Robert Baillie Transport,Portsmouth and Horndean

Ray Smyth:
I have just had a closer look at Atkinson Borderer POA 509M, pictured above,
and the drivers nickname “SHY TOT” is in the windscreen. I do not know his
real name, but I expect some Portsmouth/Horndean lads will know who it is.

Regards, Ray Smyth. : :question: :question:

I only saw this vehicle in Horndean once (you couldn’t forget that name in a hurry, although I was quite young and naive at the the time and my Dad had to explain what it meant!)
I think it was based at the Doncaster depot?? No idea at all who the regular driver was.

Regards. Tim Walker.

The building on the left of the picture with 4 Gable Ends was the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie from
about 1965 until 1976. For many years before, it was the Banana Ripening Rooms of Fyffes Bananas.
In front of the building are 3 of Baillies artics loaded with 20 ton loads from Heinz at Kitt Green, Wigan.
These loads would leave about 6pm, driven by Horndean based drivers, 2 of them would be for delivery
to Heinz at Harlesden, London, NW10, and the other for Heinz warehouse in Southampton.
Ahead of the 3 loaded lorries is one of Baillies 30ft trailers, with an insulated container, which were
used for the delivery of “Jamaican Producers Bananas”, originally loaded at London Docks, but in later
days, the bananas were loaded at Sheerness in Kent. On the right is Wigan North Western Station,
on the main line from London to Glasgow. Picture quality not very good. Ray Smyth.

Further to the picture posted above, these pictures are from Kevan Taylor, a very skilled model railway enthusiast,
originally from Wigan, who now lives in Australia. The black & white picture will be from the early 1960s, with many
railway wagons, in what was a busy goods yard, some alongside what was then Fyffes Banana Ripening Rooms, soon
to become the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie Transport. The other pictures show Kevan`s modelling skills, the third
picture shows Fyffes Banana ripening building, soon to become the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie & Co. Ltd.

Ray Smyth.

Some of these pictures of Atkinson Borderer ETX 993K have been seen on this thread before.
ETX was new to John Raymond of Bridgend, In the late 1970s it joined the Robert Baillie fleet
at Horndean. I don’t have any detail of the next owner, but I know that it went to Sarnia Services
in Guernsey. It is seen here on its return to Hampshire, soon to travel to Tony Henwood in Suffolk,
on the White Commander/Low Loader of Mick Ansell for a full rebuild and restoration. I would be
keen to see ETX when it attends its next rally.

Ray Smyth.

ETX 993K......jpg

ETX 993K.png

Robert Baillie & Co Ltd were based in Central House,27 Park St,Croydon.
In April 1965 they had 2 operations:-
2 Rigid vans & 2 artics c/w flat trlrs based at Jackson & Mills yard,Station Road, Hook & 6 artics c/w flat trlrs based at The Old Customs House,Aldrington Basin Shoreham.
All were engaged in the movement of fruit & flowers mainly imported through ports between Shoreham & Weymouth + Hurn airport to primary fruit & flower markets. It’s probable that the 2 vans serviced the Channel Island flower traffic arriving at Hurn…
By the end of '65,the Shoreham operation concentrated mainly on imported fruit at Shoreham for delivery to all the main markets.
In Feb 1967 Baillie’s Shoreham operation moved to Phyllis Avenue Peacehaven & the 6 trlrs now carried containers for Shoreham imported fruit & also bananas (presumably JP) imported through London Docks again destined for the main markets
By Feb 1968 the Peacehaven fleet had grown to 11 artics (& 11 containers) but volumes through Shoreham had dwindled.the majority of the fruit imports were through Portsmouth.
Time to find a location nearer Portsmouth?

roolechat:
Robert Baillie & Co Ltd were based in Central House,27 Park St,Croydon.
In April 1965 they had 2 operations:-
2 Rigid vans & 2 artics c/w flat trlrs based at Jackson & Mills yard,Station Road, Hook & 6 artics c/w flat trlrs based at The Old Customs House,Aldrington Basin Shoreham.
All were engaged in the movement of fruit & flowers mainly imported through ports between Shoreham & Weymouth + Hurn airport to primary fruit & flower markets. It’s probable that the 2 vans serviced the Channel Island flower traffic arriving at Hurn…
By the end of '65,the Shoreham operation concentrated mainly on imported fruit at Shoreham for delivery to all the main markets.
In Feb 1967 Baillie’s Shoreham operation moved to Phyllis Avenue Peacehaven & the 6 trlrs now carried containers for Shoreham imported fruit & also bananas (presumably JP) imported through London Docks again destined for the main markets
By Feb 1968 the Peacehaven fleet had grown to 11 artics (& 11 containers) but volumes through Shoreham had dwindled.the majority of the fruit imports were through Portsmouth.
Time to find a location nearer Portsmouth?

