iwas tought never to rope or strap over a flysheet as it defeats its purpose I.E. to lift slightly like a balloon over the load,keeping the load free of water.I was also told roping down over corners could also cause minute holes making the sheet porous,and also never use one on steel unless the load was sheeted as well.
regards dave.

Dafdave.

You’re correct. You should never rope a fly sheet, as you say, it defeats the purpose of the exercise in that the fly sheet can’t fly and shake the water off. It was allowed though, to cross the front and rear with ropes and leave the rest of the sheet “loose”. However, in the picture of Scotts ERF 4 wheeler and drag, he hasn’t got a fly sheet on, it is in fact on closer inspection a “bottle sheet”. It has the ropes running through the edges of the sheet and at intervals ropes braided into them, hanging down. They weighed a ton for the one’s designed for the 40’ft trailers and 2 tons if they were wet !! Obviously they would not cause damage to the load, but it was permitted in the day, to rope over a bottle sheet, in-between the pallets of 2 high bottles to give extra security which believe me you needed. Along with timber, bottles were my next least favorite load. So Mr. Scott has done a good job, and not committed a cardinal sin as he would have done had it been a fly sheet .