Roll-On, Roll-Off Ferries

This was taken in 2008 in Norway travelling from Stavanger to Bergen, at that time used to have to use 3 ferries for the trip, since then 2 very long tunnels have been built and last time i was there you only had one ferry from Stord to south of Bergen.

These are photos taken in the eastern canadian province of Quebec on the north bank of the St Lawrence. Highway 138 crosses the Saguenay River which flows in a steep sided gorge from Lac Saint Jean. A busy, free-to-use, crossing that I did several times; delivering quad-bikes on the way out and returning with peat-moss. The peat-moss usually went to plant nurseries in the Carolinas.

I’m sure I recall something like a raft travelling from Wemyss Bay to Dunoon(?) when i used to transport stuff to Ardyne Point.

Gidders:
I’m sure I recall something like a raft travelling from Wemyss Bay to Dunoon(?) when i used to transport stuff to Ardyne Point.

Gidders, there used to be two ferries on that route , one of which was side exit on the north side of the crossing. I remember trying to get off there with my mid lift Daf :unamused: :blush: no chance!
without wiping out the funnel on the nearside with the tailswing. It was my first time on this crossing so I didn’t know that I should have been on the other ferry,( it was pre booked for me by the office). Of course then I had to reverse back on to return to the otherside, the tanker behind me also had to return as he couldn’t get past me!! He wasn’t a happy bunny :blush: :blush: . I then had to reverse back through the terminal to get out of the dock and go for the other boat, which was a simple exercise, it was like using the Woolwich ferry. I took several loads (to a fish farm ) after that, but by then I knew the score. You’ve certainly rattled the memory bank there! :laughing: :laughing: regards Kev.

ChrisArbon:
“DEANB”

Intresting pics Chris ! :smiley:

Can you imagine a free ferry in the UK ! :laughing: :laughing:

Out of intrest do you know why the Americans/Canadians have the trailer axles right at the back with no overhang ?

Hi Dean. It is usually the 48 foot trailers that have the wheels right at the back. The 53 foot trailers usually have the extra 5 feet as rear overhang.

Here are some BC Ferries on the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands routes.

Thanks for the reply Chris about the trailers. :wink:

Just had a look on google maps at Port Hardy etc. Some stunning country side ! There is a place called Namu that looks like it has a few
houses and a derelict factory or something on the shore,any ideas what that was ■■

DEANB:
Bit later than 1970 “Gidders”. Truckline started operation’s in 1973 with the MV Antelope that weighed a mere 998 tons and could
not cope with the weather conditions on the route. It was joined by a chartered vessel called the MV ASD Astor which also could
not cope with the conditions

Probably more like a very rough ride rather than ‘not cope’ ?. They look at least as seaworthy as any ocean going trawler, or tug, or oil rig supply ship in the day.

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:
“DEANB”

Out of intrest do you know why the Americans/Canadians have the trailer axles right at the back with no overhang ?

Hi Dean. It is usually the 48 foot trailers that have the wheels right at the back. The 53 foot trailers usually have the extra 5 feet as rear overhang.

Just had a look on google maps at Port Hardy etc. Some stunning country side ! There is a place called Namu that looks like it has a few
houses and a derelict factory or something on the shore,any ideas what that was ■■

Hi Dean. I think the old factory at Namu might have been a cannery. There are plenty of salmon in those waters and canning used to be the main way of food preservation before freezing. The Inside Passage is one of the all time greatest places for picturesque scenery in the World and Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is just part of it. A lot of cruise ships take the Inside Passage all the way from Seattle to Skagway in Alaska. Port Hardy to Prince Rupert takes about 18 hours. When I took the trip it was June 21st and the longest day so I did it all in daylight but it was raining for about 90% of the time and that rather spoilt it. The World Cup in Brazil was going on at the time and I can remember getting so ■■■■■■ off trying to get photographs of orcas while getting soaking wet that I went inside and watched a couple of quarter-finals.

Just the other month, I applied for a Summer season job as a tour bus driver based In Whitehorse. The job entailed; picking up cruise ship passengers at Skagway and taking them round the sites of the Yukon. Since the coronavirus pandemic the whole thing got cancelled but part of the payment was a free cruise with the Holland America Line. Although I get seasick pretty easily, I rather fancied doing the whole Inside Passage.

Hi Kev.It was certainly in the distant past.I also recall the ship with a side door as well as the “raft.”
I have a memory of another ferry across the clyde in that general area.Would it have sailed from maybe Gourock?

Carryfast:

DEANB:
Bit later than 1970 “Gidders”. Truckline started operation’s in 1973 with the MV Antelope that weighed a mere 998 tons and could
not cope with the weather conditions on the route. It was joined by a chartered vessel called the MV ASD Astor which also could
not cope with the conditions

Probably more like a very rough ride rather than ‘not cope’ ?. They look at least as seaworthy as any ocean going trawler, or tug, or oil rig supply ship in the day.

Did you ever use Truckline “Carryfast” as they were renowned for still sailing when everybody else had cancelled sailings.Portsmouth,New Haven,
Folkstone and Dover would have all cancelled their sailings and Truckline would carry on like normal with flat bottom ships. The Coutances and
Purbeck always sailed in gale force 9,10.I have seen them sail in unbelievable conditions back in the 1980’s.

