Robsons 'Frae Carlisle

Hi.
The Viking i drove was about 20+ years ago,the brain cells kicked in,the g/son is in the cab photo with “Eddie” in the Eagles motor when he was about 4yrs,he is 24 now. Three more lads,Ken Brown (From Netley Zoo LOL) and a father,son/step son? combo who shunted,second manned whenever needed,like the rest,good lads.
Thinking about the Viking…2800 ATI…
Middle Peak quarry,Wirksworth,one sat. morning,gang of us cabbed up waiting to load off stock… Barry “B” pulls in ,in his BRAND NEW (ENVY!ENVY!) DAF 3300,you could have heard a pin drop,all resplendent in Dunn’s Blue paint job. “Wad” and myself in “Sinners” F10’s looked on in awe… Wad on the CB,“Thats a nice looking wagon Barry”,Barry,“Thanks,it is nice”. Wad,“Do you know what the ATI means on the front ?” “No” says Barry… Wait for it… Contain yourselves… “A T**t Inside”
When laughter finished,including Barry himself,we all fell on it,giving it the once over,nice ? it was bloody SUPER !!! Last i heard of Barry,he was pulling for Longcliffe Quarries,Wad was self employed fitting…HAPPY DAYS
hulltramper

Hi Y’All.
The mystery is solved,been in touch with a Lorry Oracle… He writes Grasshopper…
Daf 2800 ORM 272 R Border Viking,so far so good,then…
Daf 2800 B712 KOA Border Viking My one,if it has been recycled,it is now part of a,“Stealth Bomber”. :smiley: :unamused: :smiley: :unamused:
Ford D Tractor LHH 768F Border Viking
Ford Trader Van OHH 39 Border Viking

Nothing to do with the Viking… Pre Nationalisation,Robsons had an ERF 4 wheeler named “Sailor” ■■ The driver had the same Surname as me ? SPOOKY ?. Mind you,i always wondered why people used to shout out at me… “Hello Sailor”… Oh Thrice LOL :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
hulltramper aka “Jack Tar ■■” :open_mouth:
PS. Should any of you old,■■■■■/Gearjammers need to know the inside leg measurements,home addresses,of any driver…Marital status ? O’err missus,my Oracle is a font of all knowledge .
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side DOWN

Just a picture of a Robson’s Foden I should include.

img 001395.jpg

I used to drive border king an old foden, then border panther a daf 2500 I think out of Castleford glass works just after robsons were bought out by united glass :smiley:

royhebb2:
I used to drive border king an old foden, then border panther a daf 2500 I think out of Castleford glass works just after robsons were bought out by united glass :smiley:

hi , i also worked for robsons ran from birtley depot , got into castleford a lot , dad also worked for robsons a tramper then went onto nights , used to drive border pullman a daf 2800 , p reg , ya border panther was a 2300 daf remember getting it once when i broke down, she was well knackered by then of course, she was the spare unit , ended up going onto flitwick with it , painful memories , enjoy , regards jonny a

hi jonny a how are you? happy new year to you and familly. how is every one ? i went to the drivers re union at christmas ,what a day ,met loads of lads from fergiesv,frankie dobbo geordie newton ,and davey tilson ,had a great laugh and met aload of old faces from way back.you have to go next one when it s on really good day .any way take care matey see ya sooon,ps been doodlin again what da ya think ,did you drive one of these at robsons?

daibootsy:
BORDER…?

ENSIGN WOTS YOU LOOKIN FOR

Bewick:
For reasons best known to Robsons they never established a UK depot system in the 50’s/60’s along the lines of Smith of Maddiston,Suttons,Ridings etc.From what I gathered they used the Silver Roadways network as their “agents”,although Robsons did run an extensive Trunking operation it was all operated from the Carlisle traffic desks and they just employed outbased drivers/shunters who got their orders via telephone from Carlisle.They had quite an impressive traffic office at Carlisle,each traffic clerk had their particular area of responsility,trunkers,roamers,shunters etc. and this was all prior to the Mobile phone era,all done from GPO landlines in an era when the drivers were also excpected to use their own “commom sense” much of the time,totally different from the operations of to-day, urr!! my head hurts !!! Cheers Bewick.

Hi bewick , happy days at robsons had a short spell there 7 yrs ,got made redundant in 1990 from the birtley depot, yet seems like yesterday , re drivers using initiative, , remember me dad phoning regular after been tipped or loaded pending further instructions , got clear memories of several drivers both shunters and trampers waitng in the st lawrance cafe on newcastles quay side. Haulge companies must had cafe on speed dial, drivers would answer phone then just shout , any robsons drivers in , or jakeys drivers or whoever , how times changed , people came and went, but yet the industry rolls on , i eventually packed in after suffering at the hands of fergy sunderland , absolutely crap that was, used to get parked up regular at 3 in afternoon with a merc that wouldnt pull ya granny oot ov bed , and she been deed 10 yor , nee god whatsoever when ya paid by the hour, used to get lumbered with a lot of work for pits countrywide , turn up at 2pm and i would get sorry youngen to late to p about with that , hence parked up again ,done a lot of agency woork just to keep me hand in , workin at nissan now , piggin s######## , but pays the bills , as you know once a driver always a driver … suppose thats where the saying obey last instructions came from ,. All the best bewick , jon

jonnyA:

Bewick:
For reasons best known to Robsons they never established a UK depot system in the 50’s/60’s along the lines of Smith of Maddiston,Suttons,Ridings etc.From what I gathered they used the Silver Roadways network as their “agents”,although Robsons did run an extensive Trunking operation it was all operated from the Carlisle traffic desks and they just employed outbased drivers/shunters who got their orders via telephone from Carlisle.They had quite an impressive traffic office at Carlisle,each traffic clerk had their particular area of responsility,trunkers,roamers,shunters etc. and this was all prior to the Mobile phone era,all done from GPO landlines in an era when the drivers were also excpected to use their own “commom sense” much of the time,totally different from the operations of to-day, urr!! my head hurts !!! Cheers Bewick.

