roping and sheeting

Punchy Dan:

Saw this somewhere today ,anon1 :open_mouth:

Hi dan ,truck looks smart mate ,I like seths new silver look seen the artic the other day looks better than pink if I had been quick I would have taken a photo you down this way at all or up country a lot :smiley:

smallcoal:

Punchy Dan:

Hi dan ,truck looks smart mate ,I like seths new silver look seen the artic the other day looks better than pink if I had been quick I would have taken a photo you down this way at all or up country a lot :smiley:

Hiya John ,the silver lorries are joshs ,Sethā€™s fleet are pink ,and our cousins fleet are all blue ,thereā€™s only me with the traditional light blue that my dad and 2 uncles used to use, Iā€™am doing my best to stay in the north :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

smallcoal:

Punchy Dan:

Hiya John ,the silver lorries are joshs ,Sethā€™s fleet are pink ,and our cousins fleet are all blue ,thereā€™s only me with the traditional light blue that my dad and 2 uncles used to use, Iā€™am doing my best to stay in the north :smiley:

And Good for you Dan, Your Foden looks great in the Punchard Bleu livery ,great stuff Dan IMO, Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry hope your well ,are you busy at Dunbarā€™s dept ,just seen a bulk tank coming your way full of malt :smiley: :wink:

Aye Im just making space for this , Hic Hic, Im doing OK Dan, Hope you & yours are too, Regards Larry.

Aye Im just making space for this , Hic Hic, Im doing OK Dan, Hope you & yours are too, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Iā€™ve just enjoyed a large Black Grouse after dinner to-night Larry ! from a bottle a long gone good Pal bought me before he passed away so I quietly toasted him as I nipped it down ! R I P Frank ! Cheers Dennis.

Quite a fan of Black Grouse myself. Especially when nobodyā€™s bothered to buy me a bottle of decent stuff!

I see they had a decent company to haul the stuff out!

Retired Old ā– ā– ā– ā– :

I see they had a decent company to haul the stuff out!

Rof, the driver had to ā€œfiddleā€ back from Scunny The wreck went into the load on arrival, recycling isnā€™t a new fad :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

ROF Looks like a Scunthorpe based wagon, I am not sure if Howgate (Whitehaven) depot ran a trunk to Scunthorpe at the time. Give me a day or two I will get chapter and verse from a friend who was manager at Howgate. BRS was the exclusive haulier out of Distington Engineering Co (DEC) then .
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Retired Old ā– ā– ā– ā– :
Quite a fan of Black Grouse myself. Especially when nobodyā€™s bothered to buy me a bottle of decent stuff!

Beggars canā€™t be choosers ROF and being a native of the ā€œForrestā€ you would know all about begging ! :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Basic State Pension, pal. We donā€™t all have access to multi-million pound pensions! :wink:
Some proper lorries will be here-

Leyland600:
ROF Looks like a Scunthorpe based wagon, I am not sure if Howgate (Whitehaven) depot ran a trunk to Scunthorpe at the time. Give me a day or two I will get chapter and verse from a friend who was manager at Howgate. BRS was the exclusive haulier out of Distington Engineering Co (DEC) then .
Cheers, Leyland 600.

What weight would be in one of those ladles Gerald ? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis , according to my ex Howgate traffic office friend who was running the office at this time and has seen this photo the slag ladle weighed 17-1/2 tons the Octopus was a Scunthorpe tramper (no trunk was operated) and the drivers nickname was ā€œBlossomā€. He tells me that a ladle like this one bounced off a wagon on Dunmail Raise at a point where there was a severe undulation in the road surface, some of Howgateā€™s 8 wheelers were Foden two strokers that had a reputation for motoring on.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis , according to my ex Howgate traffic office friend who was running the office at this time and has seen this photo the slag ladle weighed 17-1/2 tons the Octopus was a Scunthorpe tramper (no trunk was operated) and the drivers nickname was ā€œBlossomā€. He tells me that a ladle like this one bounced off a wagon on Dunmail Raise at a point where there was a severe undulation in the road surface, some of Howgateā€™s 8 wheelers were Foden two strokers that had a reputation for motoring on.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland, 17. 1/2 Ton at 24 Tons Gross , Naughty Naughty Eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Thanks for the interesting info Gerald ! I believe the nick name ā€œBlossomā€ harked back to the days when forestry work was carried out using horses and the lads that worked with the horses acquired the universal nick name of ā€œBlossomā€. There was a retired Chap from Milnthorpe called Eric Balmer whoā€™s nick name was Blossom as he had spent a lifetime working for a local timber merchant although in later years the horses had all been replaced but the nick name stuck. Iā€™ll bet that BRS driver had been an ex timber worker. At 17 1/2 ton that Octopus would be well loaded over 24 ton but looking at the platform it was well up to the job ! I reckon one of those ladles would have made our Old palā€™s Reiver groan a bit but he would have been ā€œup for itā€ if he could have got away with it eh! :wink: Donā€™t mention dropping things off through the Lakes, we had an idiot on McGuffie Transport load a magnet at Workington going South for repair and he set off home without any kind of restraint on the lump and coming around those bends at Rydal he threw it off and it made a dent 2 foot deep in the road ! If it had landed on a car coming the other way it would have killed the occupants. He got find Ā£250 at Windermere Magistrates and McGuffie Transport got fined Ā£50 for permitting the dozy beggar to commit the offence. If he had rung in to tell us what he had on the trailer we wouldnā€™t have let him move until the magnet was safe ! Those were the days eh! Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland, 17. 1/2 Ton at 24 Tons Gross , Naughty Naughty Eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

BRS Larry ! No problem! the Ministry never bothered them as they were both on the same side eh! Hope you are keeping well kind regards Dennis.

Dennis & Larry, I forgot to add my informant said the ladles were usually about 16-1/2 ton still over the top on a late 1950s 8 wheeler but heigh ho this was the early to mid 60s who cared ā– ā– ?
Cheers Leyland 600.

Back in the ā€œGood old daysā€ I had a boss who used to say. ā€œIf it ainā€™t full, it ainā€™t loaded!ā€. Another of his comments was, ā€œI didnā€™t pay for a 36 foot trailer just so you could run around with a 24 foot loadā€.