Roll-On, Roll-Off Ferries

Great photos Ray. :wink:

Sealink advert from 1974.

Sealink SMZ ferry " Prinses Beatrix " in service from Harwich to Hook Of Holland in 1980.
Six years later, this ship was purchased by Brittany Ferries and re-named " Duke de Normandie "
and commenced service from Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen). NMP.

Ray.

Did you ever sail on Olau Ray ■■?

DEANB:

Hi Dean, No, I never sailed with Olau Line. What I seem to recall is that Olau Britannica and Olau Hollandia
became P & O vessels sailing from Portsmouth as " Pride Of Le Havre " and " Pride Of Portsmouth ", or am
I barking up the wrong tree ?.

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Hi Dean, No, I never sailed with Olau Line. What I seem to recall is that Olau Britannica and Olau Hollandia
became P & O vessels sailing from Portsmouth as " Pride Of Le Havre " and " Pride Of Portsmouth ", or am

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Cheers, Ray.

IIRC, the orginal pair were quite quaint and called Olau Kent and Olau Finn. The new Britannica and Hollandia, I think, went to Stena Sealink and one of them became the Fantasia. Memory cells in lockdown!

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Cheers, Ray.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_GNV_Cristal

You`re right.
Olau Hollandia became the P.O. Le Havre, which then was the SNAV Sardegna and now is the GNV Cristal.
Olau Britannia became the P.O. Portsmouth, also sold to SNAV as the Lazio, and then GNV Atlas.

Franglais:
Olau Hollandia became the P.O. Le Havre, which then was the SNAV Sardegna and now is the GNV Cristal.
Olau Britannia became the P.O. Portsmouth, also sold to SNAV as the Lazio, and then GNV Atlas.

That’s interesting.What routes are they on because those old heaps seem way below GNV’s usual standards.Maybe put on shorter routes than Genoa to Sardina and Sicily ?.Would also need to be converted to rear load/unload only for Italian routes.So maybe welded up the bow visor ?.

Edit have now read the Wiki link.Strange I’ve never known front loading on Italian routes I thought it wasn’t allowed there. :confused:

Peter Coaker:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Cheers, Ray.

Sorry something went wrong, I am not sure what, just meant to confirm what has now been said about Olau Lines’ last 2 ships, only sailed on them a few times as by the time they came along, we had negotiated better rates with P&O. But I did sail on the Hollandia 1 & Britannica 2 regularly, it was quite a good driver experience, shame th company was brought down by the German unions.

I did however use Olau’s successor on several occasions, for the price not the quality of the experience. Eurolink were in a class of their own. The tradition was that when ferries came to the end of their time on Western routes, they moved on to Greece to see out their time.
Eurolink reversed this idea and brought in 2 superannuated former Greek ferries, every crossing I half expected to complete with the aid of a tug. Needless to say they did not last long.

P & O " Pride Of Le Havre " at Portsmouth, this vessel was formerly " Olau Hollandia ".
From memory, I think the ship was " Going About " to go stern on at the linkspan.
Ray Smyth.

This Roll-On Roll-Off ferry is " Red Kestrel " of Red Funnel for service from Southampton to East Cowes, Isle Of Wight.
It will carry cars, vans, coaches and lorries on the 1 hour journey, to and from the island. The vessel is seen here on
the River Mersey, passing the Pier Head, Liverpool. Perhaps the Captain has read his map book or satnav upside down,
and is totally lost. :wink: :wink: Cammell Laird Shipbuilders, Birkenhead won the order to build this vessel in 2018.
at a cost of £10,000,000.

Charles Schiaffino from 1978.

Click on clipping once.

Do I remember correctly? A Schiaffino ship sailing from Dover East in the late 70s.Its berth was at a now filled in part of the terminal and used to carry any kind of hazardous cargo.
I also have unpleasant memories of a sailing from Marseilles to Annaba(Algeria) at the same time on a Schiaffino vessel.

I seem to remember collecting and returning unaccompanied trailers to Schiaffino vessels in Ramsgate docks in the mid-'80s. Ro

Ray Smyth:
This Roll-On Roll-Off ferry is " Red Jet 7 " of Red Funnel for service from Southampton to East Cowes, Isle Of Wight.
It will carry cars, vans, coaches and lorries on the 1 hour journey, to and from the island. The vessel is seen here on
the River Mersey, passing the Pier Head, Liverpool. Perhaps the Captain has read his map book or satnav upside down,
and is totally lost. :wink: :wink: Cammell Laird Shipbuilders, Birkenhead won the order to build this vessel in 2018.

I could be wrong I thought the red jets were all catamarans and the boats were named after birds ? Red eagle falcon osprey etc

robthedog:

Ray Smyth:
This Roll-On Roll-Off ferry is " Red Jet 7 " of Red Funnel for service from Southampton to East Cowes, Isle Of Wight.

I could be wrong I thought the red jets were all catamarans and the boats were named after birds ? Red eagle falcon osprey etc

Hi robthedog
You are right Red Jet 7 is a catamaran the photo is Red Kestrel I am sure its a freight only ferry.
Regards Kev

Hi, robthedog and KNS64, I was given duff information regarding the Red Funnel vessel picture that I posted yesterday.
Red Jet 7 was built at the Isle Of Wight. This picture is " Red Kestrel " with tugs at Cammell Laird Shipyard, Birkenhead.
This picture is from Cammell Laird website.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hi, robthedog and KNS64, I was given duff information regarding the Red Funnel vessel picture that I posted yesterday.
Red Jet 7 was built at the Isle Of Wight. This picture is " Red Kestrel " with tugs at Cammell Laird Shipyard, Birkenhead.
This picture is from Cammell Laird website.

Ray Smyth.

That’s definitely a freighter

Too young to remember Seaspeed !! :laughing: :laughing:

Click on page twice.