Rolling Over

scania245:
but my prsonal opinion on most rollovers is to much speed

I don’t see how that can reasonably be disputed (as, to reduce it to the absurd a stationary vehicle is hardly likely to roll :unamused: ), but the question is in many cases the total blame for that cannot be laid at the driver’s feet. A fact surely borne out by the fact that the police, who don’t usually hesitate to book a wagon driver, often don’t prosecute.

I pulled a box about 4 weeks ago as a favour. I needed an early finish and the TM asked me to shoot into Portsmouth, drop my trailer and pick up a loaded skelly etc. I had to take it to Reading. No one seemed to know what it was loaded with so I had to take a chance. I felt the box ‘roll’ a few times and I was taking it extremely cautious!! When I got the destination and the box was opened, it was full to the roof with flat pack garden furniture. So if a box loaded to the roof and back doors moves like that, God knows what it must be like pulling the half empty ones that are heavy.

Has anyone seen that video Merc did about their new saftey features?

I think I saw it on YouTube. It was showing things like a computer controlled emergency breaking system and a stability control system. To be honest it was a real eye opener for me. They were showing two wagons, one with the safety features and one without. What shocked me was how unbalanced the one without the safety feature was. I’m used to driving high sided buses with driving double deckers for a while but the truck looked way more unbalanced than a bus. It didn’t seem to take much to provoke the wagon without the new system to start lifting wheels. I must admit the Merc stablitity control looked very impressive.

As part of the ADR training they spoke about slow role overs but its hard to understand how a slow roll over could happen in a non tanker trailer, I suppose the obvious cause would be putting to much weight above the trailers centre of gravity. From what I’ve been told about how containers are loaded you can see how that happens. When a container driver picks up a container does the driver get the opportuntiy to check the load or are they sealed?

CW

Lucy:
How does that account for the known phenomenom (sp LOL) of slow-speed rollover then? :wink:

Slow speed rollover is just that - a roll over at slow speed, but still too fast to keep it on its wheels.

A stationary motor don’t fall over - the driver makes it move and controls how it moves, therefore if it falls over it’s down to the guy making it move whatever the speed, load or road conditions.

Saw a Halfords double decker a few months back on its side between 10 & 9 on the M40 obviously it had gone over on a straight bit of road,so its not always on the corners :wink:
could of been the grooves in lane 1 I suppose.

What the drivers who do these ‘slow speed’ rollovers never tell you is…how fast they where doing before it. Its no good doing 35mph round a roundabout and braking down to 15 as you hit the curve, your load is still going to want to go straight, and with the monemtum it had at 35mph. I can understand them naybe going at severe bends such as exiting the M6 for Lancaster for example, but the vast majority off them are just going to fast.

Hi Guys, I’m a newby but the way I have been taught is treat roundabouts as a 20mph speed limit at the max. That doesn’t mean drop to 20 mph as you hit the roundabout. It means approach the roundabout at 20 mph.

Cheers, Nige

im all to aware off the under 25 mph phenomenan especially on tankers sweating bricks /touching cloth and no i dont disregard it but my opinion is speed ie going to fast /load not safe straps not adjusted/checked one of my favorite bit of road is m25/m11 north jct a pound for evrey time some one went racing past me as i observed the speed limit then less due to the load (i could have afforded a holiday this year) :laughing:

with regard to the 80/20 thing. Is there an exemption for milk tankers (no baffles) collecting from farms? Obviously they fill gradually from farm to farm.

A theory i have of roll overs (particularly non tank) is this:

We all know that some bends appear to kink a bit part way around, often drifting you over the line. I think maybe some drivers then panic ■■■■■■ the wheel round to pull it back behind the white line. If the load is in the least unstable, that would upset the balance.

I frequently joing the M6 north bound at J15 Stoke south. Now that is a bend!

There are some terrible ruts around that don’t half throw you around as you drop into them. I find it best not to fight it. Must frighten newbies a lot.

Mike-C:
i

Well the only rolling over i intend on doing is under my duvet covers in about 20 minutes , just after i’ve made sure everything is strapped on !!!

■■■■■

Dogmatix:

Mike-C:
i

Well the only rolling over i intend on doing is under my duvet covers in about 20 minutes , just after i’ve made sure everything is strapped on !!!

■■■■■

:smiley: :smiley:

Driveroneuk:
with regard to the 80/20 thing. Is there an exemption for milk tankers (no baffles) collecting from farms? Obviously they fill gradually from farm to farm.

It’s not a question of exemption. Milk isn’t dangerous goods (by road) so nothing in ADR applies to it at any stage.
AFAIK, the thing I call “80/20” is only written in ADR, so “80/20” would then only affect dangerous goods carried in a tanker. (Sorry if my earlier post was unclear.)

