Robsons 'Frae Carlisle

I really like these two photos. Reminds me of the days when you called home in your wagon and no problem with the boss or the neighbors !! :smiley:

I have tried to " tidy them up a bit ". I hope you don’t mind ?

Regards John.

New Foden 1970.

Click on page twice.

cheers old 67 ,what a difference ,when jonnie A see,s them he will be chuffed to bits ,the trucks where driven by his dad and were always parked there when he was home and we would spend hours sat in and washed and polished which ever unit he was driving at the time ,thanks for doing that ,Paul

paul ward:
cheers old 67 ,what a difference ,when jonnie A see,s them he will be chuffed to bits ,the trucks where driven by his dad and were always parked there when he was home and we would spend hours sat in and washed and polished which ever unit he was driving at the time ,thanks for doing that ,Paul

My pleasure, glad you liked them.

Regards John.

DEANB:
New Foden 1970.

Click on page twice.

When I was on the Octopus and trailer at Bradys we used to stay at least one or sometimes two nights at Walfords café in Llamsamlet, S. Wales and there was always one of Robsons “Star men” there called Norman ( or ■■■■■ Norman as he was known) as he was " taking care" of Mrs. Phillips ( a great old Lass) the owner of the Café who lived in a nice big property further up the road ! Well “■■■■■ Norman” got a new Foden unit like the one in the advert every 6 months just to “run in” and believe it it was run in very steady as he used to spend 2 or 3 days a week in S,Wales doing locals for Gwynne Bowen or Trevor Phillips on the pretence that there wasn’t much traffic for the North. Then “hey presto” on Thursday he would load for Carlisle or Irvine and run back home !!! I kid you not !! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

DEANB:
New Foden 1970.

Click on page twice.

When I was on the Octopus and trailer at Bradys we used to stay at least one or sometimes two nights at Walfords café in Llamsamlet, S. Wales and there was always one of Robsons “Star men” there called Norman ( or ■■■■■ Norman as he was known) as he was " taking care" of Mrs. Phillips ( a great old Lass) the owner of the Café who lived in a nice big property further up the road ! Well “■■■■■ Norman” got a new Foden unit like the one in the advert every 6 months just to “run in” and believe it it was run in very steady as he used to spend 2 or 3 days a week in S,Wales doing locals for Gwynne Bowen or Trevor Phillips on the pretence that there wasn’t much traffic for the North. Then “hey presto” on Thursday he would load for Carlisle or Irvine and run back home !!! I kid you not !! Cheers Bewick.

Now Bewick, I always thought that Robsons were a well respected, well run business however you don’t seem impressed.

These Fodens were the kings of the road in their day, superb vehicles.

paul ward:
Hello ,Jonnie A, how are you and your family doing ,been tidying up all me crap and got round to sorting out photographs and came across these two shots i did not know i had taken ,well it was about 45 year ago (jesus!!!) so i thought i know a man that might wanna ave a look,
what you think ,can you remember that far back ,hope you like ,stay safe and take care ,P

And a few more for the memories mate , miss those days , time counted for nothing , days went on for ever

old 67:
I really like these two photos. Reminds me of the days when you called home in your wagon and no problem with the boss or the neighbors !! :smiley:

Regards John.

What’s that station wagon, that we can only see the back end of, in the first photo? Vanguard?

Star down under.:

old 67:

Regards John.

What’s that station wagon, that we can only see the back end of, in the first photo? Vanguard?

It’s a “DelBoy” style Reliant Regent 3-wheeler van. Reliant produced their own little 700ish cc petrol engine for that. That gave out about 30 whopping HP! This engine (I believe “copied” from a Chinese copy of an ancient Standard engine) was actually quite good and ended up at 847cc even being used in low-cost self-build car racing.

Thanks Dipster, I’ve never seen one. Sounds very Top Gearish. :laughing:

Star down under.:
Thanks Dipster, I’ve never seen one. Sounds very Top Gearish. :laughing:

Have you never watched “Only fools and horses”? A very popular British TV comedy. Check it out on You Tube. I admit i watch it still as I grew up around similar people as a kid in London.

daibootsy:
Hi Hultramper, here,s BORDER VIKING.

Afternoon, I know its an old thread but this is probably the viking your looking for ,
Regards jonny A
Ex robsons , birtley depot

Great photo of the Robsons Daf, A good friend of mine worked for them at Birtley, The late Marshall Eglin from Consett, Mind you he was a Foden man he drove for Salkelds for a long time before moving on to pastures new, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great photo of the Robsons Daf, A good friend of mine worked for them at Birtley, The late Marshall Eglin from Consett, Mind you he was a Foden man he drove for Salkelds for a long time before moving on to pastures new, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence, I worked with Marshall at Robson nice bloke very calm personality, got an old photo , well crap photo with Marshall in , both loaded at alcan lynemouth ,for sanquhar
Try nd post it ,bear with

banditandchampion-th.jpg

Thank you for the photo, Marshall was a good friend of mine, I first met him when he drove for Gurteens running gravel out of Moot Law Quarry in 1974 Into RMC Plants at Hexham, Brunswick,& Newburn, This was when there was plenty of tipper work going on, The Hexham By Pass Etc was underway at this time, Marshall was a Foden man like myself, He worked for Salkelds at Castleside along with Siddle Cook at Consett, Sadley he passed away some time ago. Happy memmories in my book, Regards Larry.

Click on pages twice to read.

daibootsy:
BORDER HUNTER

Just a couple more , border bandit mine the dadss, (R,I,P)

jonnyA:

daibootsy:
BORDER HUNTER

Just a couple more , border bandit mine the dadss, (R,I,P)

IMG_20180829_101155.png

jonnyA:

jonnyA:

daibootsy:
BORDER HUNTER

Just a couple more , border bandit mine the pullman dads (R,I,P)

Buggered that up,

IMG_20181115_173452.jpg

IMG_20180829_101155.png