Reversing.......again!

toonsy:

mark1284:
https://youtu.be/_EkoMib4q4Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure this chap is particularly helpful or calming on the nerves lol

Having said that it’s at least some support. My first day I was thrown the keys and sent off to basically spend the day [zb] myself but it soon wore off.

Trouble with reversing is that the guy who demonstrates is so experienced “it’s instinct”… that is what one is aiming for. For me getting the correct reference is critical. On Friday I did two 90 degs perfectly no shunts… and then when the boss came out I goofed.

When it comes to tight parallel parking at a service station I notice that the folks do the 90 deg pivot trailor wheels outside (well clear) of the parking area and thus enter the space straight. Neither of the clips demonstrate that which must be a better and less risky approach than coming in at the 45 deg angle. With this approach a blind reverse or good side is similar risk. I notice on another clip the US blokes always do this approach. I’d be grateful if someone experienced could give their comments. Where I struggle is trying to choose the correct reference point which is critical to the manoeuvre.

Remember on a tri axle trailer your pivot point is the middle axle.

I see down south way there are some companies that give further training after you pass around reversing. Like real world reversing not just that test reversing exercise. The advertise tight spaces, blindside reversing, reversing onto bays etc

Is there any that anyone knows up up north. Preferably north east but anywhere north would do.

Thanks

Having now had a couple of weeks of tramping I am pleased to say it has been a good step for me - beginning to enjoy the artic now - having just hated it at first. For the OP I would just like to say that try and stay with the same motor, the more familiar you get the better you will do - the reversing apprehension wears off. I was really worried about reversing initially and one simply has to get in practice… the big help in my view is having one’s own truck that you get used to. Changing trucks each day is certainly not for me.

Been in London and loads of tight places - virtually pulled my hair out and I think that’s the way. I don’t try and reverse straight always a curve albeit a slight curve. Here’s some pics of a job last week that was a recessed bay which I did in one shot no shunts. It seems to be acquiring an instinct almost - before I start the manoeuvre I know it feels right and will work. Bit then there are other times that i make a bosh… brain just not connecting like early in the morning!

As soon as the trailer starts turning you need to be getting your steering lock off and straightening the cab to the trailer otherwise the trailer will keep turning .
Put your head out of the window until the cab is straight with the trailer.
Your right the mirror gives a different view which is why head out the window is much better until you are happy to use the mirror.
Reversing is something the you can do in one or take multiple shunts but the main thing is if in doubt shunt as it’s better not to hit anything.
As others have said the fact you haven’t given up is good but don’t worry one day it will click and you will find you reverse in one most times Isay most as even those good at reversing still need shunts especially on the easier reverses as the harder it is the more you concentrate.
Practice in your yard when you can as the more you do it the easier it is to understand how the trailer moves .

Forgot to say when reversing if you have a large enough yard it’s better if you can get the trailer in the position you want it to go into the space before it actually goes in ie the trailer is straight to go back between the lines before you are actually between the lines .

Gillberry:
As soon as the trailer starts turning you need to be getting your steering lock off and straightening the cab to the trailer otherwise the trailer will keep turning .
Put your head out of the window until the cab is straight with the trailer.
Your right the mirror gives a different view which is why head out the window is much better until you are happy to use the mirror.
Reversing is something the you can do in one or take multiple shunts but the main thing is if in doubt shunt as it’s better not to hit anything.
As others have said the fact you haven’t given up is good but don’t worry one day it will click and you will find you reverse in one most times Isay most as even those good at reversing still need shunts especially on the easier reverses as the harder it is the more you concentrate.
Practice in your yard when you can as the more you do it the easier it is to understand how the trailer moves .

I wasn’t the OP - but anyway you make a very valid point the harder the task the more you concentrate and I’ve found one performs better. Its simply practice and practice BUT for me the big difference is having one’s own truck.

I am hoping the OP has re-read this thread.

This past week I have found that my reversing has continually got better. Then I had a bombshell - a new DAF unit to drive on Fri. There was one reference to DAF from a member and I agree 110% - it’s absolutely awful.