M6 junction 34 their was a bad dip in the road which if a HGV driver took it to fast used to end up on their side.
quite bad, but they have since levelled the road out so not been any accidents since.

Also M6 junction 33 when they come off the motorway some hammer it around the roundabout. last year 2 HGVs ended up on their side.

Has anyone mentioned concrete mixers?
When I was driving the Concrete Mixers they have to be taken around corners slower than most other trucks…couple of inexperianced lads rolled theres. even the experianced drivers on occasions got caught out…

re utube, especially the last one…

lmao :laughing: :smiley: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
re utube, especially the last one…

lmao :laughing: :smiley: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Chris Moyles played that song loads about 6/9 months ago.

That bloke, Weird Al has done some really funny other (non-truck) stuff too.

Speed is the highest factor in the equation , and also the most powerful factor in the equation …

Yes Slow roll over does occur but not without speed being the initial factor in the equation .

■■■■ me I carry nion upto full weight kegs every night and I slow down well before hitting a roundabout to allow the crap that is in the trailer to calm down before I want to go around the roundabout …
Hit It fast , brake hard , then try and take it , you can feel it pulling , sometimes it twitches , and thats wgen you are on it’s limits before the whole outfit just needs one more twitch the wrongway for you to go over …
Two Industries suffer greatly from roll overs :

1.Tankers
2.Brewery trunking .

Sometimes I have overcooked it and got lucky , never been a lesson I would like to try again .

I will 100% say speed on the approach is the main factor …

3 concrete mixers

That loads continusly going from side to side

Tipper-driver01:
M6 junction 34 their was a bad dip in the road which if a HGV driver took it to fast used to end up on their side.
quite bad, but they have since levelled the road out so not been any accidents since.

Also M6 junction 33 when they come off the motorway some hammer it around the roundabout. last year 2 HGVs ended up on their side.

M5 J31 (A30 exit) gets several roll overs too :wink:

Slow speed rollover is about incorrect use of brakes, not speed. I can’t be arsed to explain it again for the umpteenth time, so here’s one I nicked from one of my own posts earlier, as it was explained to me when I first pulled a tanker, by a man with enough years under his belt to know (who also happened to be my boss):

Me in another post:
SLOW SPEED ROLLOVERS
I was taught about the dangers of slow-speed rollover when I first did tank work. Tankers, containers full of loose freight, and hanging meat wagons are, as ever, most susceptible… :unamused:

It’s difficult to explain but without using diagrams, but I’ll give it a shot… :open_mouth:

It’s most likely to happen on either roundabouts or a series of s-bends…I’ll take roundabouts for this example, and use a tanker as our hypothetical vehicle, for ease of explanation.

Think about where the liquid in a tanker goes as it takes a roundabout, a step at a time…

• Tank driving straight. Load is fairly stable, err-ing towards the back of the tank due to a combination of inertia (of the load) and forward movement (or the lorry).
  • Tank brakes as it approaches roundabout. Inertia means that the load continues to move forward, ending up at the front of the tank.
  • Tank accelerates onto the roundabout whilst steering left The load heads for the back of the tank again, this time into the right hand corner.
  • Tank steers right around roundabout Load stays at the back of the tank, but goes into the left-hand corner.
  • Tank steers left to exit roundabout The load goes back to the rear right-hand corner again.
  • Tank straightens out after leaving roundabout The load settles centrally at the back of the tank, and all is well.

That, of course, is the ideal. Notice that apart from when he first approached the roundabout, our driver didn’t brake. :wink:

If he had dabbed his brakes a tiny tad too hard…well, let’s take the point where he has finished steering left (onto the island) and has started to steer right again…

If he braked just at the wrong moment, instead of just going from one side to the other of the back of the tank, the load will go diagonally across the tank…so it goes right to left (because of the change of direction) and back to front (because of the braking)…finishing up in the front left hand corner of the tank…

It is this diagonal serge into the “shoulder” of the vehicle which can make it flop, even at very low speeds…I kid you not, a fitter from the firm I was on when this was explained to me took a loaded tank out of the yard and put it on it’s side at less than 20mph as a result of this one…no-one’s fault, just lack of knowledge on his part and unfortunate timing with the brakes! :open_mouth:

How to avoid it? Take all roundabouts slowly, and above all, smoothly if you are pulling a trailer which contains any type of “loose” freight - or a rigid of the same ilk, for that matter…and try and spot the cars cutting 'round which might make you brake early enough to do it gently. :grimacing:

Hope that makes some sort of sense… :question:

But then you wouldn’t need brakes without speed .

Chicken and the egg anyone ?

:laughing: :laughing: