RETIREMENT

A driver i used to work with retired for 4 months, couldn’t hack it, now 72 and still driving. And I’ve heard a story or two! Come on, we need decent drivers!
If not then enjoy your retirement.
All the best.

Mr B:
just cos you’re retired now dont forget to keep sharing your experience with us poor sods.
i hope you enjoy a long retirement.

Here here! all the best with your retirement :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Truckboy

Good luck on your retirment.

Checking the National Archieves Currency Conversion on the tinternet 4 pounds and 5d would be worth 61 pounds and 52 pence today

Steve

Hiya truckboy…pulled the stop cable for good pal…i would,nt bother anymore its crap out there
nowadays.i do go back now and then but its internal at shell stanlow none of that ratrace lark.
i,am only 60 now. sit back have a good rest you,ve done your stint.look at the other buggers
pulling their gut out. good luck happy retirment all the best
John

There are lots of variables when calculating current values but £4 in 1960 would be worth about £170 today if you use an average earnings calculation.

Good luck truckerboy,I retire next year 70 weeks!!! who’se counting■■? keep us informed of your activities. I took up cycling again two years ago, my plan is to cycle the route of Hadrians Wall just after I retire. I don’t think I would like to ride a bike around the “smoke” so that’s probably not something you will consider. Best wishes kevmac47.

Enjoy your retirement, you’ve earned it.
It’s a shame when the ‘old boys’ leave, they have so much knowledge and wisdom to pass on. I’d love to spend a week with one, I’ve so much to learn about being a trucker and no one gives a toss if you don’t know something.

My best piece of advise to anyone new to the job is, DON’T BE SCARED TO ASK!!! We all do it all the time. Yes you will find the jodrells that patronise and look down their nose at you, but I promise you you will find most drivers won’t have a problem with helping you. I’m still learning after 43 years doing the job. regards kevmac47.

Lucky bugger, I’ve only got erm

37 years to go, if it stays at 65 :frowning: I’ll have to start playing the lottery or something :laughing:

xtruckerlady:
Enjoy your retirement, but you will probably find that you are busier then than when you were working!Regards, xtruckerlady

I was looking forward to retirement,but when it came after 2 weeks I was bored out of my skull,so off down the agency.Did some good jobs and some crap jobs until I found this job,easiest job I’ve ever done,now been here for almost 8 years.
Although only doing two night trunks a week,the rest of my week is full with other things to do and it is true,you can be busier when retired than when working,but at least,you can choose when to work and when not to.
I’m coming up to 68 this time around,but as long as I pass the medical and feel as well as I do today,I can’t see me parking up just yet!

Best of luck to you fella! Hope you have a happy retirement, my grandad is shortly going to retire either this or next year, can’t remember which! But after 40+ years in this industry he’s earned his rest. As have you. Be a bloody luxury being able to have a lay in on a morning and think nothing of it. Would be good to hear/read a few of your stories of in the old days on the road. I always love asking my grandad about the old days how it use to be. Suppose thats where my love for this industry started, Just a shame it isn’t like that now!!

Happy retirement!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

thanks for all your replies and encouragement, i am just lazing about at the moment, butb i9 will go back working for 2/3 days a week max. I have a meeting at the company tomorrow to discuss my new contract, or to decide whether they will let me work for them.
At least my wife has a cooked meal waiting for when she gets in from work…i actually enjoy cooking…i made a nice russian salad today…and took a trip to the supermarket for some shopping ( she`ll kill me when she finds out ) only went in for bread and milk…spent £66… put your tin hats on…ha ha
I am learning guitar, and have enrolled in a local college as i think you should have a teacher to tell ya where your going wrong…its all good fun from april 28th…
I will keep in touch of course as i owe an allegience to trucknet, as they sent me on a dream trip to america for the truck show ( mats )
My licence was only a car licence up until 1974 when the hgv licence came about, and it was given to any driver who was driving at the time certain types of vehicle…eg: rigids, artics and you had to get your transport manager at the time to counter sign the application form as to what type of vehicle…so now you know why my signature says "whats a test "
i never took a test for a commercial vehicle, only for my car test which was in a 1957 ford anglia (100e ) which belonged to my brother in law, i still have my first licence ( a little red book ) and also my HGV licences which is a little black book, and a little brown one too, and that was going to make us into professionals…still waiting for that one…maybe the cpc will do it as well,ha ha…dont hold your breath…

darkseeker:
Lucky bugger, I’ve only got erm

37 years to go, if it stays at 65 :frowning: I’ll have to start playing the lottery or something :laughing:

According to the pension calculator you’'ll be required to work to 68!

pensions-service.direct.gov.uk/e … r/home.asp

I had a Ford Popular 100e model ,do you remember the vacuum tank that operated the wipers and the 3 speed box oh yes and the side valve engine.

Dont remind me…had air wipers on the trucks in the early days…worked when they thought they would, never worked when you needed them…oh how lucky drivers are today with all the mod cons…at least we never had mobiles.