The Antelope could not cope with the weather conditions and keep a regular service and although Truckline had it built brand new and it entered
service in 1973 it was sold in 1974 and replaced.Ferry companies dont have brand new ferries built and then sold a year later unless there is
something seriously wrong.

truckline ante2.PNG

truckline ante.PNG

truckline ante1.PNG

ChrisArbon:

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean. I think the old factory at Namu might have been a cannery. There are plenty of salmon in those waters and canning used to be the main way of food preservation before freezing. The Inside Passage is one of the all time greatest places for picturesque scenery in the World and Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is just part of it. A lot of cruise ships take the Inside Passage all the way from Seattle to Skagway in Alaska. Port Hardy to Prince Rupert takes about 18 hours. When I took the trip it was June 21st and the longest day so I did it all in daylight but it was raining for about 90% of the time and that rather spoilt it. The World Cup in Brazil was going on at the time and I can remember getting so ■■■■■■ off trying to get photographs of orcas while getting soaking wet that I went inside and watched a couple of quarter-finals.

Just the other month, I applied for a Summer season job as a tour bus driver based In Whitehorse. The job entailed; picking up cruise ship passengers at Skagway and taking them round the sites of the Yukon. Since the coronavirus pandemic the whole thing got cancelled but part of the payment was a free cruise with the Holland America Line. Although I get seasick pretty easily, I rather fancied doing the whole Inside Passage.

Thanks for the info Chris. You certainly did some scenic crossings. Shame about the bus drivers job that sounds like it would have been a
good number. :wink:

2009 was the year when I first crossed to Vancouver Island; a load of jet-skis from Bombardier at Valcourt in Quebec Province. The mainland terminal is Horseshoe Bay, north of Vancouver city; the island terminal is at Departure Bay near the town of Nanaimo.

Ray, This will bring back a few memories.

The thing i always remember about the Bretagne was there were loads of cabins and the really STEEP stair’s.
Much steeper than any of the other ferries on the fleet,you had to be careful.

1. Click on pages twice to read.

Back in the day on Middle East I always tried to ship out of Felixtowe on Transport Ferry Services.
Sailed about 9pm and got into Europort about 8/9am so time for an evening meal, a few beers, a good night’s sleep, full breakfast and then crack on to around Munich about midnight/1am or even the Austrian Border about 4 am.

A proper Old School Ship, unless you were last on, the reverse on was un-pressurised and if you were last the shunters offered to put your trailer into the last gap & then plenty of time to hook back up.

Now classed as geriatric my favourite ship I use as much as possible is the Skipper/Family owned Express Skopelitis that serves the Small Cyclades Islands in Greece - I guess it’s the ship equivalent of an Atkinson Borderer Small Cyclades Lines – Ανακαλύψτε τον παράδεισο των Μικρών Κυκλάδων

Pretty slick ship handling too, drop the hook & reverse on to the quay whilst the stern door drops, and I’ve seen them turn round in under 3 minutes including vehicles on & off

express_skopelitis.jpg

Cannot remember the Names of the ferries. But when I first started driving European from Dover we had to reverse on the Boat. Can anybody else remember that or is my memory completely gone. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I remember reversing onto some ferries in my early days.TFS(?)from Cairnryan to Larne ships were Doric or Ionic Ferry(?)
Some reversing onto Baltic Ferry at Felixstowe.I always did because of ripping off or snapping air lines.
I’m sure I recall reversing onto Dorset,Cotentin or Cornouailles at Poole and the Exxtor at Newhaven.There was also a Sealink ship on that route but I don’t recall the name.

Gidders:
I remember reversing onto some ferries in my early days.TFS(?)from Cairnryan to Larne ships were Doric or Ionic Ferry(?)
Some reversing onto Baltic Ferry at Felixstowe.I always did because of ripping off or snapping air lines.
I’m sure I recall reversing onto Dorset,Cotentin or Cornouailles at Poole and the Exxtor at Newhaven.There was also a Sealink ship on that route but I don’t recall the name.

Tor Scandinavia and Brittania from memory the side hatches at the front were too small for trucks.

Still often seen on Italian routes easier than turning around on the car decks.No front opening on their ferries seemingly by law.Maybe why those ended up on Italian routes.

Harwich- Hamburg was reverse on too - IIRC quite a long linkspan too, you drove down part way then do a left & then straighten up & reverse down a fair old way to get on board.

There was a ship operating out of Stranraer where you drove on to a lift in the centre of the ship then was taken onto top deck,
if you were one of the first ones on the reverse off the lift was awkward as you had to get over towards the outside of the deck.

fonzi:
Cannot remember the Names of the ferries. But when I first started driving European from Dover we had to reverse on the Boat. Can anybody else remember that or is my memory completely gone. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Most of the early ferries from Dover would have been stern loaders. For several years, Brittany Ferries were stern load only from Plymouth, if my memory is correct, the first drive through would have been Tregastle.
DFDS’s superb ships Scandinavian Prince and Princess were stern loaders.
The one that stays with me though, is Norfolk Line’s Duke of Holland and Duke of Norfolk. The top deck was reached via a steep ramp, on which combined

fonzi:

Most of the early ferries from Dover would have been stern loaders. For several years, Brittany Ferries were stern load only from Plymouth, if my memory is correct, the first drive through would have been Tregastle.
DFDS’s superb ships Scandinavian Prince and Princess were stern loaders.
The one that stays with me though, is Norfolk Line’s Duke of Holland and Duke of Norfolk. The top deck was reached via a steep ramp, on which a little bit of spilled oil or diesel combined with a wet surface was a major challenge for the tugmasters. To aid them in reversing trailers up the ramp, a long rope was tied to the back of the trailer and attached to a capstan winch mounted on the bow.
Returning empty, our trucks were often loaded on top, now livestock trucks have open ventilation, so you never left anything you did not want to get wet in the back, as the sea used to break over the sides. It was not unknown for loaded trailers to fail to complete the crossing!
Peter