Hi roolechat, Thank you for this information, I have learned more today about Robert Baillie Transport than I ever expected.
Were you ever involved with Baillies, or know any of their workforce ?. Are you aware of any Baillies pictures, particularly from
the early days as described above ?. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth, ex Robert Baillie, Wigan Depot.

Further pictures of ETX 993K whilst undergoing a major rebuild and refurbishment
by Tony Henwood in Suffolk, and the very smart completed Atkinson Borderer.
Ray Smyth. raysmyth6644@gmail.com

Baillie ETX 993K.jpg

I am deeply saddened to announce the passing of Terry Walker. Terry was Fleet Engineer with
Robert Baillie & Co Ltd right from the start of the company, and remained there throughout his
working life. Because of failing sight, Terry spent the last 20 years at The Blind Veterans Home,
formerly known as St Dunstans near Brighton. It was a privilege to have known Terry Walker.
God bless Terry, Rest in peace. Ray Smyth.

I am deeply saddened to announce that Les Fuge passed away at Christmas time.
I first met Les on the day that I started at the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie, early 1970.
Les had driven up from Horndean overnight in his Atkinson, 5505 ET with a full
shoot of cauliflowers from Brittany, and I set off to Liverpool Wholesale Fruit
Market at Edge Lane to deliver them. Fond memories of Les…Rest in peace.
Ray Smyth.

During the late 1960s, and well into the 1970s, Robert Baillie subbed most of the Guernsey Tomatoes work for
Belfast wholesale fruit & vegetable market to Agnew & Lithgow from Stranraer, The Belfast load would arrive
at Baillies Wigan depot on night trunk from Horndean, or sometimes, direct from loading at the Albert Johnson
Quay at Portsmouth. If it was a full load, Agnew & Lithgow would take Baillies loaded trailer to Belfast via the
short sea crossing from Stranraer to Belfast. If it was a part load for Belfast, it would be transferred on to Agnews
trailer. At the time Baillies airline suzies were “Palm Couplings”, and Agnews were the “Push-on” type, so it was
necessary to have coupling adaptors always available for each time they coupled to a Robert Baillie trailer.
Occasionally, one of Baillies drivers from Wigan depot had to take the loaded trailer to the Agnew & Lithgow
local depot at Rochdale. Now and again, a Baillies lorry and driver would do the Belfast.

Ray Smyth.

When I started at Robert Baillie in early 1970, I along with the other drivers were issued with “Boiler Suit” overalls.
About a year later, we were issued with the more modern 2 piece jacket and trousers overalls,and a company tie.
My Great-Nephew, Chris Roberts has created this image of what the ties looked like. I have wondered if there are
any of these ties gathering dust in someones cupboard or wardrobe. :question: Ray Smyth

Atkinson Borderer ETX 993K was new to John Raymond at Bridgend in South Wales. It passed to
Robert Baillie & Co Ltd at Horndean in the late 1970s. I think it later spent some time at Eagleway
Freight at Fareham, but I am not certain. After some time with Sarnia Services in Guernsey, ETX
returned to the UK, and has been restored to a high standard by Tony Henwood. Not my picture.
Ray Smyth.

ETX 993k ....jpg

ETX 993K, Atkinson, ex John Raymond, Robert Baillie, and Sarnia Services.
Fully restored by Tony Henwood. Picture by Mike 55.
Ray Smyth.

Here is some thing for the Robert baillie fitters.

1 picture here. 3 to follow…

truckworld:

Hi TW, Thank you for posting the Robert Baillie workshop vehicle sheets. Where did you find them ?
Tim Walker, who posted many of the pictures on this thread, served his time as a Motor Vehicle
engineer with Baillies, his Dad, Terry was the head fleet engineer from when Baillies first started
in the 1960s. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ex Robert Baillie Atkinson, ETX 993K, restored by Tony Henwood, ready for painting and signwriting.
Picture courtesy of Tony Henwood.

Ray Smyth.

Robert Baillie ETX 993K.jpg

Tony Henwood`s Ex Robert Baillie Atkinson ETX 993K
Picture by Tony Henwood.

Robert Baillie Atkinson, POA 509M loading Guernsey Tomatoes.
I have tried to enlarge the picture a bit, but without success.
Some Trucknet chaps with more skills than me could do better, :slight_smile:

Ray Smyth.

Robert Baillie Gurnsey Tomatoes.jpg

Another picture of Ex Robert Baillie Atkinson, ETX 993X, from Tony Henwood.