It seems to “over steer” or “run away with you”. One starts reversing down one’s curve and then straightening up… and the trailer just continues without correction. It seems one has to then over correct as well. I found it utterly humiliating after my efforts in Mercedes, Volvo, Scania, Renault - these I’ve found much the same. That day I only had to go onto a Waitrose bay almost straight - trailer went all over the place… must have been about 4-5 shunts I did just to get her neatly in the yellow lines.

When I got back to the yard I asked the driver trainers and they agreed. Obviously with practice one gets used to it but its more difficult than the other four makes I have used. Yesterday I met a driver who seemed to be having trouble on a bay and… yeah guess what using a DAF for the first time (he said) and judging by his age possibly 30 years experience.

For the OP I wonder now if he is using a DAF and has been struggling. Its DAF NOT him! Not the unit make to learn reversing with. At work I’ve requested not to use the DAFs - don’t see why I should risk a bump and endure the additional stress.

jessejazza:

This past week I have found that my reversing has continually got better. Then I had a bombshell - a new DAF unit to drive on Fri. There was one reference to DAF from a member and I agree 110% - it’s absolutely awful.

It seems to “over steer” or “run away with you”. One starts reversing down one’s curve and then straightening up… and the trailer just continues without correction. It seems one has to then over correct as well. I found it utterly humiliating after my efforts in Mercedes, Volvo, Scania, Renault - these I’ve found much the same. That day I only had to go onto a Waitrose bay almost straight - trailer went all over the place… must have been about 4-5 shunts I did just to get her neatly in the yellow lines.

When I got back to the yard I asked the driver trainers and they agreed. Obviously with practice one gets used to it but its more difficult than the other four makes I have used. Yesterday I met a driver who seemed to be having trouble on a bay and… yeah guess what using a DAF for the first time (he said) and judging by his age possibly 30 years experience.

For the OP I wonder now if he is using a DAF and has been struggling. Its DAF NOT him! Not the unit make to learn reversing with. At work I’ve requested not to use the DAFs - don’t see why I should risk a bump and endure the additional stress.

I’d agree on that.

I noticed it between scanias, the older gen shape around 13/14plt you had control, the new gens all you do is whisper an it’s into the trees [emoji38]

It’ll be to do with steering ratios/power assistance pressure, the tyres especially and their pressures WILL make it glide lol.
Add ya load status and trailer config/difference coupled with the obvious such as wear on components on an older model and less “driver comfort” design and id say there’s the answers.

Having had the pleasure of some of Stobarts scanias, it was shocking how ■■■■■ some of the older ones were, slack as hookers cracks which made it very difficult when your a new pass as you could guarantee soon as you jumped in a new gen you’d be as above, jacknifed at 2mph, now add the auto brake an your a laughing stock [emoji38]

I Did an assessment other week in a brand new scania, suffice to say even with a yard the size of Heathrow, dead empty, bays lined out to the max…

I needed a dozen shunts thanks in no small part to the auto break too, less is definitely more in these new shiny motors.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

jessejazza:

Benjie83:
I’d agree on that.

I noticed it between scanias, the older gen shape around 13/14plt you had control, the new gens all you do is whisper an it’s into the trees [emoji38]

It’ll be to do with steering ratios/power assistance pressure, the tyres especially and their pressures WILL make it glide lol.
Add ya load status and trailer config/difference coupled with the obvious such as wear on components on an older model and less “driver comfort” design and id say there’s the answers.

Having had the pleasure of some of Stobarts scanias, it was shocking how [zb] some of the older ones were, slack as hookers cracks which made it very difficult when your a new pass as you could guarantee soon as you jumped in a new gen you’d be as above, jacknifed at 2mph, now add the auto brake an your a laughing stock [emoji38]

I Did an assessment other week in a brand new scania, suffice to say even with a yard the size of Heathrow, dead empty, bays lined out to the max…

I needed a dozen shunts thanks in no small part to the auto break too, less is definitely more in these new shiny motors.

DAF and Iveco I have always found have the best seats for my back adn that’s why I have liked them for rigids. The Daf artic unit is the only one I have found a pain with reversing. I’ll just have to experiment more next time I get one. I’ve noticed some folk use a steering knob which would allow one to take off the lock a bit quicker - I’m not so quick getting the steering wheel round as some folk.