Hi bewick , happy days at robsons had a short spell there 7 yrs ,got made redundant in 1990 from the birtley depot, yet seems like yesterday , re drivers using initiative, , remember me dad phoning regular after been tipped or loaded pending further instructions , got clear memories of several drivers both shunters and trampers waitng in the st lawrance cafe on newcastles quay side. Haulge companies must had cafe on speed dial, drivers would answer phone then just shout , any robsons drivers in , or jakeys drivers or whoever , how times changed , people came and went, but yet the industry rolls on , i eventually packed in after suffering at the hands of fergy sunderland , absolutely crap that was, used to get parked up regular at 3 in afternoon with a merc that wouldnt pull ya granny oot ov bed , and she been deed 10 yor , nee god whatsoever when ya paid by the hour, used to get lumbered with a lot of work for pits countrywide , turn up at 2pm and i would get sorry youngen to late to p about with that , hence parked up again ,done a lot of agency woork just to keep me hand in , workin at nissan now , piggin s######## , but pays the bills , as you know once a driver always a driver … suppose thats where the saying obey last instructions came from ,. All the best bewick , ps bill bateman ran us lot in north east from a little desk in carlisle , or i and he had a phone aswell , fworhhhh

jonnyA:

jonnyA:

Bewick:

Hi bewick , happy days at robsons had a short spell there 7 yrs ,got made redundant in 1990 from the birtley depot, yet seems like yesterday , re drivers using initiative, , remember me dad phoning regular after been tipped or loaded pending further instructions , got clear memories of several drivers both shunters and trampers waitng in the st lawrance cafe on newcastles quay side. Haulge companies must had cafe on speed dial, drivers would answer phone then just shout , any robsons drivers in , or jakeys drivers or whoever , how times changed , people came and went, but yet the industry rolls on , i eventually packed in after suffering at the hands of fergy sunderland , absolutely crap that was, used to get parked up regular at 3 in afternoon with a merc that wouldnt pull ya granny oot ov bed , and she been deed 10 yor , nee god whatsoever when ya paid by the hour, used to get lumbered with a lot of work for pits countrywide , turn up at 2pm and i would get sorry youngen to late to p about with that , hence parked up again ,done a lot of agency woork just to keep me hand in , workin at nissan now , piggin s######## , but pays the bills , as you know once a driver always a driver … suppose thats where the saying obey last instructions came from ,. All the best bewick , ps bill bateman ran us lot in north east from a little desk in carlisle , or i and he had a phone aswell , fworhhhh

[/quote Hi Jonny A, Ive never met you but I did know one of Robsons drivers called Cliff Charlton I used to see him regular at the Carnation Milk Works in Dumfries, Mind you that was in the 50/60s era, He allways spoke top dollar about them I used to back load from them from British Gypsum at Kirkby Thore, & The Metal Box Co at Botchobey for Tyne Brand at North Shields, Happy long gone days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

jonnyA:

jonnyA:

Bewick:

[/quote Hi Jonny A, Ive never met you but I did know one of Robsons drivers called Cliff Charlton I used to see him regular at the Carnation Milk Works in Dumfries, Mind you that was in the 50/60s era, He allways spoke top dollar about them I used to back load from them from British Gypsum at Kirkby Thore, & The Metal Box Co at Botchobey for Tyne Brand at North Shields, Happy long gone days, Regards Larry.

I , little secret , used to work for fergies aswell , spoke to ya a few times up at wimbourne quay and south harbour, nowt important usual driver stuff , like where ya gannin nd stuff like that , my days at fergies is best forgotten , pile ov chit units 1628 merc errrh no thanx , crap wages . But a think thats cos we ran out sunderland depot , used to do a lot ov the pit work around the cou try , on an hourly rate gettin parked up at 3 waitin till following day to offload , nee gud , even then wen i got hours pay was poor , gan to south harbour see geordie and get a tautliner . Tell him its for nissan later , i … never saw one. Well they were for blyth , anyway ropes and sheets rule , 10-4 rubber duck nd all that , regards john ,

This is the thread you are looking Sue, Regards Larry.

There must be a story about this one!

moomooland:

At least it hadn’t shot it’s load so they probably got it out “in tact”, wonder what it was loaded with glass ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

moomooland:

At least it hadn’t shot it’s load so they probably got it out “in tact”, wonder what it was loaded with glass ? Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis It may be a load from Metal Box ■■?, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

moomooland:

Hi Dennis It may be a load from Metal Box ■■?, Regards Larry.

Hi lads …
After lookin at load .yep it looks like glsss bottles ov sort .however if it was a reckon it would ov been all over th grass or at least sunk well and truly due to its weight .therefore larrys shouts a gudn .or maybe even a load out of BXL haltwhistle …a reckon shes light either way …any ideas as to where it is

Is there any one out there who can rember the ERF B series fleet in United glass colours. I own CJM 751V a ■■■■■■■ powered day cab. I have pics of 753 and 754 but can’t find anything of 751. This months revs magazine says it was once rolls Royce powered but the manufacturer plate says ■■■■■■■■ Any info would be appreciated

I can recall Robsons had work out of both British Aluminium Burntisland and United Glass Alloa , both of these jobs went to John Russell Grangemouth , and some of Robsons on site management staff moved over to Russell`s .