Romanian Plates

LL79:
Did UK residents with other nationality inform their insurance companies when taking policy that they live and work in other country than where car is registered? I bet they dont…so insurance is void…

No, no it’s not.

Any insurance policy sold anywhere in the EU must cover the car in every EU country. For the minimum requirements in every country. Eg for 3rd party only here

So a BG insurance policy for example will cover them 3rd party only in UK. It’s a requirement of the single market

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

chrisdalott:
Any insurance policy sold anywhere in the EU must cover the car in every EU country. For the minimum requirements in every country. Eg for 3rd party only here

So a BG insurance policy for example will cover them 3rd party only in UK. It’s a requirement of the single market

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

As always been…for short period of time but excluding been resident of that country…
Just one simple question: if it is requirement of the single market why all UK insurance companies want to know if you will be using car abroad more that specified time?
To charge you more or refuse to insure…simple

milodon:

LL79:
Did UK residents with other nationality inform their insurance companies when taking policy that they live and work in other country than where car is registered? I bet they dont…so insurance is void…

No, no it’s not.

Its up to you mate…you know now that UK residents can only drive UK reg cars…
Im myself not English native, been using my left hand drive car here for some time because it was my car before i came here and it was good car i didnt want to part with…but buying car here, then register to foreign plates and bring it back just to spare some penny is taking a ■■■■!
I would personaly not feel good driving car like that…

The only thing I’ve learned from this thread is confirmation of what I already know well -

When it comes to the blood of the foreigners, there’s nobody thirstier than “domesticated” immigrants themselves. Oh the moral high ground.

must be about 2-3 years back there was a police check on the exit road from magna park lutterworth and they were pulling foreign reg cars in and they had a line of recovery trucks towing the cars they confiscated…i was told that after 6 months residence the car could not legally be used. as said,a quick trip home or a booze cruise to calais would reset the 6 months.

milodon:
But do you have to be a resident to work? Here in Norway I’m classed as “temporary” as a commuter (2000 mile commute though :laughing: ) and that means I can use my car with foreign plates to commute internationally and for personal use. Only with permanent residency do I lose that right. 10x difference for insurance to begin with.

Same situation for me here in Sweden…

Paul