Reversing onto loading bays

Can I just add to this post everyone on here is right just take it slow I used to watch the shunters cause they do it everyday and they know exactly where to position them the other thing is dont put your full lock on when starting the reverse hope this helps.

scally2:
Can I just add to this post everyone on here is right just take it slow I used to watch the shunters cause they do it everyday and they know exactly where to position them the other thing is dont put your full lock on when starting the reverse hope this helps.

Just had another thought of what i do when reversing , if before you start have a look at drivers side wheel on the unit and position it on the curve you want as if you have driven in and round to position the trailer in a good place the wheel if often in the wrong position for starting the reverse ie to much lock on so your trailer will start going skew whiff before you even start so have it approx turned for the curve you need :bulb:

I am fortunate in that I have always been good at reversing. Except for many years ago when I started on wagon and drags with an A-Frame hitch. That took me three months to master but it came good eventually.
The advice I always give to newbies is to concentrate solely on your middle axle placing. Assuming you are pulling a tri axle trailer, then the trailer will turn purely on the middle axle. Ignore what the other two axles are doing. If it is a bay with the yellow lines, then try to place the middle axle on the yellow line and the rest will fall into place. Pull the unit forward and when you start going backwards, aim the middle axle for the yellow line. Remember to take the lock off in time so you don’t overcook it. Don’t use the throttle … let the clutch take you back and that is the correct speed. Even now after 31 years of reversing, I still only use the clutch and brake to reverse.

I was the exact same as you when I started in January reversing was my nemesis (our yard is not the biggest) but I sorted myself out by going in on a weekend and using the shunter to move trailers about putting them in tight spaces reversing onto bays etc. It sorted me out as I was thinking about reversing all the time I was heading to a drop basically getting myself tied in knots when It’s really not as frightening as it seems.

As said before take your time. Remember that it is easier to steepen the angle between unit and trailer than it is to remove it. Try to avoid using too much lock. Going from full lock to full lock is a hard way to procede.

Watch the trailer wheels carefully and remember that you need to start straightening the unit up before the wheels of the trailer are aligned with the bay marker lines. As soon as you realise you’ve over cooked it, stop and pull forward. If you try and steer out of it you won’t achieve anything except getting a sweat on!

It takes practise and confidence but it WILL come in time. :sunglasses: