Reversing

I got a couple of new tips for positioning prior to the reverse. Positioning is the most important part, of course - get that right and the reverse itself should be straightforward (or should I say straightbackward).

If you’ve got enough space to pull a long way forward in front of the bay:

• drive along the front of the bays (on your right)
  • when you are level with the bay you want, stop for a second and look out of your nearside window to take a line of sight to an object in line with the bay
  • start your turn ONE BAY ON from the one you want, hard left, then straighten up facing the line of sight object and drive forwards
    Now you should be well aligned for a straight reverse into the bay

If there is less room in front, but enough for a 45 degree (or so) angle of attack:

• drive past the bay (on your right)
  • start the turn TWO BAYS ON from the bay you want, hard left, then forward as far as you can with a right hand flick and forward a few more feet at the end
    Now you should have a good bend on, with vision over your right shoulder into the bay and you can gently follow the bend through

I’ve done a few tighter turns in the last couple of days which involve hard round 90 degrees but I haven’t figured out the geometry yet, it is just a bit of guesswork and fix/repair on the bend if I got the initial turn a bit wrong. Get it too wrong and it is a pull out and start again job.

Apologies if this is all wrong, but it seems to be working for me so far.