Roger pickering photo's

Heres another one of G.Plants ERF with curtain sider fridge body.

g plant crewe.PNG

moomooland:
Thanks again for the Riding picture Pete. :smiley:

D880 SHG seen heading South a mile past Junction 15 on the M6 near Stoke on Trent.

1Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No D880 SHG Fleet No 90 ‘■■■■ o’The North’ was registered new
to Riding’s on the 1st of September 1986 at a cost of £30,023 plus vat.

Tom Riding continues below…

“I seem to remember this was the first Gardner 6LXDT we operated and it covered a massive amount of mileage with no problems.
This engine had been built at Patricroft before they decided to have them built by London Transport workshops an act of folly which
caused many problems with subsequent engines until production reverted back to Patricroft.
This particular tractor unit spent years on the Bainbridge contract running to Enfield and back on nights and Birmingham and back on days.
Paul Spearriett drove it from new on nights and Neil Jackson was it’s day man.
Another very interesting fact is that the Bridgestone M711 pattern tyres fitted when new on the drive axle did a massive 262.000 miles with just a regroove.”

Is the 6LXDT the 320 version ,if so i had one that was was in a D registered Foden and was trouble free and pulled like a train . It makes sense that they were both probably built in Patricroft and trouble free.

DEANB:
Heres another one of G.Plants ERF with curtain sider fridge body.

Hi Dean, thats a first for me, look at the size of that fridge !!! wonder which one has the 180 gardner in, ha !!
maybe they need the big unit because its a curtain sider for chilling. Harvey

Thank you for the picture of Plants Dean,
Harvey and Ramone thank you for the comments, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete

Great thread, the Mc Alpines Foden was part of the fleet based in Wrexham on block work, near the Ind Est.
SBF10

steelboyf10:
Hi Pete

Great thread, the Mc Alpines Foden was part of the fleet based in Wrexham on block work, near the Ind Est.
SBF10

Morning Graham,
Thanks for the information, hope you are well, Cheer’s Pete

ramone:
Is the 6LXDT the 320 version ,if so i had one that was was in a D registered Foden and was trouble free and pulled like a train . It makes sense that they were both probably built in Patricroft and trouble free.

As I recall, 6LXDT was a development of the 6LXCT with a larger swept volume of 12.7 litres: the LX range up to that point being 10.45 litre

More here:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … t-grows-up

Sutherland Ltd, from Perthshire Pete :laughing: I’ll get me coat…

rp 415.jpg

Nice to see the Penllyne Foden Pete ! Heres another one chap.

AW250134.JPG

pv83:
Sutherland Ltd, from Perthshire Pete :laughing: I’ll get me coat…

:smiley: :smiley:

DEANB:
Nice to see the Penllyne Foden Pete ! Heres another one chap.

Cheer’s Dean

Double drive E series looks to be Robinsons of Derby

I thought J R Harding was the author from the old yellow pages add :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
I thought J R Harding was the author from the old yellow pages add :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Fly Fishing Author!
Cheer’s for the info on the ERF, I was thinking along the lines of Babcock Power but couldn’t place seeing a double drive!, Pete

Punchy Dan:

They are a new one on me Dan,who did they work for? Looks a nice outfit. :slight_smile:

Chris Webb:

Punchy Dan:

They are a new one on me Dan,who did they work for? Looks a nice outfit. :slight_smile:

Chris they are steel fabs / construction co.