Roger pickering photo's

Are Plants of Tean still in business I wonder, they had a largish fleet at one time?

Pete.

pete smith:

That’s an unusual trailer for boxes Pete? I can’t recall seeing one before,Sealand by the looks of it.

windrush in their hayday in 60/70s Plants of Tean would have run in the teens of mainly 4 & 6 wheel tippers at any one time, but in recent years the company is now called Mark Plant & I think Mark could be the great grandson of the former Wm Plant, still operate in the same livery and from the same yard in Tean.

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

That’s an unusual trailer for boxes Pete? I can’t recall seeing one before,Sealand by the looks of it.

Hi Chris,
It has got a 40 foot flat rack on the skelly or a Lancashire flat as some people call them! Cheer’s Pete

Ayup PETE I think mark plant lives up cauldon way Stuart Allen from mayfield works for him carting into products from either mercaston or longcliffe. Pete Thomas running one of marks old fodens

phop:
Ayup PETE I think mark plant lives up cauldon way Stuart Allen from mayfield works for him carting into products from either mercaston or longcliffe. Pete Thomas running one of marks old fodens

Thank’s for that, I wondered if they were still trading.

Pete.

I remember that blue and white Transconti running fertiliser out of Ince B did a few loads out of there back to Scotland, pretty good at loading as well, never more than an hour in and out…

Jeff…

pete smith:

Wynnstay put 2 Foden 3265 6 wheeler bulkers on the road in 91 ,I recon this one was J167SVT as the body is a Don Bur from Stoke that was removed from a Leyland Constuctor A331HFD . I only ever saw another Don Bur bulker body & that was on a Volvo F7 8 wheeler we ran. The Fodens were not a great success,the drivers referred to them as Sandbach chicken sheds . We had lots of minor problems with linkages & electrics ,the brakes were poor compared to the Volvo’s we ran & by the time the engine went bang in one when it was around 5 years old they sold it as is . The other ran a bit longer then was sold to Cornwall Farmers .
By contrast the 3 FL 7 Volvo’s of around the same age did at least 15 years on the fleet

Another Massey Bros truck.

Jelliot:
I remember that blue and white Transconti running fertiliser out of Ince B did a few loads out of there back to Scotland, pretty good at loading as well, never more than an hour in and out…

Jeff…

Morning Jeff,
When I posted the pic I thought someone would comment or recognise the Transcon, funny enough I have a big job on at Ince at the minute, Cheer’s Pete

turbo ted:

pete smith:

Wynnstay put 2 Foden 3265 6 wheeler bulkers on the road in 91 ,I recon this one was J167SVT as the body is a Don Bur from Stoke that was removed from a Leyland Constuctor A331HFD . I only ever saw another Don Bur bulker body & that was on a Volvo F7 8 wheeler we ran. The Fodens were not a great success,the drivers referred to them as Sandbach chicken sheds . We had lots of minor problems with linkages & electrics ,the brakes were poor compared to the Volvo’s we ran & by the time the engine went bang in one when it was around 5 years old they sold it as is . The other ran a bit longer then was sold to Cornwall Farmers .
By contrast the 3 FL 7 Volvo’s of around the same age did at least 15 years on the fleet

Thank you for the information Ted, Pete

DEANB:
Another Massey Bros truck.

Thank you Dean,
Massey Brothers bought out a mill in Great Haywood Staffs, Hunts, and I’m sure that is where Stan Robinson started his driving career, seem to remember him telling my Dad on one of his open days he held, a Mary Hopkins moment as Buzzer put it!

Cant make out the reg on the Atki Pete,but i am sure thats its the same motor. Cant have been too
many with a roof conversion like that. I am sure 240Gardner will know for sure !

Pic from a article.

atkinson conv.PNG

DEANB:
Cant make out the reg on the Atki Pete,but i am sure thats its the same motor. Cant have been too
many with a roof conversion like that. I am sure 240Gardner will know for sure !

Pic from a article.

Hi Dean,
I think that is the one, I think it may have attended one of the Atki gatherings at Leyland Museum in the late 1980’s, as Dean said over to you 240 Gardner! Cheer’s for the pic Dean

Morning Pete.

That Sed-Atki has a similar livery to W J Ridings from darkest Lancashire. :smiley:

pete smith:

DEANB:

Pic from a article.

Hi Dean,
I think that is the one, I think it may have attended one of the Atki gatherings at Leyland Museum in the late 1980’s, as Dean said over to you 240 Gardner! Cheer’s for the pic Dean

It’s the same chap, Graham Woodcock, but there were three different Atkis: the blue-and-white one in the magazine scan is a Borderer for 32T, and he also had a red Borderer. I’ve a vague recollection that the blue one came from Ernest Thorpe, and that he later lost in a fire.

Anyway, he upgraded to an ex-Killingbeck 38T double drive tractor. Of course, considering where he bought it, it wasn’t entirely straightforward…

RAO 207M started life as a ‘Searcher’ 6x4 rigid with Edenhall Concrete of Penrith, fitted with a 180 Gardner and 6-speed gearbox. ‘Dr John’ Killingbeck converted it to a tractor, with a 240 and Fuller, and added a Riding sleeper cab.

Here’s a photo from Chris Richards’ photostream on Flickr:

RAO207M by chris.farnah, on Flickr

Graham Woodcock ran it in various guises:

RAO 207M by Terry, on Flickr

RAO 207M Atkinson Searcher by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

It’s now in preservation with John Ramm:

Atkinson RAO 207M by Gyles Carpenter, on Flickr

I believe the original cab is still intact, with a well-known Atkinson restorer:

flic.kr/p/dLeX3R

Wasn’t there another Atki conversion from Norfolk with a 350 ■■■■■■■ fitted possibly pulled a tipper trailer ?

Punchy Dan:
Wasn’t there another Atki conversion from Norfolk with a 350 ■■■■■■■ fitted possibly pulled a tipper trailer ?

There certainly was: Terry Godbold’s Borderer, HER 806N - bought from Knowles/Wisbech Roadways as a 2-year-old in 1977, as I recall.

At some point, the 220 ■■■■■■■ was dragged out and replaced with a 14 litre 250, a tag axle was added to run at 38T and then a turbo ■■■■■■■ went in, I think from a Transcon.

The last update was a trip to Longton Coacraft in Leyland for a sleeper pod and new paint job - it had run in the Knowles orange until then

HER 806N - 1975 Atkinson Borderer - Terry Godbold by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

HER 806N (2) by Nivek.Old.Gold, on Flickr

It’s notoriously quick!